PS4

Video won't play, so I assume it's just some jackass blowing a brand new $400 gaming system to bits with a .50 cal. What's the point exatly? He's such a badass that he has a spare $400 to waste destroying a perfectly good piece of gaming hardware? Woooo, 'Merica!

Anyways, I did a small amount of looking for headlines & so far I haven't seen any reports of day 1 catastrophes. No blue dickpunch of sadness reports anywhere. I wasn't around for the 360 launch. How soon after launch did RRoD start to manifest itself?

he has a spare $400 to waste destroying a perfectly good piece of gaming hardware? Woooo, 'Merica!
Pretty much. "Lookit me, I bought one and don't even care! BLAMMO! Hmm, that tiny hole is unsatisfactory. BLAMMO! (bits fly everywhere) Ah, that's much better."
It's just video trolling.

--Patrick

Pretty much. "Lookit me, I bought one and don't even care! BLAMMO! Hmm, that tiny hole is unsatisfactory. BLAMMO! (bits fly everywhere) Ah, that's much better."
It's just video trolling.

--Patrick
I just watched the video, it doesn't look at all mean spirited. Looking at other videos, it looks like just plain spectacle. They take the newest tech and blow it up.

It's not a commentary. It's not trolling. It's just their schtick.

Didn't look at the other videos, so maybe it is their "thing."
I dunno. It just offends me when someone buys something expensive just to destroy it. Some good examples would be whoever decided it would be a good idea to ruin a couple of classic cars for Smash Mouth's "All Star" video, or the extreme example of those maniacal philatelists who have one of the only two stamps in existence, buy the other one, and then burn one just so that the other one will be worth more. Insane.

--Patrick

I think it's just another example of how ungrateful our society is for the amazing things available to us.

But whatever, they bought it with their money, so it's theirs to do with.

But whatever, they bought it with their money, so it's theirs to do with.
I agree with this. However I also reserve the right to call them assholes for it. When you have something someone else would like to have but can't for some reason, and then destroy it, you're an ass. You're within your rights to destroy your own property, but I'm also within my rights to call you an ass for doing such.

At this point you can't compare the rrod to the few failings of a launch product, I've seen 0.04% thrown around as the rate right now but who knows what the actual numbers are, it's just too early to say. Everything mass produced is going to inevitably have a few failures during production. When these start approaching the nigh 55% failure rate the 360's did, then let's start comparing them.

If no one bought consoles on release they would be immediately considered doa and publisher support would drop considrably.

That said, I bought one Thursday night, have been experiencing no problems thus far and am enjoying the games I have for it at the moment, though selection is limited, as it will be with any launch.

I feel like Nintendo is the only company that has some console-captain champion in the works for their releases, but that makes sense since all of it is done in-house anyway. I remember getting a PS2 for Christmas the year it launched (it busted not long after--not surprisingly). I had nothing to do for it except now I could play DVDs since we hadn't owned a DVD player before. I got one shitty game my mom hoped I would like, because even though I had asked for a PS2 and it was a great surprise, there was NOTHING to play on release. I ended up just playing PS1 games on it for the longest time, probably until Twisted Metal Black came out.

Compare that to the Gamecube, where Super Smash Bros Melee came out. I don't think my siblings and I did anything else that day, and it continued to be our most-played Gamecube game regardless of what else we purchased. Even when the Wii came out, we still popped Melee in all the time and hooked the Gamecube controllers to its ports. Nintendo was ready that year.

I was an incredibly fortunate kid that even though we didn't have a lot of money, my mom would still stand in line for hours trying to get this stuff for us ungrateful little shits. I'm gonna call her today.

The Wii-U was kind of a mess at launch too. There were quite a few reports of faulty hardware and the Nintendo network stuff was a hammered mess like all those networks end up being.

PS4 is looking to have a good end of year for 2014 (granted, some of those games are also coming for PC) but I won't be ready to jump on board until they get the whole PS3 streaming thing working. We just play our PS3 games too much and there's no room for another giant console in our entertainment unit.

But I'd really like to play Evolve. :(

Price for the console went up $50 today in Canada, games $10 and peripherals $10. Our dollar is dipping pretty low I guess but still sucks. Especially for the games to increase.

Dipping pretty low, I guess a little. It took A LONG FUCKING TIME when our dollar was at parity or worth more than the US dollar for the prices here to come down any before.

Fuck retailers and Sony.

When the Canadian dollar was 1.10 USD, we didn't get price drop on any Sony electronics. So now that there's a weakening Canadian dollar, they jack price up straight away. Bastards.

I didn't buy a PS4 nor do I plan to in the near future. Odds are, I won't near its end of its product life cycle.

Eh, I'll get one eventually. It's going to need to be at least a good year or two into it's cycle though so theres a wealth of games available. I have 2 ps3's (one stopped playing discs but runs fine) and tons of games thanks to PSN so… no rush here.

I was considering getting a PS4 for the master bedroom...but discovered that they don't have dlna support. We have a ps3 in the living room and an xbox 360 in the basement, and being able to access my media server is a huge bonus to what you can do in those locations.

Unfortunately for me, PS3s haven't really dropped in price since the ps4 launch. Bleh.

Get a smart tv. That's what I did when learnt this last year. I stream from my PC, heck even the web directly on it.

I have looked into them, but I have a hard time buying a new tv when there's a perfectly good one in there that's only a couple of years old. Getting a new console would at least let me play games and stuff as well as streaming my music and movies.

I have looked into them, but I have a hard time buying a new tv when there's a perfectly good one in there that's only a couple of years old. Getting a new console would at least let me play games and stuff as well as streaming my music and movies.
My understanding was they were going to add that support back in via software updates.

They're too busy right now being all Apple/Samsung at each other instead of spending time improving their platform.

--Patrick

I might get one eventually, but I'm in no rush. Just like the PS3, I'll probably wait until there's a Slim version. I'm sure that's inevitable (within, what? 3-ish years?).

Once I get a good paying job, my goal is to become a true member of the PC Master Race. That should make Sir @GasBandit happy. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
I might get one eventually, but I'm in no rush. Just like the PS3, I'll probably wait until there's a Slim version. I'm sure that's inevitable (within, what? 3-ish years?).

Once I get a good paying job, my goal is to become a true member of the PC Master Race. That should make Sir @GasBandit happy. :)
You can squire for me until you're fully depixelated.

One of us... one of us...