PS4

Is going to be AWESOME.

Who's excited after the shitty reveal of the XBox Juan and the lackluster Wii U?

If I were going to buy a console this gen (which I won't be), it would be the PS4 for sure. I've always preferred Sony since the PS1, and they've yet to disappoint.

I'm still not on board. I was until it was announced that we won't be able to transfer our PSN-bought games over to the next console. Older games like PS1 and PS2 titles, yes, but not things like anything from Telltale or Double Fine, etc.

That's just total bullshit right there and one of my biggest fears when it comes to digital games: the power being left in the seller and to hell with what the consumer wants. This isn't just a reverse compatibility issue. For the larger, triple A games, I can sort of understand (though still think it's ridiculous at this point, since they can all be digitally emulated now), but for the smaller titles like Limbo? Bullshit.

As I said in the Xbox One thread, I'm leaning more towards just getting a good, solid gaming PC for this generation.

Man, someone somewhere is going to want find an original Xbox one day and have a hard time explaining that they don't mean an Xbox one but the first Xbox.

But yeah PS4 should be pretty cool. I wonder how much it will cost though. Blue ray players aren't as expensive, which I feel like was a big reason the ps3 was so overpriced initially.

That's just total bullshit right there and one of my biggest fears when it comes to digital games: the power being left in the seller and to hell with what the consumer wants. This isn't just a reverse compatibility issue. For the larger, triple A games, I can sort of understand (though still think it's ridiculous at this point, since they can all be digitally emulated now), but for the smaller titles like Limbo? Bullshit.

They've said that they specifically don't want to support emulation, which is why PSN games are out until their developers re-build them to work under x86 instead of Cell. PS1, PS2, and PS3 games are going to be available over Gaikai, which is why they will (eventually) be available.

Most likely, previously-bought PSN games will either need to be re-built as x86 games or will be added to Gaikai somehow.

It's irritating, certainly, but if they don't want to support emulation when they completely change architectures there's nothing we can really do about it in the immediate sense (besides sticking with the PS3, of course).

I usually buy all of the console systems but between my lack of time for much gaming lately and the very disappointing Xbox One info that has been coming out I will buy a PS4 but unless some killer games are announced I will probably hold off so as not to go through the game drought that plagues most new console systems (Wii U especially).

You mean the same architecture these same games (mostly) already run under, on the XBox 360 and the PC? OH GOD THE TROUBLE.

Sure, but that's up the developers, not Sony.

You guys do realize that Sony isn't saying they won't sell new PSN games on the PS4 right? New PSN games will be built for the PS4. It's older PSN games currently available on the PS3/PSP/Vita that won't be compatible, and whether they will be compatible in the future is up to the devs.

Sure, but that's up the developers, not Sony.

You guys do realize that Sony isn't saying they won't sell new PSN games on the PS4 right? New PSN games will be built for the PS4. It's older PSN games currently available on the PS3/PSP/Vita that won't be compatible, and whether they will be compatible in the future is up to the devs.

Sure. I'm just saying that "rebuilding to work under a new architecture" isn't exactly hard work if you've already ported your game to what amounts to the same hardware earlier. Porting XB > PS4 is probably easier than PS3 > PS4.

Charging full price for the same game again if you have to completely rebuild from scratch is one thing, asking full price if your work is well over half done is shitty. I'm not sying it's shitty on Sony's part - I don't care who the shithead is, I own neither a PS3 or 4 nor a XBone or 360.

When you bought a given psn game, it didn't say it was going to be available on any other system, including the inevitable next console.

Backwards compatibility may increase the attractiveness of the new console, but it doesn't make the developers or Sony much more money, so why invest in it when they can put their resources in newer games that have greater profit?

Backwards compatibility may increase the attractiveness of the new console, but it doesn't make the developers or Sony much more money, so why invest in it when they can put their resources in newer games that have greater profit?
Generally speaking, this isn't the issue. The issue is that giving backwards compatibility to the new system would drive up the price and that was a huge problem with the PS3 at launch. Yes, being able to play PSX and PS2 games natively is GREAT... but was it worth your PS3 costing another hundred dollars more? A lot of people said no and that's why they dropped the backwards compatibility in the PS3 after a year or two. That dropped the price and people started buying it more.

It's a similar problem with the PS4. The Cell processor from the PS3 was an expensive, overbloated chip that did stuff a lot of other ones couldn't... and they don't have a working PS3 emulator up and running yet ether. So yeah... the only option at this point would be to stick a Cell processor into the PS4 and then write up an emulator. Sony doesn't want to drive up the price of the system at launch again, hence why they are dropping backwards compatibility for now.

After reading the disgusting Microsoft policies on games, I'm worried the PS3's will be similar. If so, they can both go fuck themselves.

I hope not. They basically got served a "WIN THIS CONSOLE GENERATION" card the last 2 weeks.

Amazon product

Basically the PS4 is #1 selling console and I'm contemplating buying it off Amazon. Since it's region free people who aren't in the USA won't get fucked... and since my provide taxes everything twice.... I'll be saving money!

It's funny, but I seriously question the correctness of the graph. I don't see why South Africa or Portugal wouldn't work, for example. And Greenland's part of Denmark - if it works in one, it should work in the other.

