Pet Peeve rants.

People who try to sell me car cleaner stuff while I'm trying to pump gas and insist on demoing it no matter how many times I say I'm not interested.

GasBandit

Staff member
People who try to sell me car cleaner stuff while I'm trying to pump gas and insist on demoing it no matter how many times I say I'm not interested.
Much as I hate to break out the "can I speak to a manager" thing... maybe tell the manager of the gas station that unless they do something about the soliciters on the premesis harassing you that you'll have to get your gas somewhere else.

I mean, I didn't have to go that route because I can "turn off the charm" and drive away people with snarling and grimacing, but I considered following up doing it when some lady tried to sell me on winshield repair goop one day when I was filling up at kroger.

Much as I hate to break out the "can I speak to a manager" thing... maybe tell the manager of the gas station that unless they do something about the soliciters on the premesis harassing you that you'll have to get your gas somewhere else.

I mean, I didn't have to go that route because I can "turn off the charm" and drive away people with snarling and grimacing, but I considered following up doing it when some lady tried to sell me on winshield repair goop one day when I was filling up at kroger.
Usually when I get gas it's when I'm already on my way somewhere else and don't have time for that shit. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I can hardly believe there are still people in this day and age that still use "lol" as a punctuation mark.

hey hows it going lol

what lol

why did you say that lol

Cajungal

Staff member
You know, I get that a lot of people make their social media all about politics, and that can get grating. But what's more offensive to me is the goddamn sanctimonious vaguebooking that I see. What's weird is that the trend I see (just from my friends, not overall) is that it's mostly people my parents' age or older. It's like they're having a second adolescence. Who the fuck are you pissed at, and why won't you just unfriend them?

One of my friends posted something like that on her LINKEDIN. "________ has taken a job at a new place of learning that actually respects her talents."

I mean.

figmentPez

Staff member
I hate it when people think hot chocolate and hot cocoa are the same thing; or when they think that making up a packet of hot cocoa with milk instead of water makes it into hot chocolate. NO. To be hot chocolate, the mix must actually contain chocolate, complete with cocoa butter. If it only has cocoa powder, no matter how much milkfat you add, it's just hot cocoa.

Dave

Staff member
If it's brown, hot, & chocolaty I don't give a shit what you call it. I just want to drink it.

I hate when people send me an email asking me to do something and then call me to tell me they sent me an email.

I hate when people send me an email asking me to do something and then call me to tell me they sent me an email.
I had a boss that would hit send, and walk to my desk. Just to ask if I received the email. At a time when my email client checked for email once every 15 minutes. So, "Nope."

I hate it when someone asks me to do something, and I am literally doing that exact fucking thing, and they ask me again to do what I am literally in the middle of doing.

I hate it when someone asks me to do something, and I am literally doing that exact fucking thing, and they ask me again to do what I am literally in the middle of doing.
This is probably my single biggest pet peeve, even going all the way back to single-digit ages.

--Patrick

This is probably my single biggest pet peeve, even going all the way back to single-digit ages.

--Patrick
i was shoveling at work and my 1st asst GM is yelling at me over the radio about when the hell is it gonna get done, so i yelled "im out here right now doing it!" then waved at him through the window.

I seem to like unpopular flavors at those mix your own flavor Soda machines. It seems each time I use one the flavor I choose is rancid, not vanilla.

fade

Staff member
What is with the growing negative attitude toward comforting responses? It’s even rife in fiction. Every time a character is having a hard time, they often snap something like, “Oh let me guess. You were going to say I know what you’re going through.” What’s the reasoning behind this reaction? I guess good job guessing the way normal conversations flow? You could do this for any number of conversations, yet grief and comfort seem to be the ones where it seems like it’s okay to angrily point out that you knew what the person was going to say. So what? Cliches are cliches partly because they’re true, and they do offer some measure of comfort to some people. It’s like someone says “Good morning”, and then follows up immediately with an angry “Let me guess. You were going to say ‘Good morning’ back?”

What is with the growing negative attitude toward comforting responses? It’s even rife in fiction. Every time a character is having a hard time, they often snap something like, “Oh let me guess. You were going to say I know what you’re going through.” What’s the reasoning behind this reaction? I guess good job guessing the way normal conversations flow? You could do this for any number of conversations, yet grief and comfort seem to be the ones where it seems like it’s okay to angrily point out that you knew what the person was going to say. So what? Cliches are cliches partly because they’re true, and they do offer some measure of comfort to some people. It’s like someone says “Good morning”, and then follows up immediately with an angry “Let me guess. You were going to say ‘Good morning’ back?”
I feel like this plays into a growing disgust with empty platitudes. it is a backlash against social responses for the sake of not looking uncaring. kind of a "you are only saying this because you dont want to look like you dont care, but really you dont care, so just dont say anything."

fade

Staff member
I think that's shoveling a heapload of interpretation onto what another person is saying, though.

What Bomes said, plus the current fascination with the “glorification of anger” you see played out in movies, politics, etc. where it is intimated that the angrier you are, the more just your cause must be, since you wouldn’t be so angry about something that was fake.
I think that's shoveling a heapload of interpretation onto what another person is saying, though.
I agree that this might be true on an individual basis, but it is exactly what I see in daily life: someone getting angry at something they don’t like/don’t want to hear/don’t want to deal with, and so they lash out at the platitude people with, “You don’t understand! You don’t really care about my problems! I hate all of you!” and all that.

—Patrick

Last edited: