PS4, Roku, Slingbox, or ???

Necronic

Staff member
When I upgraded to my latest computer I decided to turn my old PC into a media server that I would run my TV off of. I was right about to do this when I realized (much to my chagrin) that the video outs on the PC were DVI. This means I can't hook it directly up to the TV through HDMI (as they don't carry an audio signal).

So I'm thinking of getting a media portal device like those listed in the title, but I am not sure which one to go with. The PC will still be a media server hooked up to the router, but the media portal will be what accesses it. Mainly though it will just be used for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, but there will be some movies on the PC, plus I want to be able to browse to youtube/etc.

Which of these do you guys think will work well for this?

Also, any thoughts on how to still use the PC as a media center with the DVI outs?

Roku has a few (free) channels (AKA apps) that let you stream from your PC but I don't know how well they all work. Some of them seem to have a pretty complicated set-up. I've tried out Plex, which seems relatively robust. Netflix and Hulu (paid only) and Amazon Prime all work well on the Roku.

Slingbox is more about media streaming from the TV to the PC and not the other way around (at least, that is how my brother mainly used his). It was perfect for streaming to his phone or tablet, even while traveling. You might not find it is giving you the access to PC media that you want.

The PS4 I can't say much on. My XBox 360 has all the channels that my Roku has available but I find getting to them less immediate and navigating them less friendly. They are a nice back-up if the Roku is on the fritz, which is rare.

*edit* I know the 360 has some Media Streaming capabilities as Windows plays pretty nicely with the Xbox. I use a Mac, so I don't use that functionality but I have seen it in action and it is pretty slick.

I used a DVI to HDMI cable and then connected up the audio-out to the TV. That'll all depend on what your TV can use.

There is also this converter box: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=8124 DVI + Audio to HDMI® converter - never used it before, but it has possibilities.

*edit* My personal setup is a network-attached 3TB HD that has all my files that I map on my two HTPCs (one in living room and one in my master bedroom) to watch videos via XBMC.

GasBandit

Staff member
When I upgraded to my latest computer I decided to turn my old PC into a media server that I would run my TV off of. I was right about to do this when I realized (much to my chagrin) that the video outs on the PC were DVI. This means I can't hook it directly up to the TV through HDMI (as they don't carry an audio signal).

So I'm thinking of getting a media portal device like those listed in the title, but I am not sure which one to go with. The PC will still be a media server hooked up to the router, but the media portal will be what accesses it. Mainly though it will just be used for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, but there will be some movies on the PC, plus I want to be able to browse to youtube/etc.

Also, any thoughts on how to still use the PC as a media center with the DVI outs?
You can get a DVI to HDMI cable for less than 5 bucks, but as you said, this doesn't carry audio signal. Do you use external amp/speakers for audio on this TV? You could just pipe the audio directly to the receiver on a separate aux jack.

That aside, I myself do use a WD TV Live media player ($100) on my TV, and by and large am rather satisfied with it. It has HDMI out, supports both 720 and 1080p, supports both RJ45 and wireless N for networking, and has played 90% of the files I've thrown at it - the 10% being either extremely old (talking late 90s) AVIs, MPEGs and MOVs back from before things like DivX and XVid came along to standardize the codecs for the most part, and also it has trouble with some MKVS with multiple audio streams (IE, my downloads of Haruhi Suzumiya in MKV with both Japanese and English audio). But I've never had it refuse to play an AVI that was H.264 or anything like that. In addition to being able to play files off network shares, it also has a USB jack that can handle an external hard drive. It also has built-in apps for things like Hulu plus, netflix, youtube, etc. I will say that the youtube app is pretty clunky, but it works. Also it identifies to youtube as a TV device, and not a PC, which sometimes trips up DRM.

So, when all's said and done, it's not a PC, but for 100 bucks, in my book it was (and is) close enough.

I used to run the DVI to HDMI and then the optical digital through my surround sound system. Graphics cards are starting to have straight up HDMI outputs nowadays, so I'd maybe look at that. It's two-fer. better graphics card and full HDMI support.

Or heck, you could even go ultracheap and get this bad boy for $35, so long as you NEVER EVER TRY TO GAME WITH IT EVER.
FWIW, this would probably be the lowest model I would suggest. The 5670 was one of the best ever for this use, but everyone knew it and that's why they're so hard to find.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
The PS4 won't be able to do media streaming from a PC at launch, from what I've heard, and it won't have support for USB drives, either (and maybe not ever for that.)

For a cheap solution, the Google Chromecast looks intriguing, though I've never used it, and the few reviews I've read say it's kind of a beta product. $35 is pretty damn cheap for what it can do, though. Maybe someone else has done more research than I have (it's not something I need, since I don't have a TV.)

For a cheap solution, the Google Chromecast looks intriguing, though I've never used it, and the few reviews I've read say it's kind of a beta product. $35 is pretty damn cheap for what it can do, though. Maybe someone else has done more research than I have (it's not something I need, since I don't have a TV.)

I think it would depend on how old the PC is. From what I understand, you need a fairly beefy processor to handle the encoding for the stream.

For the same price of that chrome doohickey that requires you to use google chrome, and who wants that, you could get this video card with full HDMI out. It's not good gaming card, but that's not what you're using it for anyway.

GasBandit

Staff member
Asus just announced a chromecast competitor called the Asus Miracast Dongle (which is about as generic a name as you can get, it's like naming a phone "Samsung CDMA Phone"). Depending on the price point, it might be a good alternative option.

Personally we just Chromecast Netflix to our TV from our Phones. Zero issues.

What I wish it did, was allow streaming of any video from a wifi computer to the TV. Apparently you used to be able to but can't anymore. Hopefully someone will find a work-around.