PS4

fade

Staff member
My son really wants a PS4 for Christmas. Can anybody who has one give me a quick review? How's it vs. the XBone? I've looked around the web, but the sum total of all the web reviews is 0, because the negative reviews are balanced by the super positive ones.

We have a PS3 now, and I've never bothered upgrading because it seems like everything's plateaued. I mean, the fact that the PS3 lasted for 10 years with new games is just about unprecedented.

And, yes, we already have a kick-ass gaming PC, but I'm the only one who uses it. The kids prefer the console. If for nothing else, so they can stand around it with their friends yelling and shouting.

I have PS4, previously had PS3, Xbox original and 360. I have no plans for Xbox One, despite limited backward compatibility, as I am more interested in the PS4 exclusive games, and the main reason (and the one I've seen in most comparison reviews) - 3 friends have PS4, none have XB1. So really, the best advice I have is go with whichever one more of his (or your) friends have.

I made the choice between the Xbone and PS4 too, and ended up going with the PS4. The reality is, the vast majority of big titles come out on both PS4 and the Xbone, but the PS4 will ultimately run them better and at higher rez (1080p) than the Xbone.

I like the PSN online network better as well. Not to mention I'm personally interested in all the PS4 exclusives.

Does your son like Halo? If he's a big fan, just go with the Xbox. If he has no opinion, go with the PS4, hands down.

fade

Staff member
Well, I bought one of these for the family, and I'm disappointed in the game selection. Then again, that's SOP for Playstation since the first one: bland stuff in the beginning, then you get the good stuff.

As much as I hate to sound like the PC elite, it is rather annoying that most of the titles are just PC ports. Needs more console games that take advantage of the consoley-ness.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, we bemoan that so many PC games are hobbled by having to be coded to run on consoles.

But it could be worse, you could have bought an XBone.

Me, if you held a gun to my head and said pick a console to buy, I'd have gone with Wii-U. At least there, the games aren't multiplatform (usually).

I love the 3DS thing so much I did the PC master race thing and spent a couple hundred dollars for a marginal upgrade to it.

fade

Staff member
My son had a 3DS. He never played it. He sold it and used the money to buy Jordans.

To be clear, as in the OP, I have a nice PC, but the kids don't like sitting in the office playing on a computer. They like a console for the same reason I do (I like both): you can flip it on, yell at it with friends, then flip it off. Also, I had the PS3 for years, and I am now upgrading to a PS4 and selling the PS3, so, I've upgraded for about $150 bucks with the consoles, too.

They should have to work their way up from Atari to the PS4. Once the appreciate the classics then give them HiDef masterpieces. All the while reminiscing, "When I was your age, we didn't even have enough bits to make a byte!"