Pc Game Piracy - Opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elph

I theorize that if everyone had a replicator and would never need to buy anything, then there would be no *need* for economy. Creators would create just to get their creation out there, not for monetary gain or means of survival.

Need more steak? Zap it with the replicator.
Need more fuel? Zap it with the replicator.
Need another shirt because your current one is getting too grungy? Zap it with the replicator.
Need another replicator? Zap it with the replicator.

Because, in the digital world, the quality isn't any different from a copy of a copy of a copy (etc), there's no reason to think that this replicator would cause substandard products either.

Tin, if this was what you were suggesting in your long post, I didn't read it all through yet, so I apologize if I'm repeating things for you. If not, well, I'll read it in a little bit.

Pretty much, Elph.

In the digital world, that's the world we live in...You can replicate anything for free, so is it any surprise that a business model built on monetizing the scarcity of goods is failing?

C

Chazwozel

Pretty much, Elph.

In the digital world, that's the world we live in...You can replicate anything for free, so is it any surprise that a business model built on monetizing the scarcity of goods is failing?
So if you clone yourself and the clone gives you a blowjob, would it be considered gay?

Mav said:
When game companies stop treating their customers like criminals from the start, maybe things would be a little different. I haven't pirated a game in years, I can buy them as I want. But the days of shareware versions of games, or even your run of the mill DEMO of games are going the way of the Dodo.
This argument is flawed. Copy protection exists because people pirate games, it's not the other way around. Hard to fault game companies for overreacting when they watch previous games fail due to rampant piracy.

Mav said:
When game companies stop treating their customers like criminals from the start, maybe things would be a little different. I haven't pirated a game in years, I can buy them as I want. But the days of shareware versions of games, or even your run of the mill DEMO of games are going the way of the Dodo.
This argument is flawed. Copy protection exists because people pirate games, it's not the other way around. Hard to fault game companies for overreacting when they watch previous games fail due to rampant piracy.
bb, copy protection has been around for as long as piracy, and it mainly just pisses off the costumer and makes him pirate the products to not have to deal with it. Now, to read the rest of this post, open your user manual and go to page 64, third paragraph, fourth word. Then use the word decoder.

C

Chazwozel

Mav said:
bb, copy protection has been around for as long as piracy, and it mainly just pisses off the costumer and makes him pirate the products to not have to deal with it. Now, to read the rest of this post, open your user manual and go to page 64, third paragraph, fourth word. Then use the word decoder.[/QUOTE]

/eyeroll This hearkens back to my days of pirating games. I believe XWing and Tie Fighter both used this as well as other LucasArts games. You do realize that prior, there was absolutely nothing stopping someone from copying the floppy and distributing (or even selling the game). Within a month of the release of a game there would be BB sites with lists of the correct keycodes from the manuals.

"Stick it to the man"

Mav said:
bb, copy protection has been around for as long as piracy, and it mainly just pisses off the costumer and makes him pirate the products to not have to deal with it. Now, to read the rest of this post, open your user manual and go to page 64, third paragraph, fourth word. Then use the word decoder.[/quote]

/eyeroll This hearkens back to my days of pirating games. I believe XWing and Tie Fighter both used this as well as other LucasArts games. You do realize that prior, there was absolutely nothing stopping someone from copying the floppy and distributing (or even selling the game). Within a month of the release of a game there would be BB sites with lists of the correct keycodes from the manuals.

"Stick it to the man"[/QUOTE]

"Don't copy that floppy"

E

elph

Pretty much, Elph.

Yeah, just read yours over. Pretty much.

I just had to get the boy to school and this whole 'magical replicator' thing was getting annoying that the obvious ramifications would be missed so I had to post my 2¥.

Pretty much, Elph.

So if you clone yourself and the clone gives you a blowjob, would it be considered gay?[/QUOTE]

If by gay, you mean awesome, then yes. ;)

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

\"Stick it to the man\"
Actually, other forms of copy protection existed prior to this. Back on the old apple 2+, they had this technique where they could write 'half track'..programmers would bounce the floppy drive read head to read on half-tracks instead of normal tracks, which would make copying very problematic.

you could use this theory to write on half tracks and then normal tracks and then half tracks, creating another scheme called "Spiral tracking"

a good website detailing early copy protection schemes is here:
http://rittwage.com/c64pp/dp.php?pg=protection

I spent a lot of time in my youth decompiling boot sectors into the assembler. Heh.

