Pet Peeve rants.

They're all part of the system, man, designed to keep people sick so they can make more money!
I was trying to explain to another "friend" how Flu vaccines are not this ultimate cash cow for MedImmune and Novartis. They're a routine product that's been streamlined efficiently enough to sell cheap. The general public seems to think scientists and technicians shouldn't get paid for their work in making drugs and medical products. There it is. The huge conspiracy is that *gasp* a business has to pay for its support staff and employees in order to stay in business and make profit. SHOCKING!

What's funny is a lot of protein based medicines are essentially made using cloning techniques and mass produced in huge vats of bacteria or yeast. Almost like a brewery. I use this analogy to the layman because as much as free beer would be awesome, it's not a good business model.

Last edited:
I was trying to explain to another "friend" how Flu vaccines are not this ultimate cash cow for MedImmune and Novartis. They're a routine product that's been streamlined efficiently enough to sell cheap. The general public seems to think scientists and technicians shouldn't get paid for their work in making drugs and medical products. There it is. The huge conspiracy is that *gasp* a business has to pay for its support staff and employees in order to stay in business and make profit. SHOCKING!

What's funny is a lot of protein based medicines are essentially made using cloning techniques and mass produced in huge vats of bacteria or yeast. Almost like a brewery. I use this analogy to the layman because as much as free beer would be awesome, it's not a good business model.
You know that scientists don't need to eat, that's just part of the narrative they're pushing on us.

People whom the public thinks shouldn't be paid:

* Government workers
* Politicians
* Doctors
* Lawyers
* Car Salesmen

People whom the public thinks shouldn't be paid:

* Government workers
* Politicians
* Doctors
* Lawyers
* Car Salesmen
Don't forget those fucking greedy teachers with their unions! Earning upwards of 50 -70k a year in rich states like CT, NY, and NJ!?!??! How dare they!!?? Using our tax money so they can earn a living!

I have friends who started out teaching non-union positions at private schools. They had to live at home to make ends meet.[DOUBLEPOST=1414873493,1414873306][/DOUBLEPOST]OOHHH! Additional pet peeve!

I HATE hearing the ol' I'm a tax payer excuse for everything under the sun. Yeah, you're a fucking tax payer. So are the rest of us, asshole. Take a ticket, sit down, and shut the hell up.

I HATE hearing the ol' I'm a tax payer excuse for everything under the sun. Yeah, you're a fucking tax payer. So are the rest of us, asshole. Take a ticket, sit down, and shut the hell up.
Whenever I hear that, it's more like the following in my head:
"nmMmMnNMnMnI pay my taxes!"
"That's admirable, but none of your taxes go directly to me. I don't make my living off your taxes."

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
Don't forget those fucking greedy teachers with their unions! Earning upwards of 50 -70k a year in rich states like CT, NY, and NJ!?!??! How dare they!!?? Using our tax money so they can earn a living!

I have friends who started out teaching non-union positions at private schools. They had to live at home to make ends meet.[DOUBLEPOST=1414873493,1414873306][/DOUBLEPOST]OOHHH! Additional pet peeve!

Man, 50k a year... I could finally live in an apartment with 2 bathrooms.

It actually embarrasses me when I find out how poorly paid police are in the US. My senior constable salary is easily double the average similar pay of a roughly equal officer south of the border. I also have copious overtime oppurtunities.

I'm increasingly getting fed up with political "funny" words.

Every time someone says something like libtard, or Faux News, I have to question that value in speaking with you. You sound like a third grader. Maybe you should be in third grade. Your asinine mockery of political views you don't subscribe to makes you look like a clown. I don't speak to clowns about politics. I don't speak to clowns at all, because they're clowns.

Another thing I hate is clowns.

I'm increasingly getting fed up with political "funny" words.

Every time someone says something like libtard, or Faux News, I have to question that value in speaking with you. You sound like a third grader. Maybe you should be in third grade. Your asinine mockery of political views you don't subscribe to makes you look like a clown. I don't speak to clowns about politics. I don't speak to clowns at all, because they're clowns.

Another thing I hate is clowns.
Fox Noise does not deserve to be called anything resembling a legitimate news organization. Beyond continuing to employ a commentator who blamed a teenage girl for her own rape and murder, recent programming makes me question how any woman can work for such a place with a clear conscience.

I mock them because there is nothing of value there. (Well, maybe Clayton Morris is an exception.)

(In the interest of full disclosure, I can't really stomach MSNBC or CNN anymore, either.)

fade

Staff member
Here's a pet peeve: complaints (including numerous 5 Reasons... articles) about people posting workout progress on social media. They always try to make it seem like the workout post is just some pointless ego trip. There's ego, sure, but it's more about gaining the motivation to go on. We all love being cheered on, and it seems like a better use of social media than selfies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have an uncle whose favorite epithet is "illiberal liberals." Over and over in every political e-mail. Aaagh.