It's funny, but I seriously question the correctness of the graph. I don't see why South Africa or Portugal wouldn't work, for example. And Greenland's part of Denmark - if it works in one, it should work in the other.
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...ntries-you-might-not-get-to-use-the-xbox-one/

On the Xbox’s Product Pre-order Information Page, the company states that the console “Requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region.”
And presumably the supported regions are the countries where it will launch... Which are those 21.

Large pre-launch FAQ released. PlayStation 4: The ultimate FAQ – Europe – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

I still hate the f'n bullshit that you need a Plus subscription for online. Link: PlayStation 4: The ultimate FAQ – Europe – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

Xbox started it, and it was a feature IMO that the PS3 didn't go for that BS, and was free for its online service. Now basic internet functionality, that on the PC has ALWAYS been free, is now only if you are paying do you get to pay online with PS4. Fucking bullshit. I don't care if they have a monthly "promo" fee for more free demos, other crap, but basic "we're not letting you ping multiplayer servers unless you pay up" is beyond bullshit. Not to mention probably not letting you host either.

PC Gaming FTW! You can host your own servers, and connect anywhere you like. WITHOUT fees. Can't wait for SteamOS.

Other bullshit feature downgrades versus the PS3 include:
  • Can't play audio CDs, MP3 CDs, etc. This is bizzare to me. Not much used feature for my PS3, but my wife and I have used it.
  • Can't stream content from PC (can't be a DLNA client). Also bizzare. I have a PC in my living room now, so I wouldn't do it anymore, but I used to, and it was convenient. And considering I'm sure they'll still be renting/selling movies through their service, they're just trying to lock you in to their platform.
  • Lack of support for old games - I understand not being able to emulate PS3, but c'mon, you DO have the power to emulate the PS1/PS2.
  • Lack of support for old hardware - I have 4 controllers. I'm not looking forward to buying 1-3 more for $60 each for essentially the same functionality. Not to mention the headset BS.
Very disappointed after reading this FAQ. Even less likely to buy a next-gen console now.

GasBandit

Staff member
They keep touting how PC-like their new consoles are, while they strip out functionality PC users take for granted as a matter of course. Here's to 8 more years of belonging to the Glorious Beautiful PC Gaming Master Race!

That Playstation dude tweeted that DLNA and MP3 would be features coming up later, same with headset support.

The DS4 is pretty different than older dual shocks. You know that DS2s didn't work with the pS3, like Dukes and Old Xbox controllers didn't work with the 360 and so forth. This is the norm.

Actually Gas, they've been touting that this is a game playing machine first and all that other crap second.

Both these consoles have been rushed to market and it fuckin' shows. Anyone not waiting at least a year to buy one is a lunatic.

Large pre-launch FAQ released. PlayStation 4: The ultimate FAQ – Europe – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

I still hate the f'n bullshit that you need a Plus subscription for online. Link: PlayStation 4: The ultimate FAQ – Europe – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

Xbox started it, and it was a feature IMO that the PS3 didn't go for that BS, and was free for its online service. Now basic internet functionality, that on the PC has ALWAYS been free, is now only if you are paying do you get to pay online with PS4. Fucking bullshit. I don't care if they have a monthly "promo" fee for more free demos, other crap, but basic "we're not letting you ping multiplayer servers unless you pay up" is beyond bullshit. Not to mention probably not letting you host either.

PC Gaming FTW! You can host your own servers, and connect anywhere you like. WITHOUT fees. Can't wait for SteamOS.

Other bullshit feature downgrades versus the PS3 include:
  • Can't play audio CDs, MP3 CDs, etc. This is bizzare to me. Not much used feature for my PS3, but my wife and I have used it.
  • Can't stream content from PC (can't be a DLNA client). Also bizzare. I have a PC in my living room now, so I wouldn't do it anymore, but I used to, and it was convenient. And considering I'm sure they'll still be renting/selling movies through their service, they're just trying to lock you in to their platform.
  • Lack of support for old games - I understand not being able to emulate PS3, but c'mon, you DO have the power to emulate the PS1/PS2.
  • Lack of support for old hardware - I have 4 controllers. I'm not looking forward to buying 1-3 more for $60 each for essentially the same functionality. Not to mention the headset BS.
Very disappointed after reading this FAQ. Even less likely to buy a next-gen console now.
This is the post of the day.

Everyone, pay your homage to this poster today and click the treat buttons on the bottom right.

Started shipping the consoles out last night. Our building got around 5K units, & we're a smallish size facility these days. Comparably it seems we've only gotten around 500 XBones, so those must be shipping from other facilities.

Still going to wait till next X-Mas. Told my wife to SPECIFICALLY not surprise me with a PS4 this X-Mas.

GasBandit

Staff member
Whuh oh! Whuh OH! WHUH OH!

Reviewers Are Saying While PlayStation 4's Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p it Also Drops in Framerate and Xbox One Doesn't.

All hail the glorious PC Gaming Master Race for another 4-8 years.

There's also day one patches to address things according to IW, but they've been so full of shit so far that it's hard to believe a word they say. This Call of Duty is ass terrible either way.

Interestingly enough, last night when the last load left the building that had packages that would be delivered Friday, we still had around 500 consoles in the building.

So... not sure what to make of that.