Pet Peeve rants.

...it is on the tip of my tongue, or are you just saying that statement sounds like something ol' Johnny Macklin would say? If the latter I get.

My pet peeve right now is random temperature shifts. It's warm enough during the day to melt snow and ice all over the roads and on sidewalks, etc, and cold enough at night to turn the whole world into a polished skating surface.

My neighbors probably didn't appreciate me throwing my garbage can across the road and growling loudly in pained rage after wiping out on the road on my bad knee when I was taking out the trash at 2:30 am.

Well, then it fails to meet the prima facie conditions of the rant?
That's why I left out the second part. I get hassled a lot because I haven't seen That Thing Everyone Else Has, to the point where some accuse me of deliberately playing dumb. Nope.

--Patrick

That's why I left out the second part. I get hassled a lot because I haven't seen That Thing Everyone Else Has, to the point where some accuse me of deliberately playing dumb. Nope.
I tried watching Parks and Rec. Made through about 5 minutes of the first episode before the awkward was too much. Never went back.

Haven't even turned on the TV at home since the Liberty Bowl.

no.png

I know it's not the political thread. I'm not even trying to call attention to ISIS. I just absolutely hate it when one person/sect/group/company/whatever tries to solidify its purported superiority by removing/destroying/oubliette-ing as much evidence of the other guy/sect/group/company/whatever as possible. It's the 1000x bigger brother of that kid that talks over another kid just because he's trying to shut that other kid down and make sure nobody ever hears what he has to say. Its uncomfortably high rate of success just irks me even more.

--Patrick

I hate when I'm waiting in line in the bank and someone says "It's your turn" to everybody the second a teller becomes available.

There are things that even a lord of discord like myself can't abide by. It almost makes me want to make my own printer with my own hands, sure it'd take forever to make, and sure it might cost more than a new printer, but it'd beat being Epson's bitch any day of the week!

I just absolutely hate it when one person/sect/group/company/whatever tries to solidify its purported superiority by removing/destroying/oubliette-ing as much evidence of the other guy/sect/group/company/whatever as possible.
It continues.
I couldn't even finish the video. It made me so damn mad.
It's like watching a bunch of droogs come tearing through Antiques Roadshow for a spot of ol' ultra-violence.

--Patrick

I'm always reminded strongly of the Beeldenstorm (iconoclastic Fury). It is barbarism, and one of the ways in which some interpretations of Islam truly are 500 years behind the modern mindset. Though there are most certainly still idiots out there who'd do the same in the name of the Christian God, they don't have the power to do so.

This is a really minor one, but I find it really annoying when you're doing something that someone else asked you to do, and you're in the middle of doing it, and they tell you what they want done again.

Like, since my dad's disabled, I do the grocery shopping for him and mom. He tells me, "Just put it on the table, I'll put it away from there." Okay, fine. So I gather up the bags and start bringing them in. I'm about halfway to the table, and he says, "You can just put them on the table." I KNOW. YOU JUST TOLD ME THAT. I'M JUST NOT ACTUALLY TO THE TABLE YET.

It happens all the time and it's just really bugging me. "Yes, I heard you, I'm doing the exact fucking thing you just asked me to do, so you don't need to tell me again while I'm fucking doing it!"

People
This is a really minor one, but I find it really annoying when you're doing something that someone else asked you to do, and you're in the middle of doing it, and they tell you what they want done again.
I feel ya. People are always telling me to do the thing I'm literally on my way to do, or else that thing I just started doing. It's bruxtastic.

--Patrick

My dad has this thing where he asks my brother or I to do something, and we do it, but then he'll come and do it again because we didn't do it right. Drives me nuts.

My dad has this thing where he asks my brother or I to do something, and we do it, but then he'll come and do it again because we didn't do it right. Drives me nuts.
My wife has the thing where she'll ask me to do something and not give a deadline, and I'll tell her I'll get to it, and an hour later she's gone and done it already.
1) She didn't tell me she wanted it done within an hour's time.
2) If she was so busy/disgusted/whatever that she decided to delegate the task to me, why'd she go ahead and do it anyway?

--Patrick

My wife has the thing where she'll ask me to do something and not give a deadline, and I'll tell her I'll get to it, and an hour later she's gone and done it already.
1) She didn't tell me she wanted it done within an hour's time.
2) If she was so busy/disgusted/whatever that she decided to delegate the task to me, why'd she go ahead and do it anyway?

--Patrick
This absolutely drives me up the wall.

