Paranoia Treatment

I'm no licensed medical professional, but laying off stimulants/getting more sleep are two things that will reduce paranoic triggers.
Aside from that, I don't know if there are treatments/diagnostics available (for things like insufficient oxytocin, I guess) that may give you answers.

--Patrick

I have it on good authority that keeping a set of human teeth in your desk drawer will worry those that are after you enough that they will seek other targets.

To be honest, though, what little paranoia I experience is dealt with by recognizing when I'm performing an action that is due to paranoia, and logically analyzing the reasoning, if there is any, behind the paranoia, and then discarding it if any of the following are true:

- it is impeding other important activities
- has no logical basis
- if the outcome of the situation won't change

I also try to cultivate a sense of worthlessness (perhaps modesty is better) to ground myself in reality.

What is special about me that would cause anyone a desire to 'get' me? The government has no interest in me except in that I keep working, pay taxes, and consume services. I have no military applications that I'm aware of. I don't have the keys to unraveling the Russian communications system, or subverting the next big terrorist plot. Amway doesn't have a secret agenda, a front for an organization tasked with removing middle class Mormon engineers from the gene pool.

I sometimes wonder if paranoia is a reaction to a feeling of not receiving attention from others. A way for my mind to make me feel relevant and useful. Surround yourself with friends and family that you trust implicitly, see if that reduces your feelings of paranoia. If it does, then start performing little acts of service for them regularly. You'll soon find yourself needed and wanted, and those acts will be reciprocated by most.

I've also been figuring out if something is paranoia or anxiety, and find more often than not that it's anxiety that's driving certain actions I take, and not paranoia. Recognizing exactly what it is that's bothering me and why, and categorizing things has helped me figure out better ways to deal with them.

But then as privileged as I am in our society, there's little reason for me to be paranoid. Were I black, or female, or poor, or, or, or, I expect I'd not only feel more paranoid, but have good reason to be paranoid and actively alter my behavior to reduce risk.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have it on good authority that keeping a set of human teeth in your desk drawer will worry those that are after you enough that they will seek other targets.
The Gas Bandit. Now a recognized Good* Authority**.

*"Good" is a measure of quality and not moral alignment
** Only pertaining to matters involving the storage and unconventional use of human teeth.

GasBandit

Staff member
I did keep two of my wisdom teeth, it does seem to put people off a bit.
I wish I had kept my first bicuspids when I had them removed as a teenager. But I did keep my wisdom teeth.

It sounds like so much when you say "I've had eight teeth removed."

The Gas Bandit. Now a recognized Good* Authority**.

*"Good" is a measure of quality and not moral alignment
** Only pertaining to matters involving the storage and unconventional use of human teeth.
I thought you were the forum's authority on unconventional use of human teeth.