C

Chibibar

Piracy is piracy no matter how you slice it. I believe if the developers make a good software a limited demo version is a good way to get it out there and people to try it out.

fade

Staff member
The C64 had some awesome copy protection, too.

EDIT: Never mind, I see that that's what your link goes to!

The C64 had some awesome copy protection, too.

EDIT: Never mind, I see that that's what your link goes to!
Yeah, a lot of C64 and Apple 2+ copy protections were very similar...I looked for "half track" on google, and hit the c64 page. Since it detailed most of the Apple 2+ schemes I was familiar with, I went no further.

re Chibi's "piracy=piracy"
This isn't an argument. Change the word piracy with "copying". You get "Copying=copying." well, yeah, it is.
The argument is whether copying is immoral and should be illegal. One one hand is the argument that you're costing developers money. On the other hand is the argument that copying is a natural economic progression.

People should read up on 'Commodification'. An mp3 file is a commodity. It doesn't matter who you get it from: Limewire, iTunes, RIAA, playlist.com whoever. When you get that song, it's the same song. And because of the way commodities work, the price margins on them are typically razor thin. You can't jack the price up on notebook paper, because someone else is happy to sell it at a price that barely makes them a profit. So, with commodity goods, the price typically crashes down to something barely above the cost to produce.

And how much does it cost to produce a copy of an mp3 file? Nothing. Naturally, many people are going to acquire those mp3 files as cheaply as they can, which means for free. Other people will have no problem providing those files as cheaply as they can, which also means for free, since the cost of duplicating an mp3 file is near-zero. This, naturally, chaps the ass of people who want to make money selling mp3s.

If you strip away the moral outrage, piracy is a very easily understood economic model. When a product becomes free to produce, and there are essentially unlimited units of that product creating zero scarcity, very few people are going to pay for that product in the long term.

Crud, you reminded me that I do pirate pretty heavily Chaz. Music. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD or MP3.

Hell, I "bought" Do You Want To Date My Avatar, yet I just downloaded it on Limewire last night to put on my mp3 today. :facepalm:

G

Gill Kaiser

The most ironic thing about the more aggressive forms of DRM like SecuROM is that the pirates simply bypass it, whereas the owners of legit copies are stuck with it forever more. OK, some might say that the aim of the DRM is to slow down the process of cracking the game for the pirate release in order to maximise sales in the first few days/weeks, but that seems like a weak excuse to me. These types of DRM treat every consumer as a potential pirate by default, yet end up only punishing the innocent.

For example, if you look at a game like Mass Effect PC, the SecuROM and download limits are unavoidable unless you pirate it. As a Bioware fan, I own a legit copy of Mass Effect, but I actually keep the pirated release installed instead because it's simply less hassle.

Thankfully EA seem to have realised that their DRM policies were flawed after the massive backlash that the version of SecuROM in Mass Effect and Spore caused in the community. If you look at The Sims 3 and the upcoming Dragon Age, both use/will use simple disc check DRM, while also providing incentive for purchasing a legit copy (The Sims 3 has the free additional neighbourhood for download with a legit serial key, and Dragon Age has Shale and Blood Dragon Armour 'DLC' codes provided with the game bought new), instead of punishing the purchaser. I like that EA are using the carrot rather than the stick, it seems to mark a fundamental shift in their perceptions of their consumers, their relationship with piracy, and their entire business model.

I like what Crone said about Limewire: it's like AIDS for your computer.
I do all my downloads on my "internet condom" computer. Scan everything as it comes in, scan it when it hits the HD, then scan it when I transfer it to my main system.

