Pen & Paper Role Playing Games

As someone who likes story-lines and lore for party members, pretty fucken hard to work with monk/mage/rogue BS some people pull off in their game builds.
What the fuck is a Cleric/Wizard anyways? The concept of that is just stupid.

I guess that's a question on what the DM allows in his/her game.

Cleric/Wizard can make sense depending on your deity, but it means you have to have points in int and wisdom.

My party's bard multiclassed to sorcerer just to get some party AE going on.

As someone who likes story-lines and lore for party members, pretty fucken hard to work with monk/mage/rogue BS some people pull off in their game builds.
What the fuck is a Cleric/Wizard anyways? The concept of that is just stupid.

I guess that's a question on what the DM allows in his/her game.
Ehh... I can justify the Cleric/Wizard multiclass: A hedge wizard who specialized in weather spells for his community grew to appreciate and, eventually, grow to worship the destructive and cleansing nature of the weather he created. One night, a vision of the god of storms appeared and spoke to him, beckoning him to a higher calling. He now serves the temple of Thor as a prophet, providing succor to the needy and 1.21 gigawatts to the guilty.

Or, fuck, maybe he was just a lay member of the church for years, helping them out with various wizardly tasks (such as identifying items or crafting potions) they needed as part of his commitment to his faith. He eventually heard the calling of Thor and became a full fledged member of the church later in life, using his arcane training to bolster his divine magic. That backstory is so positively mundane that it basically happens in the real world with actual priests.

Really, there are a lot of ways to play such a simple multiclass, storywise. It's the guys who want 3 or more classes that you need to worry about.

One of these days I'm gonna make a 3rd edition character with a different class for every level.

I mean, I've done a 4th level monk/cleric/rogue/barbarian, and I gotta tell you, that flurry of sneak attack punches were even more fun once I was raging.

Even had some lore behind it, creating a monastic tradition that encouraged the embrace of chaos, a paradoxical philosophy which would inevitably draw its adherents toward a chaotic alignment and thus be ineligible to continue as a monk, instead finding their own path. The most successful adherents would have very few monk levels.

For my Rogue I've considered multiclassing, but it's too hard to give up the 1d6 sneak attack every 2 levels. I'm also eagerly waiting for reliable talent (take 10 for any proficient skill).

I've had some students ask me to run a D&D club for them the last few years (Grades 5-8) and for next year i've been using the 5e players handbook to guide them through character creation. Been really fun thus far. Having never played D&D before it's been a learning process for sure, I started with 4e a few years back for my first group and used the podcast Critical Hit as inspiration as I went through the 4e Red Box stuff with them. Lately been listening to a lot of The Adventure Zone podcast on my commute to work which is a 5e podcast by the McElroy Brothers and their dad if anyone is familiar with their other podcast: My Brother, My Brother and Me.

I've found that lots of kids are interested at first, but then shy away when it's not that instant button push reward that they're used to. Having to actually build a character and problem solve is extremely foreign and difficult for many kids. Luckily for some, it just comes naturally which is great.

Cleric/Wizard can make sense depending on your deity, but it means you have to have points in int and wisdom.

My party's bard multiclassed to sorcerer just to get some party AE going on.
This is fine, a bard is supposed to be able to perform a few spells and playing a sorc is perfect. I'm just talking about unorthodox mix-max bs.

Has anyone played a Shadowrun game? How does it work? Does it play well?

I haven't played Shadowrun since 1998, it involved a lot of d6's but the setting was great. I doubt the mechanics are the same.

I haven't played Shadowrun since 1998, it involved a lot of d6's but the setting was great. I doubt the mechanics are the same.
This. The setting is awesome.

