Proper Grammar in a Research Paper

I'm writing a blurb about how a smartphone app is being used in therapy. Is "app" acceptable or should I write it out as "application"? I feel like app should be okay since it is the common terminology, but I know that isn't always the case.
This is an APA style paper if that makes a difference.

Yes, I have the handbook. I don't feel like digging around for it since it is lost in my desk somewhere. Also, the answer I found online was vague.

Would it be acceptable to use the full word "application" the first time with a parenthetical comment that future instances of the word "app" mean "application"?

Yup, it's as klew has said. First write whatever the sentence is with "application (app)" and in future instances you can just say app.

I've never formally studied style, but if that sort of language is good enough for contract law (EULAs, licensing agreements), then it should be good enough for formal papers, right?

--Patrick

You'd think so, but each form of stylistics has different rules. The way contract law is written is not how scientific papers get written which is different from history research, etc.