[Question] Peripherals - Gaming Mouse

Ok, my old-as-sin Razer DeathAdder 3.5 is dying a slow death, and making gaming very difficult in the meantime. Most notably, I've clicked the left mouse button to death, and it can no longer track when I'm holding the button down vs. when I'm clicking extremely rapidly. I never click extremely rapidly, but it pretty much always thinks that's what I'm doing. This makes it nigh impossible to play pretty much everything that I want to play right now, since holding down the left mouse button does everything from mining dirt in Minecraft to using full-auto in Borderlands 2, to just plain walking long distances smoothly in games like PoE or D3. Oh, and as my dying mouse has just pointed out, highlighting text is a giant pain in the arse as well.

So, while I could just go buy a new Razer product, it looks like people are having problems with their cloud-based driver system, or have been having problems, or were having problems; so I come to the board for advice. A lot of you are much bigger/better gamers than I. Is there a mouse out there right now that I should consider instead of just picking up a new DeathAdder? I don't play MMOs anymore, so I really don't need all of the buttons of the Naga, and I don't need anything wireless.

I've been very happy with the Logitech G9X gaming mouse. It's normally $100, but if you buy the call of duty branded G9X it's $69. I bought it months ago when they must have had an overstock and found it for $40, so it was a steal back then, but I don't know if it's such a good deal now.

Amazon product

If you really like your mouse, though, you can probably get an electronics hobbyist to replace the switch inside that's failing for $20-$40.

The Logitech G500 has essentially the same engine internally (5700dpi) and is cheaper:

Amazon product

Reviews suggest it's just as good.

These are what I would consider high end gaming mice though, and you could readily get something less expensive that would be fine.

PCMag did a comparison earlier this year and weighs a number of options against each other:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415385,00.asp

And here's a more recent review list from the UK which has a few newer options:

http://www.t3.com/features/best-gaming-mouse-to-buy

Looks like the SteelSeries Sensei and Sensei Raw are good options right now as well.

I am also in the market for a decent mouse.
The Sensei looks like the closest to what I want, but I would be willing to entertain other options as well.

I want something that doesn't need drivers to work (so Razer is pretty much out of the running). It has to be ambidextrous and 3-button capable with a scroll wheel without dozens of extra buttons (a few are fine but I'm not looking for a Bat). It also has to track well and survive millions of clicks. I am currently using an ancient Logitech which is also having the L button problem @Gared mentions above (soaked up too many clicks), so it's probably time for it to go.

As I said, right now the Sensei looks to be the closest to what I want but I wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with mice that don't need gobs of 3rd party drivers installed before I can get them clicking.

--Patrick

G700s all the way you can have it wired or wireless it has grip surfaces on the side and the palm area is water repellent and it has 10 or more programmable buttons (I can't remember how many without looking at it)

I've used a Logitech MX518 for as long as I can remember. I've only ever had to replace it once, and I replaced it with another MX518. Solid, dependable, awesome.

I've used a Logitech MX518 for as long as I can remember. I've only ever had to replace it once, and I replaced it with another MX518. Solid, dependable, awesome.
I use an MX510 at work, I've owned it for years, and it's still going strong. At home I use what I replaced my MX510 with, a G5 (or is it a G500, same mouse basically just updated model, I forget which one it is). Pretty sure the G500s is just the updated model of it. They're the ones with the weights. I really love it, cord is solid, the options are nice, and the whole thing just has a nice feel in the hand.

I will swear on Logitech mice, and Logitech products in general have never given me any issues.

Used to have a G500. Got very used to it. Finally died on me after 4+yrs. I bought a G500s (the update). Haven't looked back.

I use a R.A.T. M (the mini-version of the R.A.T. 9) because I travel a lot. Love it, and you can customize for non-gaming purposes quite easily.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll really miss my MX1000 when it dies, but it's not really a gaming mouse. Honestly, it does have some issues with precision cursor movement and signal strength. But I've just gotten used to it over the last 10 years or so. I'll probably end up going with a g700 after this.

figmentPez

Staff member
I still miss my Logitech iFeel Mouseman. I'm sad that haptic feedback technology has never taken off in the PC world.

I could never bring myself to plunk down a large chunk of cash for a gaming mouse when I seem to be doing just fine with a standard logitec mouse.

GasBandit

Staff member
I could never bring myself to plunk down a large chunk of cash for a gaming mouse when I seem to be doing just fine with a standard logitec mouse.
I can understand that, but I've become spoiled in two regards - wirelessness (preferably with a charging cradle so I'm not fumbling with batteries all the time), and a thumb button (most often used for in-game VOIP). Without these two things, I feel hamstringed in the games I play.

GasBandit

Staff member
So remember those "precision movement" problems I was talking about in regards to my mx1000? It's probably due to age rather than defect, I've had it for so long, but anyway...

Yeah, they got worse. The thing shudders like an epileptic when I'm trying to do pixel-perfect things. I'm already not in the best place to put up with frustration lately, and it just got... I hit it with a hammer.

