Pet Peeve rants.

So somebody started translating the Servant x Service drama CD to English... and abandoned the project halfway through three years ago. Still abandoned today Last blog post from the guy in April of this year .>.<

fade

Staff member
"AF". Bugs the crap out of me. Especially since if you expand it, half the time the sentence doesn't make grammatical sense.

I am really not impressed with Amazon putting ads in the beginnings of their programming. I'm paying them $100 a year for Prime, which is far less about their 2 day free shipping these days since they suck at that more often than not.

GasBandit

Staff member
The hollow cynicism of advertising that uses christmas carols with egregiously commercialized lyrics.

I mean, I'm not religious by any stretch of the word.

But the attached boot barn commercial made my bile rise. They couldn't even get the meter right to the lyrics. Revolting. Makes me wish I wore wrangler jeans so I could stop.

Attachments

The hollow cynicism of advertising that uses christmas carols with egregiously commercialized lyrics.

But the attached boot barn commercial made my bile rise. They couldn't even get the meter right to the lyrics. Revolting. Makes me wish I wore wrangler jeans so I could stop.
That belongs in the Rant thread.

I am genuinely disappointed a place called the Boot Barn didn't use "The Christmas Shoes" instead. I mean, at least that drek can't sink any lower.

figmentPez

Staff member
Normally dumb "recipes" like "layer a bunch of Klondike bars, cool whip, and hot fudge for an ice cream lasagna" don't quite make it into pet peeve territory for me, but one I saw today did.

They used Lindor truffles to make a "truffle fudge" to put between layers of a cake.... They melted down truffles and then added sweetened condensed milk and whipped it up. That's a really stupid and expensive way to make ganache. I'm pretty sure you could make whipped chocolate ganache out of Scharffen Berger chocolate and organic heavy cream for the same price, and it certainly wouldn't take that much expense for a better taste.

Normally dumb "recipes" like "layer a bunch of Klondike bars, cool whip, and hot fudge for an ice cream lasagna" don't quite make it into pet peeve territory for me, but one I saw today did.

They used Lindor truffles to make a "truffle fudge" to put between layers of a cake.... They melted down truffles and then added sweetened condensed milk and whipped it up. That's a really stupid and expensive way to make ganache. I'm pretty sure you could make whipped chocolate ganache out of Scharffen Berger chocolate and organic heavy cream for the same price, and it certainly wouldn't take that much expense for a better taste.
I agree with you, but this is the time of year when it's not unusual to get a big bag of those as a gift and wonder what the hell to do with them. I could see this as a better solution if it's a flavor you don't like or you just can't eat them all/dump them on someone else. Otherwise, yeah, that's a waste.

figmentPez

Staff member
I agree with you, but this is the time of year when it's not unusual to get a big bag of those as a gift and wonder what the hell to do with them. I could see this as a better solution if it's a flavor you don't like or you just can't eat them all/dump them on someone else. Otherwise, yeah, that's a waste.
That is a good point. Though, it was in the context of making a cake with the truffle fudge between layers, frosted with "brownie batter frosting", and decorated with Tootsie Roll roses, so it didn't really come across as a way to use truffles in a new way.

I fucking hate Tumblr sometimes. Especially the fandoms. Maybe I should know better than to search for anything there, but something like "the whole world is watching" deserves bette than getting reduced to song lyric posts and Glee gifsets.

figmentPez

Staff member
YouTube series that have numbers up until the Final part. 1, 2, Final. Is there a 3? Maybe. Maybe there are parts 3 through 27 and the Final video is part 28; or maybe it's just part 3. The video doesn't say!

Searches you can't invert.
I'm looking around for a new job, on several job sites. And all of them allow to search for specific education requirements. Some allow "X and up" and "X and down", others don't, but, ok.
All of them offer the option to look specifically only for jobs requiring a specific degree (doctor, engineer,...). Very handy for doctors and engineers, I'm sure, but nobody's looking for a philosopher/cultural manager with a background in security. I want to search for jobs for people with a Masters, but not the specific ones. But that's not an option on any of those sites. I mean, I'm not the only one who has a fairly generic Master, and we're all looking for something of the right "level". It'd make sense to allow that search, but nooooo. Which mean ssifting through 2.000 jobs which sound good, but oh, you have to be an electric engineer. Or a nurse. Or whatever. >Blegh.