Also another great-uncle who's still forwarding every ill-informed right-wing chain e-mail he can and still calling for Obama's impeachment. I mean, really, even if you don't like him, he's only got 2 years left. Even if it were possible, it'd probably take at least 1 year, maybe the full 2.

Dave

Staff member
I have an authenticator on my WoW account. It's on my iPad. So I can't buy WoD until I get home because I don't bring my iPad to work.

First world problem, but I just know I'm going to get busy making dinner and forget.

I have an authenticator on my WoW account. It's on my iPad. So I can't buy WoD until I get home because I don't bring my iPad to work.

First world problem, but I just know I'm going to get busy making dinner and forget.
Post your phone number and have everyone call you every 5 minutes until you do it.

GasBandit

Staff member

I dunno about the ipad, but with my android devices, I can simply log into calendar.google.com from anywhere and create a new calendar event with an alarm to remind me... so say, today, 7pm "reminder to buy WoW expansion," with alarm. And that will affect my phone, my nexus tablet, etc, even if I don't have them on me.

The iPad has a timer OR an alarm you can set in the clock app, or you can also use the reminders app to set a time- OR location-based reminder, or the calendars app can set an alert, or you can do all of the above.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Here's a pet peeve: complaints (including numerous 5 Reasons... articles) about people posting workout progress on social media. They always try to make it seem like the workout post is just some pointless ego trip. There's ego, sure, but it's more about gaining the motivation to go on. We all love being cheered on, and it seems like a better use of social media than selfies.
Ever consider that for some people, selfies serve a similar purpose?

Saturday night I was driving home, I exited the interstate onto a freeway. The on ramp is essentially the start of the highway, the on ramp is a single lane 75 mph with a 55 mph warning, it is about a mile long. At the bottom of a hill there is a road that crosses this on ramp. The car ahead of me on this on ramp STOPS just past the intersection and throws the car into REVERSE. A car that was on the cross road tried to cross after the other car passed. Then he sees the car about to back into him and does the BRILLIANT maneuver and STOPS directly behind the car reversing on the on ramp. I brake a little and Zoom past on the inside shoulder, honking my horn the whole time.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm starting to get sick of the overuse of hyperbole. And part of that disgust is realizing just how often I tend to use it myself. I'm trying to break myself of the habit, and start saving hyperbole for when it can make an impact, rather than having nearly everything be "the best/worst ever!"

Also, I'm starting to get annoyed with people who think that snide comments, eye-rolling (and other annoyed faces), and general mockery are a valid substitute for an argument. I get that it feels good to make fun of those you consider to be the opposition, but when a side's argument falls back to "gawd, I can't believe they just said that", and does so over and over again, that side starts to look the fool for feeling the need to react, even when it doesn't have anything new to say.

Okay. I just want to start it off by saying that I'm against Slut Shaming. I believe that uninvited sexual comments can be rude and harassing. I believe that a woman should be able to be scantily clad without inviting unwanted attention.

All that being said:

It's kind of annoying that when certain individuals have ample cleavage showing in every single photograph they post, and in fact sell prints of cleavage pictures, but then act like it's an accident or purely incidental. Look, it's fine that you do what you do. But acknowledge that it is what you're doing.

The 2011 version of the Thing.

It's my pet peeve that it exists and my own oversight now causes me to currently own it.

I wanted to get a copy of the Thing a little while ago because it's one of my favorite movies and my copy of it disappeared. So, I pop on Amazon and see that the bluray is 8 bucks. Yay, I say, and order it. I get the 2011 version in the mail 2 days later. BOOO! I say. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I should have checked before I ordered.

Thank you, program. When I told you to close, I did in fact actually want you to minimize to the task bar instead. Thank you so much for knowing better.

-said no one ever.

Cajungal

Staff member
I don't care whether their kid cries it out or not...but I just wonder who they're trying to convince with all these articles and blogs

Iron Man, Spider-Man 3, Incredible Hulk, Captain America, X-Men 2...

Superhero movies where the fight is "villain who has the same power as the hero."

Iron Man, Spider-Man 3, Incredible Hulk, Captain America, X-Men 2...

Superhero movies where the fight is "villain who has the same power as the hero."
I don't know, isn't that the ultimate test of a hero? Where he doesn't simply have an edge due to his unique power set, and it's his conviction, courage, intelligence, tenacity, and experience that win the day? Where he has to find an advantage that he's unused to using? (or in the case of shitty screenwriting, have a Deus Ex Machina show up and solve everything)

Plus, you get the dramatic element of watching a hero face a "dark mirror" version of themselves - the person they might be if they weren't on the side of the angels, so to speak.

I don't overly mind it when it's done well. Other times, you have Man of Steel.