Pen & Paper Role Playing Games

I'd prefer a Ravenloft book myself, but at least we got Curse of Strahd.

As for Planescape 5th edition... now would be the time to do it, with the HD remaster of Planescape: Torment on the way.

Yeah, that's what the Planescape book will look like, too.
I'm fine with it. Have you looked at stat blocks for AD&D Planescape stuff? They're so obtuse.

So, has anyone watched the C-Team? It's Kris Straub, Amy Falcone, some dude I don't know and someone I'm going to have to try to get over having an ultra-crush on Kate Welch D&Ding as Acquisition's Inc. franchisees with Jerry Holkins DMing. Good stuff generally.

I'm seriously in total love with Kate Welch.

Yeah, that's what the Planescape book will look like, too.
I feel like Curse of Strahd had enough info in it to make your own campaign. You didn't HAVE to follow it's story. Maybe I'm just used to always having to improve off notes because parties are untrustworthy.

I feel like Curse of Strahd had enough info in it to make your own campaign. You didn't HAVE to follow it's story. Maybe I'm just used to always having to improve off notes because parties are untrustworthy.
Yeah, that's how they've been writing these things: half adventure, half setting. Out of the Abyss is very much part Underdark sourcebook, it even has a little section on all the various shrooms to be found.

Shit, is Tomb of Horrors in Tales from the Whatever that just came out? I have a copy of that still in an Amazon delivery box.

I am on a roll. Just bought the 3.5 Book of Vile Darkness.

Why, CAUSE. I'M FUCKING EEEEEVIL.

I've blown way to much money on D&D shit this month. There goes my PS4 next month.

So hopefully we're going to finally get started playing my brother's game of "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" fairly soon.
He's done a couple of sketches of our characters based on our descriptions of them:

My catgirl mechanic, Niz:
Niz By Dan.png

And my brother's friend's airship captain and all around scoundrel:
Joeys Character By Dan.png

Last edited:
LOL, first time my brother showed me that picture, I told him it had a Gaston-like vibe to it!

Edit:
The character is suppose to be pretty full of himself and is self-serving to the core.

No one sails through the skies like Gaston,
No one spreads women's thighs like Gaston,
No one hijacks a blimp like Gaston,
No one beats up a pimp like Gaston,
For there's no one as squirrely, destructive and surly,
Oh what a guy,
That Gaston!

I'll take this as a big fucking hopeful maybe.

Fair enough, though I'd say that they have to answer that way for all inquiries. At the same time, given they don't have to answer at all, it's somewhat hopeful.

OTOH though, you can run a PlaneScape-type 5E campaign right now if you want to. The basics about the multiverse, Sigil, etc, is all in the DMG. It's just they don't have a released module you so right now you'd need to write it yourself.

Dave

Staff member
So what's the best program to use to make custom character sheets? There's a lot of choices but they all seem to need you to have some sort of advanced degree to use.

Fair enough, though I'd say that they have to answer that way for all inquiries. At the same time, given they don't have to answer at all, it's somewhat hopeful.

OTOH though, you can run a PlaneScape-type 5E campaign right now if you want to. The basics about the multiverse, Sigil, etc, is all in the DMG. It's just they don't have a released module you so right now you'd need to write it yourself.
I don't own the Planescape books either and they're plenty super expensive now. I hate digital for my reading too so I COULD just download a torrent of all the books, but I just don't like doing it.

So what's the best program to use to make custom character sheets? There's a lot of choices but they all seem to need you to have some sort of advanced degree to use.
I think that the ones here work just fine: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

Form-fillable PDFs. You have to do the calculations yourself, but that's not a big deal IMO. And when I level up enough (proficiency bonus for instance), then I just update it and print out a fresh sheet.

I had a really good spreadsheet for filling out the character sheets for 5e, but now that I can fill one out in about 5 minutes on the fly from doing it so often, I'm not sure where I put it. Please hold.

Not for D&D. Custom character sheets, not D&D character sheets.
Do you mean you're looking for something better, more efficient, than Word or Excel? Maybe try Publisher or a similar, Non-Microsoft program.

Or Corel Draw or the like.

Dave

Staff member
Do you mean you're looking for something better, more efficient, than Word or Excel? Maybe try Publisher or a similar, Non-Microsoft program.

Or Corel Draw or the like.
Something like the Corel Draw thing, only a program that doesn't take an advanced degree to figure out. I looked at the Word/Excel route but they look like they were done in Word or Excel, if you get my meaning.

Adobe Illustrator is actually pretty simple if all you need is words and boxes, although InDesign would probably be the proper Adobe program for your needs. I imagine Corel Draw probably isn't that bad either, just the interface can seem overwhelming at first.

Something like the Corel Draw thing, only a program that doesn't take an advanced degree to figure out. I looked at the Word/Excel route but they look like they were done in Word or Excel, if you get my meaning.
Aye. I get your meaning.

A simpler Corel Draw is what I figured you were looking for.

I don't actually have any suggestions other than to google a simpler Corel Draw.

If you want something simple and easy to use, but better looking, you might also consider PowerPoint. It's often associated with those boring and tacky looking presentations, but it's incredibly simple in creating and moving around text boxes and images, yet you can make some really cool stuff if you put a little effort into it.

I've had plenty of success just in Paint-type programs, though vector ones (Illustrator, etc) are probably the best. Libreoffice has a module named "Draw" that will probably fit the bill, though I don't know how easy it is to use.

--Patrick