The mechanics are generally terrible in previous generations. For instance, you could very easily find yourself in a situation where you could literally not injure an opponent. For example, one adventure's final enemies was a fairly young Western Dragon. What made him almost unkillable was that he had Hardened Armor as an innate ability. To explain, that means that his natural armor worked like vehicular armor: You added his armor rating (8) and body attribute (12) together, giving you 20. You immediately subtracted that from your weapon's power. There was 1 weapon in the game with a damage rating over 20: the Assault Cannon, which was 22 Deadly. So your 22 was reduced to 2. Fair enough, you can still technically injure him. How do you try and bump that up? Well, you can use your own successes to boost the damage. Say your Mercenary or Street Samurai using the Assault Cannon has a gunnery rating of 6, you can roll 6d6 to determine your successes. There are a goddamn FUCK TON of modifiers, but let's just use the base Target Number of 4. So, 6d6, 4+ is a success. Assuming average distribution, you get 3 successes. That's 1 additional level of damage, because for every 2 successes, you increase the level of damage to the next higher: Light to Moderate, Moderate to Serious, Serious to Deadly. So the base damage type was Deadly and you've got one level on top of that, right? Wrong, because Hardened Armor also reduces the damage by 1 level (hence, light weapons will never do any damage). Still, your additional successes make sure he's still got to resist a Deadly wound, which will incapacitate him. Even better, you can use your combat pool, and allot extra dice, up to your skill rating, to your attempt. So that's another 6d6, so instead of 3 successes, that's a whopping six successes! So that's Deadly++ for him to resist. But here's the bad part: The dragon's Target Number to resist is 2. So he gets 12d6 to resist damage automatically, and for every pair of d6s that he rolls a 2+ on, it lowers the damage by one level, from Deadly to Serious, Serious to Moderate, Moderate to Light, and Light to No Damage. Assuming average distribution, all but 2 of the dice would be 2 or better (Defender wins the tie), so with 10 successes, he'd reduce the damage 5 levels, so Deadly++ becomes Deadly+, becomes Deadly, becomes Serious, becomes Moderate, becomes Light. You inflict a Light Wound. Except you don't, because the dragon has a combat pool too. He can spend another 12 dice to resist each round. Even if he rolls ten 1s and two 2+, he still takes ZERO DAMAGE.

There's a reason they had to build what is essentially a combination nuclear/viral bomb to take out the dragon that rampaged through Europe in Shadowrun: Dragonfall.
Yes, but that was a GREAT Dragon, this was supposed to be a young one, and also, you had to slay the dragon to complete the module (if you didn't, he would devote his considerable resources to hunting the team down and really making them a personal project, IIRC).

This. The setting is awesome.

The mechanics are generally terrible in previous generations. For instance, you could very easily find yourself in a situation where you could literally not injure an opponent. For example, one adventure's final enemies was a fairly young Western Dragon. What made him almost unkillable was that he had Hardened Armor as an innate ability. To explain, that means that his natural armor worked like vehicular armor: You added his armor rating (8) and body attribute (12) together, giving you 20. You immediately subtracted that from your weapon's power. There was 1 weapon in the game with a damage rating over 20: the Assault Cannon, which was 22 Deadly. So your 22 was reduced to 2. Fair enough, you can still technically injure him. How do you try and bump that up? Well, you can use your own successes to boost the damage. Say your Mercenary or Street Samurai using the Assault Cannon has a gunnery rating of 6, you can roll 6d6 to determine your successes. There are a goddamn FUCK TON of modifiers, but let's just use the base Target Number of 4. So, 6d6, 4+ is a success. Assuming average distribution, you get 3 successes. That's 1 additional level of damage, because for every 2 successes, you increase the level of damage to the next higher: Light to Moderate, Moderate to Serious, Serious to Deadly. So the base damage type was Deadly and you've got one level on top of that, right? Wrong, because Hardened Armor also reduces the damage by 1 level (hence, light weapons will never do any damage). Still, your additional successes make sure he's still got to resist a Deadly wound, which will incapacitate him. Even better, you can use your combat pool, and allot extra dice, up to your skill rating, to your attempt. So that's another 6d6, so instead of 3 successes, that's a whopping six successes! So that's Deadly++ for him to resist. But here's the bad part: The dragon's Target Number to resist is 2. So he gets 12d6 to resist damage automatically, and for every pair of d6s that he rolls a 2+ on, it lowers the damage by one level, from Deadly to Serious, Serious to Moderate, Moderate to Light, and Light to No Damage. Assuming average distribution, all but 2 of the dice would be 2 or better (Defender wins the tie), so with 10 successes, he'd reduce the damage 5 levels, so Deadly++ becomes Deadly+, becomes Deadly, becomes Serious, becomes Moderate, becomes Light. You inflict a Light Wound. Except you don't, because the dragon has a combat pool too. He can spend another 12 dice to resist each round. Even if he rolls ten 1s and two 2+, he still takes ZERO DAMAGE.
It's a lot less complex now. They did release 5th edition i think around a year and a half, maybe two years ago now.

