Random Comic Book Crap

I'm having such a hard time tearing myself away from getting monthlies. There are a couple I'm still going to pick up, but I really need to move to trade waiting. It's just a hard habit to break.

I say this with experience, but believe me, once you switch to being a trade waiter, you'll never go back to floppies.
I think the really hard part is immediacy. Like, I know the next arc of Spectacular Spider-Man will be out in trade in 7 months ... or I could start reading it this Wednesday. Justice League is the really hard one because I know the trades are going to be far behind since it's double shipping each month. Tomasi finished with Superman months ago and it'll still be into next year before his run is finished being collected into paperback.

I just need to take this time to catch up on the many unread trades I've accumulated, and keep a schedule of when trades I want are coming to the comic shop.

I think the really hard part is immediacy. Like, I know the next arc of Spectacular Spider-Man will be out in trade in 7 months ... or I could start reading it this Wednesday. Justice League is the really hard one because I know the trades are going to be far behind since it's double shipping each month. Tomasi finished with Superman months ago and it'll still be into next year before his run is finished being collected into paperback.

I just need to take this time to catch up on the many unread trades I've accumulated, and keep a schedule of when trades I want are coming to the comic shop.
B-b-but...! Then you get awesome looking bookcases!

B-b-but...! Then you get awesome looking bookcases!

Maybe when we get a house :p. Right now I'm trying to be careful how much I accumulate for the tiny bookspace we have.

I also need to figure out what to do with all these X-Factor floppies. There's stuff you can donate to the children's hospital, and then there's stuff you really, really can't.

Okay, I did it. I cancelled half my pull list. (I wish phone calls weren't so hard for me.) Gotta support the low end books that will be cancelled if they drop even one more subscriber *pour one out for A-Force* but the other stuff that's guaranteed to last, I can wait. And it's not like the comic shop will lose money. I'll just now have more money to buy other trades, test new Image and Boom series, etc.

Okay, I did it. I cancelled half my pull list. (I wish phone calls weren't so hard for me.) Gotta support the low end books that will be cancelled if they drop even one more subscriber *pour one out for A-Force* but the other stuff that's guaranteed to last, I can wait. And it's not like the comic shop will lose money. I'll just now have more money to buy other trades, test new Image and Boom series, etc.
I don't know what your local library is like, but I also recommend borrowing stuff out and trying books there, too, if you're unsure about slapping money down for them. I've discovered or tried SO many books thanks to my library. I plan on buying many of them when I can, like Transmetropolitan and The Sixth Gun.

I don't know what your local library is like, but I also recommend borrowing stuff out and trying books there, too, if you're unsure about slapping money down for them. I've discovered or tried SO many books thanks to my library. I plan on buying many of them when I can, like Transmetropolitan and The Sixth Gun.
I guess I meant new things :p. I can test the waters of the untested.

Our library has a sizable length of shelf space reserved for graphic novels and almost nothing on them. We wandered over to check them out. There's a few Batman books from various eras, some scattered incomplete manga, a chunk of Spider-man and X-Men, some Hellboy, and maybe a volume here and there of a few other things. They have the entirety of Y: The Last Man, so I plan to borrow those a couple at a time and read them. That's about it though. There's a ton of open shelf space for more.

I donated some more miscellaneous stuff, and also Lemire's whole run of Animal Man.

A recent issue of (I think) Suicide Squad revealed in a throwaway line that Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy eloped to Vegas.

We had ALLLLLL that Bat/Cat nonsense and build-up just for it to be a fake out, but those two get married off-panel? Where's their wedding special?

I'd imagine some pervy fan-artists are drawing the special right now. Give it a week or so & Gas will probably post a link to it in the NSFW subforum.

Wow, it's that late in the month already. August flew by.

So October has James Tynion heading the Justice League Dark/Wonder Woman crossover, The Witching Hour, and then in November the Justice League/Aquaman crossover, Drowned Earth. I like DC's approach of zipping through them in a month instead of dragging them out. I'm still going to trade wait those stories, but it's neat.

G Willow Wilson on Wonder Woman, I might not be able to trade wait that.

Marvel's November solicitations are a glut of event tie-ins. I think there are more tie-in minis for Spidergeddon and Infinity Wars than regular ongoings.

Me: Ugh. I've been buying way too many comics lately. I still have to read 4 volumes of Strangers in Paradise, 4 volumes of Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, 3 Lumberjanes Deluxe Editions, and the stuff from DCAF. I REALLY need to read those before I buy...

Chapters/Indigo.ca: Buy Any One Graphic Novel, Get One 50% off!

Also me:

The other half is, sometimes my... proclivities... are distracting.

Also I don't like certain kinds of people having basically sudo command access over me.
This is why I'm glad I'm unusually specific.
Also that I can "appreciate" without necessarily becoming enthralled.

--Patrick