So far, so good. :noidea:

E

elph

The most ironic thing about the more aggressive forms of DRM like SecuROM is that the pirates simply bypass it, whereas the owners of legit copies are stuck with it forever more. OK, some might say that the aim of the DRM is to slow down the process of cracking the game for the pirate release in order to maximise sales in the first few days/weeks, but that seems like a weak excuse to me. These types of DRM treat every consumer as a potential pirate by default, yet end up only punishing the innocent.

For example, if you look at a game like Mass Effect PC, the SecuROM and download limits are unavoidable unless you pirate it. As a Bioware fan, I own a legit copy of Mass Effect, but I actually keep the pirated release installed instead because it's simply less hassle.

Thankfully EA seem to have realised that their DRM policies were flawed after the massive backlash that the version of SecuROM in Mass Effect and Spore caused in the community. If you look at The Sims 3 and the upcoming Dragon Age, both use/will use simple disc check DRM, while also providing incentive for purchasing a legit copy (The Sims 3 has the free additional neighbourhood for download with a legit serial key, and Dragon Age has Shale and Blood Dragon Armour 'DLC' codes provided with the game bought new), instead of punishing the purchaser. I like that EA are using the carrot rather than the stick, it seems to mark a fundamental shift in their perceptions of their consumers, their relationship with piracy, and their entire business model.
The 'funny' part with Sims 3, is that the consumer is still punished. They cripple their software with lack of items so they can drain customers through the store's micro transactions. While the pirate still got the new town, still gets all the store content. The only aspect in which the pirate is unable to participate through the Sims 3, is through the exchange. Which doesn't matter because there are quite a number of sites to download player created content.

It's been proven time and again, that copy protection does nothing against pirates.

G

Gill Kaiser

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8328820.stm

looks like the UK is going to do something about illegal downloads (I figure it is fitting with piracy talk)
Man, the thing I hate about this is that while it seems to be conceived with the best intentions, it also seems to have been written up by people who don't really understand what they're talking about. I can't really see how this policy will be sustainable in practice. It's like an extension of the RIAA's policies towards music piracy (namely, bullying and intimidation through example), and we all know how effective that's been. I'd much prefer it if companies falling victim to piracy found ways to alter their business model in order to make piracy less appealing in comparison, rather than just seeking to enact punishments.

Also, is it just me, or are we in the UK losing civil rights by the bucketload recently?

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

The 'funny' part with Sims 3, is that the consumer is still punished. They cripple their software with lack of items so they can drain customers through the store's micro transactions. While the pirate still got the new town, still gets all the store content. The only aspect in which the pirate is unable to participate through the Sims 3, is through the exchange. Which doesn't matter because there are quite a number of sites to download player created content.[/QUOTE]

Ah well, that's just plain old greed. The Sims 3 is EA's main cash cow franchise, after all. The lack of items out of the box isn't really anything to do with piracy, EA just want to milk their customers. I agree, the prices for official extra items in the Sims 3 Store are, frankly, ludicrous.

C

Chibibar

looks like the UK is going to do something about illegal downloads (I figure it is fitting with piracy talk)
Man, the thing I hate about this is that while it seems to be conceived with the best intentions, it also seems to have been written up by people who don't really understand what they're talking about. I can't really see how this policy will be sustainable in practice. It's like an extension of the RIAA's policies towards music piracy (namely, bullying and intimidation through example), and we all know how effective that's been. I'd much prefer it if companies falling victim to piracy found ways to alter their business model in order to make piracy less appealing in comparison, rather than just seeking to enact punishments.

Also, is it just me, or are we in the UK losing civil rights by the bucketload recently?
[/QUOTE]

Yea. I have to agree. People pirate for various reasons but I bet one of them is "it is not work X dollars" mentality. Look at iTunes, they are selling music in boatload via 99 cent songs. If you make stuff affordable, people will buy it. If you make a program worthwhile, people will buy it.

S

SeraRelm

Oh, we're not talking strictly about video games now?

Shit, my iPod is so full of movies I didn't pay for it's not even funny.

The only real difference I see between games and other forms of piratable media is that you pay to see movies at a theater, you pay to hear music at a concert, the only revenue most video games are going to generate comes from selling a copy.

That's a very big difference! Many musicians earn most of their money from concerts instead of sales, for instance.

