Pet Peeve rants.

This thread is to get out all your pet peeve rants as they come along.

I hate it when people use the words 'yummy' and 'belly', especially together in a sentence. "That sushi was really yummy." "That Mexican food found a home in my belly". "I'm so full from yummy burgers in my belly."

Grow the fuck up! You're not five years old!

Hehe. I'll throw in a pet peeve: Students who are not organized enough to come to class and then beg me for mercy when they realize they are deep in the hole.

Are you 28 years old and refer to the man you have been seeing as "The Boy", I hate you. First, he has name, just use it. Second, we have the term boyfriend. "The Boy" is just so damn obnoxious. Bah.

I just don't like the terms boyfriend or girlfriend when the person is out of college.

I am 42 years old and still get called boyfriend, and she was 33 getting called girlfriend... yeesh.

People who flick cigarette butts out of their car windows while driving! I should be able to beat you with a pipe wrench during forest fire season!

I hate it when people use the term "literally" incorrectly. For example, when someone sees a movie trailer and says something like "haha, this literally looks like the biggest piece of shit ever." It obviously didn't look like a large pile of fecal matter, so the person ends up looking like a twit.

No, I meant it. Thor literally does like like a turd.

Turd. Thor. Same thing.

Oh and passive aggressiveness is a big factor on things making my pet peeve list.

M

makare

Hmm I've never really associated "belly" with kids. I always think of beer belly or pregnant belly.

I hate it when people say " I have a deep seeded...." instead of "a deep seated" whatever they have. It is deep seated. Like it is seated deep in your chest.

M

makare

Construction and construction workers.
This isn't a general pet peeve of mine but I had to go down to Sioux City today and wtf?! How long is that construction going to go on? It is so ridiculously annoying.

When a kid has been in the league a week and the ESPN morons are already measuring him for his hall of fame jacket by putting up ridiculous comparisons to true legends of the game. Why not just cut the crap and blow him already, huh?

People who type to me online like "hey how r u?" instead of "How are you?"

This can seriously be a relationship breaker for me.

I just don't like the terms boyfriend or girlfriend when the person is out of college.

I am 42 years old and still get called boyfriend, and she was 33 getting called girlfriend... yeesh.
What the hell do they call each other? Or are you in one of those "baby's daddy" "baby's momma" areas?

Why can't people pick up after them selves?! Where I go I'm picking up after someone!

It's not like I'm a neat freak either. My parents give me shit all the time about the house not being tidy....but god damn some people are just gross and inconsiderate.

He does tidy up after himself...the dumps it all on the floor again to repeat the cycle.

His father, however, does not having come from a home where 'the women folk' do this kind of thing. He's better then when we first started living together but it is a slow, painful process.

I also can't do anytinng about the rest of the world. You know, the folks that don't flush the toilet...or leave their fast food crap over the table...or don't puut things back where they belong in the shop.

Yeah, I know. I'm hoping that a majority of the people who do it are either suffering from mental disabilities or English is not only not their native language but what they do write they learned through means other than formal teaching.

M

makare

I still say that is usually a typo. When people slow down they know the difference. Same with most homophones.

North_Ranger

Staff member
When I fuck up with something relatively simple, like the gender-specific personal pronouns of English. There's no "he/she" distinction in Finnish so I sometimes goof that up - usually with hilarious and disturbing results.

Taking non-actions for a cause but still complaining about it. I'm sorry but if your solution to a crisis is prayer or starting a facebook group or trying to get a petition signed on a campus then you're not really doing anything about it. Raising awareness is up there too. The truth is you don't give a shit about it same as me. The only real difference is that you want people to think you do.

Referring to your new born baby as "my man". It's creepy.

People who blame your ability to comprehend when the real problem is their ability to communicate whatever idea they're trying to get across.

Pet peeve: when people use words of comparison without completing the comparison. "The ___ is greater."

Than what? This is a huge problem on college exams, I have found.

M

makare

When I fuck up with something relatively simple, like the gender-specific personal pronouns of English. There's no "he/she" distinction in Finnish so I sometimes goof that up - usually with hilarious and disturbing results.
That's interesting.