Phone's WiFi stops working

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm having trouble with the WiFi on my smartphone, and I don't know how to troubleshoot. After it's been connected for a while, 5 - 15 minutes or so, the connection says it's still there, but it just stop sending or receiving anything in a timely fashion. It just sits there trying to sync, and it sucks battery life and gets hot, but nothing actually happens.
  • Disconnecting and reconnecting fixes it for a little bit
  • Changing to another network fixes it for a little bit
  • I haven't been able to test on a non-Comcast router
  • Downloaded an antivirus (Lookout) and it didn't find anything
  • My laptop isn't having any problem
  • It just started yesterday
  • Texts and other cellular data work just fine when the WiFi is stuck
Any advice on how to troubleshoot this? Right now I'm thinking I'm just going to backup my data, wipe the phone and reinstall everything, see if that fixes anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
Text and cell data go on a different transmitter than the wifi. Could be the wifi hardware itself is busted.

figmentPez

Staff member
Text and cell data go on a different transmitter than the wifi. Could be the wifi hardware itself is busted.
That thought had occurred to me, but is there any way to test that? WiFi Analyzer still runs and shows all the various network around, even when data isn't getting through. That suggests to me that the problem is software, somewhere.

If you are using it on your home network, I would try and determine the IP address of your phone, and then see whether or not you can reach it from any of the other devices on your network.
Also, you might check to see if you are having any Bluetooth issues. Phones often use a single chip to do both jobs, so if your BT keeps flaking on you, then it's probably the chip. Alternatively, turn your Bluetooth off and see if your Wifi magically recovers.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
What phone is it?
Have you installed any new apps or app updates recently?
Have you recently started using an app you previously loaded but rarely or never used?
Do you know the muffin man?
HTC Vivid
There's always app updates. It'd be a nightmare to try to narrow down with no idea besides "maybe some app"
Haven't started using any old apps.

If you are using it on your home network, I would try and determine the IP address of your phone, and then see whether or not you can reach it from any of the other devices on your network.
Also, you might check to see if you are having any Bluetooth issues. Phones often use a single chip to do both jobs, so if your BT keeps flaking on you, then it's probably the chip. Alternatively, turn your Bluetooth off and see if your Wifi magically recovers.
Would my phone respond to anything trying to get to it's IP? I wouldn't think I could just ping it.

Bluetooth is off, since I don't use anything with it. Not sure if I still have a BT headset to try with it.

Would my phone respond to anything trying to get to it's [sic] IP? I wouldn't think I could just ping it.
It might, it might not. So a response would confirm it is still present, but no response could not definitively prove that it isn't.
Also, you should be able to somehow "ask" your router for a list of currently connected devices. You might even be able to read some sort of log out of it that shows when they are connected/disconnected.

I have so many things I want to try. Networks are so entertaining*.

--Patrick
*frustrating.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wow, it does respond to pings, but not when it's wireless connection in an unresponsive state.

It does show up on the list of connected devices, though, even then.

figmentPez

Staff member
Bluetooth tested. It works just fine. It can both send and receive files, even when the WiFi can't transfer anything, and doesn't respond to pings.

figmentPez

Staff member
I downloaded a traffic monitoring app, and WiFi isn't sending or receiving large amounts of data when this happens. At least, my phone doesn't think so. I'm not sure my router can monitor that (it's just the one built into my cable modem).

figmentPez

Staff member
Have you checked the firmware at all?
I don't think I have any control over my router's firmware, and as far as I know my phone is up to date.

I had the chance to do some testing over at my parent's house. They have the odd situation of having two wireless routers, because when they upgraded their cable modem, they just kept their old linksys, even though they didn't technically need it anymore. Connecting to the linksys worked fine, and showed no signs of having my phone's connection lock-up. However, connecting to their Comcast router had a similar (though not exactly the same) lock-up occur. I didn't have forever to test, but it's looking very much like the router is at fault.

I suspect what changed is Comcast's recent "xfinitywifi" program, where they use their rented modem/routers as semi-public hotspots by splitting off a second network using the same antenna. Uses the same frequency and everything. This has not always been the case, I know for a fact that there was not an xfinitywifi coming out of my system as little as a few months ago. I'm guessing it started just a few days ago, when my troubles started. So, I think I have to call into customer service and tell them to disable it. You're supposed to be able to do that from the xfinity website, but I just get an error message when I try to get to that part of the account controls.

EDIT: tried getting into that control panel again, and it worked this time. Disabled the xfinitywifi from the website, and it actually shut it off on my router right away. Now to see if it fixes my phone's connection.

figmentPez

Staff member
And that appears to have fixed it. My phone has been connected to my network about an hour now without any problems.

Stupid Comcast.

figmentPez

Staff member
Whoops, spoke too soon. It's not failing as spectacularly, and doesn't seem to be sucking down battery like it was, but the connection still stalls.

figmentPez

Staff member
Have you tried your phone with any other wifi connection than your own?
Yes, tried it at my parent's house. I'm not 100% sure their Linksys router worked fine. I know their Comcast modem/router had similar issues.

Does your phone feel inordinately warm when it fails?
It was before, when the xfinitywifi was enabled. Now it's not, or at least it hasn't gotten that hot since I disabled it.

GasBandit

Staff member
It was before, when the xfinitywifi was enabled. Now it's not, or at least it hasn't gotten that hot since I disabled it.
I noticed my old Droid 1 heats up a whole lot if I leave it on wifi for extended periods (12+ hours). Sometimes it even causes it to reboot/lock up. I wonder if you've got something similar going on.