C

Chazwozel

[/QUOTE]

Yea. I have to agree. People pirate for various reasons but I bet one of them is "it is not work X dollars" mentality. Look at iTunes, they are selling music in boatload via 99 cent songs. If you make stuff affordable, people will buy it. If you make a program worthwhile, people will buy it.[/QUOTE]

iTunes is still a ripoff. I expect to be able to download shit I pay for as many times as my little heart desires.

Mav said:

Dude, some of the best selling games where pirated like crazy...

Whatever happened to offering a good MP service... you know how many people i know that bought Diablo 2 and/or Starcraft to play on b.net once the price went down enough... and over here you get look at funny if you actually go buying games... (not that the stores make it easy, every new game is the equivalent of 50 Euros ever since we got in the EU, while the medium income only went up to 300 euros from 200$ - dollar went down etc.).

fade

Staff member
I'm willing to bet that those measures stop a great deal of casual pirating, which is probably what their accountants and lawyers calculated for, given that they have a lot more knowledge of industry internals than ranters on the web do. Barring your windows keeps casual thieves out, but it certainly won't stop anyone dedicated to getting into your house. Doesn't make window bars ineffective. The main difference is that a) the number of dedicated thieves is larger, and b) the fenced product can be duplicated indefinitely. I'm not saying (before someone takes the internet arguing tactic of "you didn't say it so you must support it") that it's a good system, but I doubt it's totally useless.

Having cd that can't just be copied stops a great deal of casual pirating... otherwise all it takes is some guys with an internet conection selling them at street corners... i know people that can barely operate a computer that have gotten pirated games... and then asked me to help them install the game, and not because of the crack, but the normal install process (no room on C, had no idea how to change it to D).

Which reminds me, stop buying pirated games at street corners...

On DRM of all sorts: If I know the product has DRM on it and yet I still want it, I will actually buy it, toss it somewhere and then download it because I want to have control over what I bought.

Music piracy is so rampant, only things like iTunes have managed to actually get people to buy it. Do they offer lossless formats by now though? That's the one thing that was always missing for me at least. You'd buy an mp3 with an inferior quality then a pirated one.

There are plenty of companies that make money giving their software away. They have found other ways to generate revenue from their work. Look at DDO for instance. They have doubled their profits since going 'free' than they were making previously. It costs me nothing to download their game, and costs me nothing to play. But somehow, DDO is now thriving on that model.
DDO is not an especially good example for either side of the piracy argument, because their decision to go "free2play, pay for schtuff" had more to do with having priced themselves out of the market. They were simply unable to compete on a value-level with games like WoW, and were not able to live up to the strength of their brand.

MMO piracy is relatively difficult because you need verified copies of the game to get access. Unlike regular PC games with SecureROM DRM, MMO pirate servers are one area where piracy usually does not provide any useability benefits, just cost.

People were simply not buying or playing DDO on the subscription model, because they didn't think the game was worth it. So they re-designed the game fairly severely to reduce grind and improve player experience, and used the new model as a kind of permanent demo to rope players in, after which they've been upselling everything from more features and classes to fully-featured paid subscription accounts.

In fact, their subscription model exploded when they re-released the game.

And it had nothing to do with piracy or anti-piracy, it was all re-building the value of the product. The increased "protection" from piracy by making the core game free in the first place is just a smart bonus.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Do they offer lossless formats by now though? That's the one thing that was always missing for me at least. You'd buy an mp3 with an inferior quality then a pirated one.
I don't think so. I think they just make the (bullshit) claim that it sounds as good, but I'm not up on my iTunes news.

figmentPez

Staff member
It is stealing, regardless of if it is criminally prosecutable theft. Legal statutes and criminal prosecution are not the sole benchmark for the application of words like steal, attack, theft, etc.
So when someone publishes a book that's in the public domain without paying the former copyright owned he's stealing it?! Because the legal status is the only difference there. [/quote]

So, is it your opinion that copyright laws sprang into existence out of nothing? That's the only conclusion I can draw from your statement that the law is the only difference. I whole heartedly disagree. Copyrights, and patents, trademarks, etc. exist because of the moral and ethical notions that a worker is entitled to profit from what he has created, even if that creation is non-material. The idea of pulbic domain is based around the idea that it is wrong to keep certain types of these non-material works from the public indefinitely. However, with copyright, the period of time where the creator, or his estate, has exclusive rights to his work generally extends for his entire life, plus an additional period.