G700's supposed to get here tomorrow.

So remember those "precision movement" problems I was talking about in regards to my mx1000? It's probably due to age rather than defect, I've had it for so long, but anyway...

Yeah, they got worse. The thing shudders like an epileptic when I'm trying to do pixel-perfect things. I'm already not in the best place to put up with frustration lately, and it just got... I hit it with a hammer.

G700's supposed to get here tomorrow.
You're going to love it! If you have the charging cable plugged in then it will transfer data over that instead of wireless and it comes with a rechargeable battery

GasBandit

Staff member
You're going to love it! If you have the charging cable plugged in then it will transfer data over that instead of wireless and it comes with a rechargeable battery
I have it now, and I must say I'm monsterously disappointed. It won't track at all on my existing mousepad, and has difficulty on the desk itself (woodgrain). The only surfaces I have found it tracks well on is my chair's armrest and the tiny glossy literature packets that came in the box. I've tried it on every DPI from 200 to 3200 and the results are the same. I've tried it both on USB and wireless, no difference.

Use a plain white piece of paper taped to your desk. If that doesn't work, send it back.

If that does work, get a new mousepad.

Yeah, that's a bad mouse.
I tried a laser mouse for a while. One of the ones that promised to be able to work on any surface with scads of dpi. I returned it within two hours after I couldn't get it to work smoothly on a foam mousepad. It kept jerking and 'teleporting' on the mousepad but it would work find on the pantleg of my jeans. Packed that sucker right back up and returned it.

--Patrick

I have it now, and I must say I'm monsterously disappointed. It won't track at all on my existing mousepad, and has difficulty on the desk itself (woodgrain). The only surfaces I have found it tracks well on is my chair's armrest and the tiny glossy literature packets that came in the box. I've tried it on every DPI from 200 to 3200 and the results are the same. I've tried it both on USB and wireless, no difference.
Has to be a bad mouse. I just tried it on my woodgrain desk that has pits all in it (it's from the 90's yes I still use it and have it) and it works just as well as it does on my mousepad

Has to be a bad mouse. I just tried it on my woodgrain desk that has pits all in it (it's from the 90's yes I still use it and have it) and it works just as well as it does on my mousepad
Pits are actually ideal for optical mice, whether laser or not. They shine a light oblique to the surface, then look at the shadows it casts. The more rough the surface is, the better the tracking.

Laser mice take this a bit further. Laser light has that "sparkle" that changes as you move it around on reflective and refractive surfaces. That sparkle changes even with imperceptible movements, and works on nearly every surface. This means that even tinier changes are measurable on surfaces that aren't rough enough to read on an optical mouse, and the DPI doesn't depend partly on how rough the surface is. However it will have trouble tracking on certain surfaces which don't interact with the laser very nicely. You can shoot a red laser at the surface obliquely and check it out yourself. If it reflects completely (no red spot on the surface) then it's going to cause problems. If it's partially transparent or translucent (glass top desk) and the surface does have a red spot, as well as the material below, it will confuse the laser mouse because it's receiving two reflections back. There are other problematic surfaces as well - I've found some plastic topped mousepads don't work well with laser mice, but a cloth topped mousepad does. Right now I use a steelseries large gaming mousepad with a black cloth top and it tracks on every mouse I've tried it on so far.

Huh. Apparently several things were wrong with my old mouse. It didn't track nearly as well as I thought it did, there was that obnoxious click vs. hold down M1 issue, and the scroll wheel was a bit shot. The only issue I have with this one is that, as it's the DeathAdder 3500 Black edition, they changed the material on the sides and it's now a bit tricky to get a good grip on. I imagine that will improve with age and use, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
Got my replacement G700 on thursday. Much better. Tracks excellently. Still getting used to the rough texturing on the sides, where my thumb and smaller fingers rest, and the button styles are growing on me. The USB cable is a bit too thick and stiff to be comfortable during use, but definitely a good cordless mouse. I just have to remember to plug it back in to charge every night, as there is no sleep mode.

GasBandit

Staff member
There is an On/off button on the bottom of the mouse
Like I can remember THAT. My old MX 1000 had one too, but its sleep mode spoiled me into only having to charge it once or twice a week, and never bothering with the power switch.

It's not a big deal though, because unlike the MX-1000, which used a cradle to charge, I still can use the G700 while it's charging.

Like I can remember THAT. My old MX 1000 had one too, but its sleep mode spoiled me into only having to charge it once or twice a week, and never bothering with the power switch.

It's not a big deal though, because unlike the MX-1000, which used a cradle to charge, I still can use the G700 while it's charging.
Looking around on google it does seem it has a power save mode

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com...ging-the-power-mode-on-the-g700s-gaming-mouse[DOUBLEPOST=1380987554,1380987352][/DOUBLEPOST]
And now reading the reviews it still only last 2 days to 6 days with the standby mode lol