There's two damage tracks: Physical and Stun. Physical deals with damage from guns, blades, explosions, etc.; whereas Stun deals with damage from fists, kicks, blunt weapons, concussion grenades and shock weapons. Magic can be either, depends on the spell. It's essentially your hit points.

Combat works like this:

1. Attack declares his attack.

2. Attacker rolls his relevant Combat Skill + the associated Attribute plus any modifiers. For example, if he's attacking with a Pistol and he has a Pistol skill of 4 and an Agility rating of 5 he'd roll 9d6. Anything on a 4+ is a hit. Total up the number of hits.

3. Defender makes a defense test. He has a couple of options on how to do this but the standard test is to roll his Reaction + Intuition attributes plus any modifiers. 4+ is a hit. Total up the number of hits. If the defender scores more hits than the attacker, the attack misses. If the attacker scores exactly the same number or more hits than the defender, the attack hits. If the attacker scores more hits than the defender, the excess number of hits is added to the damage value of the weapon. For Example, an Ares Predator V pistol has does 8 Physical damage. If the attacker scored 2 hits more than the defender, the total damage from the pistol would be 10 Physical.

4. The defender tries to resist the damage. He makes a Body + Armor Value roll. Each hit (4+) cancels out 1 point of damage. Whatever's left over is applied to your damage track. Depending on how badly the defender rolls here, even a pistol shot can really fuck you up in this game. Average person who's not a Troll will probably have a Physical damage track of 10-12 usually.

That's the basic gist of it. There's obviously various modifiers that can affect those rolls but the sequence of events is always the same.

It's a lot less complex now. They did release 5th edition i think around a year and a half, maybe two years ago now.

There's two damage tracks: Physical and Stun. Physical deals with damage from guns, blades, explosions, etc.; whereas Stun deals with damage from fists, kicks, blunt weapons, concussion grenades and shock weapons. Magic can be either, depends on the spell. It's essentially your hit points.

Combat works like this:

1. Attack declares his attack.

2. Attacker rolls his relevant Combat Skill + the associated Attribute plus any modifiers. For example, if he's attacking with a Pistol and he has a Pistol skill of 4 and an Agility rating of 5 he'd roll 9d6. Anything on a 4+ is a hit. Total up the number of hits.

3. Defender makes a defense test. He has a couple of options on how to do this but the standard test is to roll his Reaction + Intuition attributes plus any modifiers. 4+ is a hit. Total up the number of hits. If the defender scores more hits than the attacker, the attack misses. If the attacker scores exactly the same number or more hits than the defender, the attack hits. If the attacker scores more hits than the defender, the excess number of hits is added to the damage value of the weapon. For Example, an Ares Predator V pistol has does 8 Physical damage. If the attacker scored 2 hits more than the defender, the total damage from the pistol would be 10 Physical.

4. The defender tries to resist the damage. He makes a Body + Armor Value roll. Each hit (4+) cancels out 1 point of damage. Whatever's left over is applied to your damage track. Depending on how badly the defender rolls here, even a pistol shot can really fuck you up in this game. Average person who's not a Troll will probably have a Physical damage track of 10-12 usually.

