Quitting Smoking

So,

I'm trying to quit smoking again. My method is to try and quit cold turkey. I think I might also use this space to record when I smoke and when I don't as a way of remembering what I do.

The longest I have been able to go without a smoke is about 1.5 months when I was back in Canada and afterwards. Shortly after getting back to China the cravings kicked back in. I don't know if it's the face there are people smoking on every street corner her, cigs only cost about 1$ a pacl or the fact I'm pretty certain I'll be getting lung cancer here no matter what I do, but I can't seem to quit the habit in China itself.

Currently I smoke about 2-3 cigarettes a day I would prefer to cut it out of my life completely or else limit it to the times I go out drinking with my friends.

Hell, just smoking when I'm trying to stay awake in the factory would be good enough for me.

So here, I start my online smoking journal.

I watched both of my parents struggle to quit for years while I was growing up. It was very hard for both of them, especially my mother.

I wish you the bestest of best luck in beating the habit, sir! :)

Dave

Staff member
If you want to do this psychologically, keep 1 cigarette in your pocket. Whenever you have a craving, take it out, look at it and say, "Who's stronger: me or you?" Then put it back.

Well went to an all chambers of commerce meeting a month ago. Ran into an ex from Canada who was a japanese exchange student at the time but is now working for a japanese company of some kind in qingdao now. Ended up having a cig and a large drink afterwards but thank god I avoided her room like the plague.

Today is day three of quitting again.

Well went to an all chambers of commerce meeting a month ago. Ran into an ex from Canada who was a japanese exchange student at the time but is now working for a japanese company of some kind in qingdao now. Ended up having a cig and a large drink afterwards but thank god I avoided her room like the plague.

Today is day three of quitting again.
The road to success is paved with failure.

And asphalt.

Mostly asphalt.

Dave

Staff member
I could sleep now. In fact, I really, really want to. But it's only 7:50 in the morning where I'm at, so that's bad.

Its nine pm here

I'm watching cabin in the woods and being an asshole.

Think I offended bowie again, need to stop doing that.

Dave

Staff member
Its nine pm here

I'm watching cabin in the woods and being an asshole.

Think I offended bowie again, need to stop doing that.
Offend away. At least you have the smokes to blame it on. Most of us are just assholes without a cause.

Nah I'm just an asshole that is tired of having to worry about offending people.

First you worry about giving a clock as a gift
Then you worry about offering anything with the number four in it
Then you start to think maybe you SHOULD consult that fengshui master

Fuck easily offended people. There are an infinite number of cultures in this world and ones hello is another's. I slept with your wife.

Don't remember if I've mentioned this on the board before, but when I was still a convenience store employee, I would tell the people who complained about trying to quit the following: You are not buying a pack of 20 cigarettes. Instead, it's like a game. You are buying a box with 20 chances to quit inside. If you quit and there are still cigarettes left in the box, then you win the game.

--Patrick

No supervisor ever has issue with an employee making a customer feel good about making that purchase at his store. No successful supervisor, anyway.

Also, there is a much higher margin on sugary drinks, salty snacks, etc. than there is on cigarettes.

--Patrick

Nah I'm just an asshole that is tired of having to worry about offending people.

First you worry about giving a clock as a gift
Then you worry about offering anything with the number four in it
Then you start to think maybe you SHOULD consult that fengshui master

Fuck easily offended people. There are an infinite number of cultures in this world and ones hello is another's. I slept with your wife.
I don't think it's outrageous that I ask people not use fag as an insult. Nor do I think that makes me "easily offended".

Truth be told, the insinuation actually pisses me off far more than the actual usage.

So.....
Ok, so look at my name. Let's all just get it out of the way, Necro'ing threads is what I do.
Second, lets some of us who've been around forever, remember that the conversation of quitting smoking has come up several times in the past, and talk about using e-cigs has also come up.
I am trying to do the.... "quit" thing again. Although I use it in " " s because, honest, I was doing the patch, I was then cheating, now I have picked up a new e-cig... in reality, I'm still trying to get the nicotine. Is that honestly really quitting? I still am putting the actual drug into my body, a few less toxins, still the major drug. And fuck knows, currently in the US there's no regulations on what they put in this glycol nicotine substance I am not ingesting, probably rat shit or, worse off, the same shit I put into my body with normal cigarettes.

So, anyhow, let's bring back up this subject. @The_Khan, how did you end up doing? Have you managed? At one time in this thread you said about 2-3 a day. Fuck, that was awesome by itself. AT 2 - 3 a day I would never worry about stopping. it's the one to three packs a day that is just shit.

@Tinwhistler, I remember once before in a thread that touched on this subject (no, lazy, I'm not looking for it right now) you mentioned going to the e-cigs. Have you stayed with those? Have you kicked nicotine all together?

@Halforumites_all_together... please feel free to chime in.