That is the difference. A work under copyright gives the author the right to restict copies of their work. This right expires after a given period, after which the rights to copy the work is given over to the public. Arguments can be made that this is not a perfect system, and if one were to take the view that copyright should be held in perpetuity by the estate of the creator, then it would be stealing to infringe on that copyright, even if the law says it is acceptable. However, no video game has an expired copyright yet. The majority of games have one or all of their creators/copyright holders still alive. Is anyone going to argue that they don't hold a legal, moral and ethical right to control their creations?

You should also note I never said slander is assault. I said that slander is an attack, despite it not being assault. See the parallel?
Wow, talk about arguing over semantics... sheesh. Anyone have a time machine so i can go back and make sure the word attack doesn't have that connotation? :cool:
Yes, we are arguing about semantics. We are arguing about the meaning of words. Let me introduce a new word to the discussion: Larceny “the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods of another from his or her possession with intent to convert them to the taker's own use.” Piracy is not larceny because it is not theft of goods. However, theft of services is not larceny either, yet it is still theft. So we see that theft does not apply solely to the criminal charge of larceny. Furthermore, the language of such laws as “Artist's Rights and Theft Prevention Act of 2005” and the “No Electronic Theft (NET) Act of 1997” clearly show that copyright infringment can and is legally considered theft, and can hold criminal charges.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

That's a very big difference! Many musicians earn most of their money from concerts instead of sales, for instance.
That's interesting. I've heard the exact opposite from my musician friends. They say that smaller bands barely brake even concert tickets, and rely on the CD and merchandise sales generated by the concert to make money.

figmentPez

Staff member
Likewise, slander is NOT assault, or it would carry the same penalties as assault.
You're right, slander is not assault, but your following statement does not necessarily follow. For instance, until recently it could be said that "cyber-stalking is not stalking, or it would carry the same penalties"
I dunno about where you live, but here in Texas, cyberstalking carries the same penalties as stalking. They're the same crime. [/quote]

Only since 2001 when Texas passed the Stalking by Electronic Communications Act. Before that, and similar laws, were passed, there were many forms of electronic stalking that weren't considered crimes, were very difficult to prosecute, or weren't' treated with the same severity as other forms of stalking. The laws has to be updated to reflect new technology, because the crimes did not carry the same penalty, despite being very similar.

Take another example, upskirt photos. Before laws were passed in many states making it, and similar practices, illegal, it wasn't a crime at all. Photos taken in public spaces were all treated the same, regardless of the angle. Taking a picture up a woman's skirt wasn't treated the same way as getting a photo of her panties when she was in a changing room. However, that changed when laws were updated to reflect that, even in a public space, a woman has a reasonable expectation of privacy in regards to what she attempts to cover with a skirt or dress.

And thusly, the two crimes carry different penalties.
Does that mean you're finally admitting that copyright infringement is a crime? Because your denial that it is stealing seems to be an attempt to rationalize it as being acceptable behavior not worthy of being illegal.

So what's YOUR point?
My point is that piracy is stealing because it is taking what one does not have the right to. It doesn't matter if it doesn't deserve the same punishment. It doesn't even matter how much or how little harm was done. It is stealing by the definition of the word.

Now lets say I didn't have a car. I saw my neighbor's car, and decided to replicate it. Is that a crime? According to you, it is, because I've taken money from Chevrolet.
No, it's a crime according to me because you're taking the design worked on for hundreds, probably thousands of man-hours by Chevrolet employees, and using it without the right to, legally or ethically.