That's the basic gist of it. There's obviously various modifiers that can affect those rolls but the sequence of events is always the same.
Yeah that's a lot simpler. Here's how it was in 2E:

1. Roll initiative, which is your Reaction + 1d6, unless you're augmented, via cyberware, magic, or being a physical adept, or are a creature with it's own initiative modifiers. A street samurai will generally have have an initiative score of 10+3d6 (due to Wired Reflexes II), everyone else is usually around 6+1d6. The highest initiative determines the number of phases that action occurs in. So, assume average rolls, the Street Samurai will have an initiative of 21, most others will have an initiative of 9. You get to act on your initiative phase, and again if your phase minus ten is still above zero. To wit, the Street Sam will act on phase 21, phase 11, everyone else will go on phase 9, then the Sam will act again on phase 1.

2. People declare their intended actions, slowest to fastest. This allows characters who act first to react to slower characters who haven't acted yet.

3. Attacker declares his attack. Let's say the corporate combat mage is preparing a manaball to blast the group with; the Street Sam decides for his first phase to shoot at him with his SMG, firing a burst.

4. Attacker rolls his relevant Combat Skill + any combat pool they decide to use. Street Sam has a Pistol Skill of 6 and he uses 6 points of combat pool (you can use up to your skill rating), letting him use 12d6. 4+ is a success, so on average, 6 successes. Each 2 successes increases the damage code one step. Normally, a SMG would do 9M(moderate) damage, but as a burst, it becomes 12S(serious). That becomes 12D(Deadly)++.

5. Defender makes a defense test. The power of the attack is reduced by armor, so if the mage is wearing a ballistic jacket or lined coat, that's 4 points of ballistic armor. So that's 8D++. To resist, the defender uses his Body rating + armor rating + combat pool. Body 4 + Armor 4 + 4 dice of combat pool, means 12d6. But he only succeeds on a 8+. So, average distribution means 2 sixes, which get rerolled; we'll be generous and say both are 2+. That's 2 successes to reduce damage. However, that's not enough to knock the damage below Deadly, and the mage is out of the fight (possibly dead).

Last edited:
I've recently ventured into the realm of D&D with a group of friends, we've been playing board games for a while and one of us got in touch with D&D, to which we decided to try it. I'm pretty excited, been wanting to try it for a long time (but previously lacking friends who share the interest). We're doing 5e, and after some initial test runs (where lots of us got killed), we now have the following party:

- A Gnome Sorcerer
- A Tiefling Paladin
- A Half-Orc Monk
- A Dwarf Tempest Cleric
- A Half-Elf Bard (me)

I know, should be interesting, right? :p

I've recently ventured into the realm of D&D with a group of friends, we've been playing board games for a while and one of us got in touch with D&D, to which we decided to try it. I'm pretty excited, been wanting to try it for a long time (but previously lacking friends who share the interest). We're doing 5e, and after some initial test runs (where lots of us got killed), we now have the following party:

- A Gnome Sorcerer
- A Tiefling Paladin
- A Half-Orc Monk
- A Dwarf Tempest Cleric
- A Half-Elf Bard (me)

I know, should be interesting, right? :p
Very very balanced I'd say. Maybe slightly melee-weak, but maybe not. Should be quite interesting.

Yeah, I was a bit worried about the melee (and specifically, meat shielding :p), but so far we've managed with relative ease, even without the Cleric (who wasn't present at our first real session).

There's been a lot of tweaking since the initial introduction, for example the Dwarven Cleric was at first a Gnome Cleric Trickster, because she found the idea funny that a small, sweet, and usually Good/Lawful creature & class would cause all kinds of havoc and mischief. I'm very glad she changed it to Dwarven Tempest Cleric for a much needed frontliner.

