Pet Peeve rants.

Beer commercials where the slice off the foam head. Just poor it fucking slowly you dumb asses, you waste beer that way!
A properly poured lager beer has a solid foam head in the glass, with fine bubbles, that can last a long time. Over the edge of the glass, the end of the swirl, with bigger, airier bubbles that'll quickly degrade and take the rest of the foam with it if left unchecked. Capping the foam at the proper point ensures a longer-lasting, better-tasting head and decreases the hang-over (which is, besides dehydration, also partly caused by the inert gasses used to seal the beer in the bottle).
If it's an actual amount of beer, it's wasteful, but your beer was badly poured. If your foam head doesn't reach the edge of the glass, either your glass wasn't properly cleaned, or your poured badly.
Also true for lager beers from a barrel; not entirely true for top-fermenting beer, where it depends on the type and shape of the glass and the headiness of the beer as well.

OTOH: Pet Peeve: people who pour a beer from the tap, then "fill" the glass up further with little jets/bursts of extra beer 'till it "looks" good. That's the absolute worst thing you can do to a (good) beer. You'll taste the pipes more than the beer. Also, people who stick the tap in the beer. It isn't necessary, and it's unsanitary. If you can't pour a beer with the tap outside the glass, consider fiddling with the pressure on your tap, it's off.

I forget how many years it's been. My last beer was on a New Years Eve I think though. I skipped my meds for it.

Shortly after that I went on my patches, so there was none at all after that. There are people in my online support groups that think that they can still give it a try even after being warned about how dangerous it is....most of them end up in the ER.

When I was on morphine for my pain, I forgot about the 'no alcohol' rule and had some really really tasty margaritas with supper one time on vacation. I thought I had gotten food poisoning, or just that they had been super strong or something. Ug. It was rather unpleasant.

There's "don't mix with alcohol" warnings on a lot of medication (most pain killers, most antibiotics,...). In most cases it's more or less just because the medication is already taxing your liver and adding alcohol will just do so even further. Ignoring those warnings pretty much just gives you either a faster buzz or a worse hangover. People then don't realize that, with some medication, there are worse effects from mixing.

There's "don't mix with alcohol" warnings on a lot of medication (most pain killers, most antibiotics,...). In most cases it's more or less just because the medication is already taxing your liver and adding alcohol will just do so even further. Ignoring those warnings pretty much just gives you either a faster buzz or a worse hangover. People then don't realize that, with some medication, there are worse effects from mixing.
This happened to a friend's fiance. It was 10+ years ago, so I can't remember what he was on, but he forgot, had a couple of beers, and did not wake up the next morning. :(

This happened to a friend's fiance. It was 10+ years ago, so I can't remember what he was on, but he forgot, had a couple of beers, and did not wake up the next morning. :(
That's awful. And so scary. I'm so sorry.

I think maybe the people in the online group I'm in are used to seeing the warnings on Tylenol/Advil etc and not really paying much attention to them and then think that they can ignore them as well when they start getting prescribed real pain meds? Even my sister still drinks on her prescriptions and it can't be good for her. She's not on pain meds though. My patches are many times stronger than morphine so when they told me not to, I just stopped. I miss it though. Nachos need beer!

Vocal fry and up-speak. Ugh. I work with a group that does both. I've also been to panel discussions with "professionals" and they were speaking in up-speak.

Vocal fry and up-speak. Ugh. I work with a group that does both. I've also been to panel discussions with "professionals" and they were speaking in up-speak.
There's a teacher here who does that. She's won awards, done great things with her class... and she sounds like a dumbass sometimes when she talks. It baffles me.

GasBandit

Staff member
@Bubble181 Vocal fry is when people "croak" their voice to make it sound deeper. It's also known as the "Kardashian Croak" because they do it so much.

Up-speak is when they end every sentence with an upward inflection? Like it's a question? It's really annoying?

Shopping for shoes. It seems that most places that I shop for shoes only get one shipment of shoes a season. So if you miss the first week of shoes' arrival, you will not get to buy a pair of shoes. I don't know how you stay in business driving away customers.

Twice in the last month two famous singers were crushed on stage by falling equipment.

They are just fine...

I don't think the editors know what crush means.

Twice in the last month two famous singers were crushed on stage by falling equipment.

They are just fine...

I don't think the editors know what crush means.
Sure they do. They know damn well that "crush" means a whole hell of a lot more pageviews than "knocked down."

GasBandit

Staff member
Every day I read something about somebody going somewhere and something bad happening. "I went to Dubai and got arrested!" "I went to Turkey and they wouldn't let me come back!" "I went to NORTH KOREA and now I'm being held as a spy!"

WELL NO FUCKING SHIT.

The last 5 years have been a non-stop bombardment of how fucked up these places are getting and what happens to jackass western tourists who go there and act like jackass western tourists! Then throw in the fact that god knows what Trump is going to do while you're out of the country that might also prevent you from coming back... I don't see how any of these nitwits expected NOT to have Murphy's Law punish them severely for their complete and utter obliviousness.

The average American has never had more reason to STAY THE FUCK HOME. Or, hey, we have our own fucking touristy places to go, too. Or if you absolutely HAVE to go abroad, might I suggest western Europe, or anywhere that is NOT a theocracy/dictatorship/nation in turmoil?

At some point it just starts being a crime against evolution to protect people from the consequences of their own idiocy.

Every day I read something about somebody going somewhere and something bad happening. "I went to Dubai and got arrested!" "I went to Turkey and they wouldn't let me come back!" "I went to NORTH KOREA and now I'm being held as a spy!"

WELL NO FUCKING SHIT.

The last 5 years have been a non-stop bombardment of how fucked up these places are getting and what happens to jackass western tourists who go there and act like jackass western tourists! Then throw in the fact that god knows what Trump is going to do while you're out of the country that might also prevent you from coming back... I don't see how any of these nitwits expected NOT to have Murphy's Law punish them severely for their complete and utter obliviousness.

The average American has never had more reason to STAY THE FUCK HOME. Or, hey, we have our own fucking touristy places to go, too. Or if you absolutely HAVE to go abroad, might I suggest western Europe, or anywhere that is NOT a theocracy/dictatorship/nation in turmoil?

At some point it just starts being a crime against evolution to protect people from the consequences of their own idiocy.
It was bad enough during the Bush II years. I always begged by friend from the State Department to travel as a Russian while on vacation then.