The only thing keeping the car industry in business is that making cars is hard, and costs money..so you're willing to pay large sums of money to have someone do it for you.
What about designing cars? Crash testing them? Those things take money as well. If it were perfectly acceptable to stick with the designs we have now and never make any innovations, then it wouldn't cost any money to produce cars were manufacturing taken out of the equation. However, if we want to improve on what we have, make something new and better, then it takes time and effort that can't be replicated by a magical duplicating machine. The question is, how will we as a society value that creative work. Will we declare it worthless and afford it no protection? Or will we give it the value it deserves, and provide legal protection for the creator?

The world would have to find another way to create the concept of wealth, if it could.
You mean by putting value in services rather than goods? Or by protecting the rights that artists, designers, engineers and inventors have had over their creative works, as patents, trademarks, copyright and more have afforded for centuries? You don't seem to know much about economics, or at least not be connecting the dots very well. I'm a total amateur and I'm seeing things from angles you're either missing or intentionally omitting.

Even if material goods were all cheap-as-free in any configuration, the design of those goods would still be of great value. It is up to us as society to decide if we value the works of artists, musicians, engineers, inventors and other creators enough to give them the control that they deserve.

The only thing holding back piracy now is law and ideology. The physical barriers have all been removed.
Well, it's a non-trvial thing to transmit multi-gigabyte movies and games, but we'll assume the infastrcutre and software necessary to do so is incidental to the issue. That said, law and ideology are all that are holding back any number of things. They're what makes the patent system work, and have been making it work since long before it was possible to copy someone else's work for gain. It's what makes the Berne convention work. Law and ideology have been protecting the work of artists for far longer than digital copying has been an issue. Just because it's cheaper than ever to make copies does not mean it's never been possible to see gain by copying someone else's work before.

Patent law has been protecting even 5 cent doodads for hundreds of years. The change in the issue is that now it's becoming as easy for individuals to infringe on copyright, and soon patents, with no investment, and no need to sell the result in order to see profit. But make no mistake, an individual who is infringing on a copyright or patent is profiting from their infringement, even if it's not a monetary profit. The future will see the best course of action, and what laws will be made to reflect this ease of individual copyright/patent violation, but it's a bigger issue than simply "the cat is out of the bag". Copyright and patent law have long stood the purpose of putting the cat back in the bag, as much as possible.

Now, you can say that piracy=theft, because it causes a "loss"..
No, I'll repeat myself again. Piracy is stealing because it is taking without permission or right. Period. Loss dosn't matter. Appropriate punishment doesn't matter. Piracy is stealing because it fits the definition of the word stealing.

Let's take a look at your magical car duplicator. For the sake of simplicity, let's assume that it only duplicates consumer cars. Not farm equipment, not buses, not planes.

First let's consider if the duplicator itself is expensive, but the duplicates are cheap-as-free. Say a major corporation duplicates cars from another company and sells them. Clearly illegal and likely worthy of criminal prosecution. Does that change if they de-brand the cars? Certainly not, just because they're not making counterfeit cars does not mean they're not committing other crimes.

Okay, what if the business that copies the de-branded cars doesn't sell them, but gives them as employee bonus. Nope, still patent infringement.

Next, what if the duplicator is cheap, but requires great skill to use? Can a duplicator savant make copies, or de-branded copies himself and sell them? No, still illegal patent infringement. Even if he makes the copies for personal use, it is still patent infringment, and he can be prosecuted for doing so.

So, why does it suddenly become acceptable to do so if the technology is cheap enough for everyone to do it? Why should we ignore the protections of patent law simply because violation is easy?

The business model of "I have something that is scarce, so you must pay me if you want it" no longer works in today's world in digital media--because these things are no longer scarce!
Yes, those things are still scarce. You may be able to make unlimited copies of music for cheap-as-free, but the creation of the original work is still a rare thing. Be it an artist or an engineer, the creative works made by them are scarce, no matter how easily they can be copied. That is the important thing to remember. Just because something can be copied cheaply does not mean we have to treat it as worthless.