Same goes for the other party members, I think the most fun they've had so far is conceiving the characters with as much sillyness or contrast they can think of (lol @ Tiefling Paladin and Half-Orc Monk with a Criminal background), and then there's me: a controller and very much optimization nerd (hence the Half-Elf Bard). The Sorcerer was a martial class at first as well (I think a Rogue), but she missed a lot of attacks and wanted some blasting power to deal with physical damage resistance. I was very glad to have another spellcaster on board, and now with the Cleric we should do fine with all types of magic casting.

What did surprise me after we started, is how few spells the spellcasters have available at low levels. During the testphase I blew through all my spells which all fizzled because of an invisible magic barrier (yay..), then there was nothing else to do but either cast cantrips or venture into melee combat. With the first part of our campaign, I started out as a spy on the enemies' side and managed to talk my 'allies' into attacking the group of adventurers in very bad ways, which was very fun to do :p. But now we're facing a probably long run of encounters and I'm not sure how to manage the few spells that I have and what to do when I'm not casting (Vicious Mockery over and over seems kinda dull and I'm not too confident in melee combat..)

In 5E, a lot of spells are Encounter or return upon a Short Rest - which is just 5minutes, really. The amount of spells is pretty OK, I think.
Alternatively, retool someone to a Warlock, get back nearly all spells on a short rest. MUHAHAHA.

In 5E, a lot of spells are Encounter or return upon a Short Rest - which is just 5minutes, really. The amount of spells is pretty OK, I think.
Alternatively, retool someone to a Warlock, get back nearly all spells on a short rest. MUHAHAHA.
That's very class-dependent, not spell-dependent. For example, Warlock gets everything back on a Short Rest which is AT LEAST an hour long, not 5 minutes (PHB 186). But Wizards and a few others have various forms of "recovery" which work on short rests, and thus let you get some slots back between long rests.

Being that "encounter" is not a time frame in 5E, are you thinking of 4E? I've heard (never played it) that some things are like that there.

That's very class-dependent, not spell-dependent. For example, Warlock gets everything back on a Short Rest which is AT LEAST an hour long, not 5 minutes (PHB 186). But Wizards and a few others have various forms of "recovery" which work on short rests, and thus let you get some slots back between long rests.

Being that "encounter" is not a time frame in 5E, are you thinking of 4E? I've heard (never played it) that some things are like that there.
Eh, I'm probably mixing the two of them up, yes, it's clearly been far too long since I've played :(

I'm also pretty sure you're only allowed one Short Rest inbetween Long Rests, or that the features that return things on a Short Rest usually only work once a day.

I'm also pretty sure you're only allowed one Short Rest inbetween Long Rests, or that the features that return things on a Short Rest usually only work once a day.
What? No. The DMG says 2 SRs per day (lunch and dinner, basically) is the "norm" classes are balanced around (but more or less are okay). Allowing only one SR a day would weaken a Warlock quite a bit.

What? No. The DMG says 2 SRs per day (lunch and dinner, basically) is the "norm" classes are balanced around (but more or less are okay). Allowing only one SR a day would weaken a Warlock quite a bit.
Ah, so it's answered in the DM guide. I only have Player's Handbook.

Bleh, they're finally releasing another Monster Manualish book and it's totally Forgotten Realms centric.

Boo Forgotten Realms! Enough with the Forgotten Realms source books.

Bleh, they're finally releasing another Monster Manualish book and it's totally Forgotten Realms centric.

Boo Forgotten Realms! Enough with the Forgotten Realms source books.
I really wish they'd buckle down and get some Ravenloft stuff out. Always been my favorite setting but it seems to get the short end of the stick.

A) I want a 5th Edition Planescape book. I FUCKING WANT IT. DO IT! FUCK!

B) I just bought this:

Amazon product

Really stoked for it. It's a behemoth 5th edition bestiary. I am a sucker for bestiaries.

Also, I just got asked to DM a new group of players so I know it's going to come in handy. I haven't DMed in years.