"Gamify your business" ads/seminars that keep popping up in my email.

Fuck all of those people.

Both of the ones who don't actually know what gamification is (90% of them) and the ones who do in fact know and see it as a way to satisfy customers/employees without giving them anything.

Youtube videos that put their "subscribe now" link at the exact spot and timing of the close icon when a commercial comes up. I'll either end up accidentally subscribing for 1 second, or peck around for a few seconds to properly close it - in both cases, I've just missed 5 seconds of your video. If I was going to subscribe or like, you just lost me as it's a crappy way of trying to sneak it past someone which I dislike. Seriously. Add a subscribe link anywhere else, and if I'm interested, I might. Not like that, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
There are a number of decent webcomics that I won't read because they're on Tapastic. Tapastic's interface design is horrendous, cluttered, unintuitive, and stupid. Seriously, even blogspot would be a better medium to host your comics than Tapastic. It barely supports RSS feed updates, though the clickthru doesn't always take you to the comic the RSS update is about. It's shiiiiiiiiiiiit.

figmentPez

Staff member
There are a number of decent webcomics that I won't read because they're on Tapastic. Tapastic's interface design is horrendous, cluttered, unintuitive, and stupid. Seriously, even blogspot would be a better medium to host your comics than Tapastic. It barely supports RSS feed updates, though the clickthru doesn't always take you to the comic the RSS update is about. It's shiiiiiiiiiiiit.
There have been a lot of webcomics I couldn't get into because their website/UI is so terrible. Ava's Demon being the most recent. Beautiful art, intriguing story... Frustrating to read, and confusing to keep up with updates.

Even if it is the most exposure a lot of people have to ska in the first place.
This playlist had it on there twice.

And honestly most people have had more exposure to ska than they realize. I've encountered so many people who shit on ska music while professing love for No doubt, Sublime or even Bob Marley. Somehow most people do not draw the connection between reggae and rocksteady to ska.

This playlist had it on there twice.

And honestly most people have had more exposure to ska than they realize. I've encountered so many people who shit on ska music while professing love for No doubt, Sublime or even Bob Marley. Somehow most people do not draw the connection between reggae and rocksteady to ska.
In the same way that most people don't consciously connect jazz to the blues to rock and roll. Yes, the connect is there and it's easily proven, but it kind of doesn't matter in terms of just listening. In all honesty, as soon as you used the word rocksteady my brain just started filtering the entire sentence with static, retroactively. Add rudeboy, ragga, or bouyon and it might as well have been a different language.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones album with "Impression That I Get" on it is literally the only ska album I own, because I don't especially like ska, I like *that album*. I'm guessing a lot of people don't give a fuck about ska as a musical genre, so software-compiled lists don't have a lot to work with.

In the same way that most people don't consciously connect jazz to the blues to rock and roll. Yes, the connect is there and it's easily proven, but it kind of doesn't matter in terms of just listening. In all honesty, as soon as you used the word rocksteady my brain just started filtering the entire sentence with static, retroactively. Add rudeboy, ragga, or bouyon and it might as well have been a different language.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones album with "Impression That I Get" on it is literally the only ska album I own, because I don't especially like ska, I like *that album*. I'm guessing a lot of people don't give a fuck about ska as a musical genre, so software-compiled lists don't have a lot to work with.
What I mean is that Bob Marley, Sublime, and No Doubt (ESPECIALLY No Doubt- they actually have more ska than anything else) all have ska songs in their repertoire, but because they are known primarily for reggae (Marley) or because they call themselves rocksteady (No Doubt- liars) or something else entirely people don't realize that's what they are listening to. Hell, there have been a number of pretty successful ska-rock songs over the last 6-7 years but they hide by calling themselves something else

Plus the connection between ska, reggae and rocksteady is even more firm than jazz and rock. Reggae and rocksteady aren't just related to ska- they are direct sub genres of ska and many artists switch between the three and even combine them into the same songs (since the buggest difference really is the tempo it's not hard to do).

Anyway, I like the song. I just get sick of hearing it constantly.

You know, sometimes I think that 90% of the "People of Wal-Mart" are from about 10-15% of the actual Wal-Mart stores in the US. Because I rarely see any POWM candidates at our local Supercenter.

Maybe it's just my timing or something.

Cajungal

Staff member
The day grades are due: Could you prepare some extra credit for me? Also, it's shitty for parents to use public school as a threat. It's disgusting. And if you actually make good on your threat and send them, they're entering with a negative attitude because you've painted it as this horrible sentence.