There are plenty of companies that make money giving their software away. They have found other ways to generate revenue from their work. Look at DDO for instance. They have doubled their profits since going 'free' than they were making previously. It costs me nothing to download their game, and costs me nothing to play. But somehow, DDO is now thriving on that model.
Would they still be making money if other people could run servers freely? What if whatever advertising they use could be bypassed? What if the paid extras could be distributed for free? Just because you can play it for free doesn't mean that unlimited copying of their intellectual property would be a good thing for DDO.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Exactly. I think i've made the point clearly enough. However, it's to his benefit and bolsters his point if he can make us agree on the point that "Piracy=Theft", when clearly it isn't.
Piracy is stealing.

Stealing: 1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, esp. secretly or by force
2.to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment.

To take without right is stealing. Those who pirate are taking what they do not have the right to have.

That's interesting. I've heard the exact opposite from my musician friends. They say that smaller bands barely brake even concert tickets, and rely on the CD and merchandise sales generated by the concert to make money.
I don't know, that's what I hear around here. Maybe the scene is different in the States. Also, I don't know if 'concerts' includes all profit, direct or indirect (i.e. CD's recorded and sold by them, shirts, whatever). I DO know that in most cases anything will be more than the laughable amount they get from published CD's if they have any.

figmentPez

Staff member
I theorize that if everyone had a replicator and would never need to buy anything, then there would be no *need* for economy. Creators would create just to get their creation out there, not for monetary gain or means of survival.
And, yet, we still live in a world where electronic information can be copied infinitely, but we still do have a need for economy. Creators cannot just create, without any thought for survival. In a world where an individual's work still needs to go towards support of their own life, how do we value the creative works of artists, musicians, engineers, inventors and more? Do we declare their works worthless? Or to have intrinsic value worthy of protection and monetary value?

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

I don't know, that's what I hear around here. Maybe the scene is different in the States. Also, I don't know if 'concerts' includes all profit, direct or indirect (i.e. CD's recorded and sold by them, shirts, whatever). I DO know that in most cases anything will be more than the laughable amount they get from published CD's if they have any.
Yeah, I've heard the same complaints about record deals.

Anyway, another issue. Why should concerts be the only way for a band to make money off of their music? What if a musician makes wonderful music, but isn't able to do a concert tour due to health reasons? Should we say that they have no right to make money off of their work simply because it's easy to copy their work without permission? Is that really an ethical thing to do? "I'm sorry, I'd have paid money to see you in person, but since you're to sick for the rigors of touring, I'm just going to download your music for free and say 'screw you'"

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

People should read up on 'Commodification'. An mp3 file is a commodity. It doesn't matter who you get it from: Limewire, iTunes, RIAA, playlist.com whoever.
A copy of a specific MP3 is equivalent to any other exacty copy of that same MP3, but not all MP3s are the same. An MP3 of an air raid siren going off is not the same as the latest top-40 hit, is not the same as the latest indie rock single. If we the devalue creative work of an artist by saying it is not worthy of being protected by copyright, that is a sad thing. It shouldn't matter how easy it is to copy the work, what should matter is that creative works are valued enough to be given as much protection as possible and allow the artist to control the distribution.

As to your "loosing money to piracy is just a failed business model". How is that different from "loosing money to a rival factory practicing patent infringment is just a failed business model"? Why should it matter if it's a whole lot of individuals breaking copyright, or a large corporation doing the same thing? Does a creative work have worth, or does it not? That is the question. If we are going to protect creative works from being exploited for commercial gain, then there should be reasonable protections about them being exploited for personal gain as well.

Pez,

So, using the car example, your contention is that designers and the like will no longer get paid, and therefore no longer create cars?

We're talking about content creators here, now...so, we're no longer talking about manufacturers/publishers. That's fine.

Lets go back in time a bit..to the Enlightenment era. During this time, there were no copy protections like we know today, and musicians didn't get rich selling CDs. And yet, that same era was responsible for such musicians as Bach, Mozart, and Handel, some of the greatest names of classical music. Content creators found other ways to make a living than selling cd's.

Even today, content is created for free. Check out the whole open source and free software movements, as only one example.

The modern method of revenue generation for 'intellectual property' is a new phenomenon. The business model is failing, and will continue to fail. I submit that the business model itself is flawed in today's digital reality. Businesses will have to tweak those models to meet the new reality, and many are doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.