[MMO] Pantheon - Everquest Spiritual Sequel

So I was looking at some videos about Everquest the other day, and came across this:

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

I say it's an EverQuest spiritual sequel as it's run by Brad, and if you look at it's FAQ page it looks like it's trying to be as old-school EverQuest as possible, but trying really hard to say "yes you'll appreciate the environment a lot, and yes there will be downtime, but we promise it won't be grind-y!" Their classes are almost (if not exactly) 1-to-1 with launch EQ1, and they even outright SAY in their FAQ that groups will require crowd control. So spin up your Enchanters everybody!

Personally, I wish them well. I'll try a free trial (they claim they'll have one) but I'm super-wary of what this may be. But it may be awesome too. I don't know.

Anybody else heard anything about the game? I know basically nothing beyond what their webpage says. At least their webpage is pretty good with a good FAQ, unlike most games' webpages which tell you near-nothing.

Dave

Staff member
Jesus christ. I looked at the site and while it looks great they really, REALLY want people to pay for this thing. Check out their Pledge page. $15 a month to access their forums?!? (Free for read only, $5 a month for "normal access", and $15 a month to have access to a super secret forum as well as the normal, plebeian one.)

No thanks. I might buy the game when it comes out to try it, but holy hell.

Jesus christ. I looked at the site and while it looks great they really, REALLY want people to pay for this thing. Check out their Pledge page. $15 a month to access their forums?!? (Free for read only, $5 a month for "normal access", and $15 a month to have access to a super secret forum as well as the normal, plebeian one.)

Yeah $15 is way too much, we're only $5 a month for our super secret forums that we only tell the cool people about.[DOUBLEPOST=1495808282,1495808239][/DOUBLEPOST]Shit! I'm not supposed to mention the secret forums on the free one am I? Disregard that last post!

I'll just find the Reddit subforum.

Yeah $15 is way too much, we're only $5 a month for our super secret forums that we only tell the cool people about.[DOUBLEPOST=1495808282,1495808239][/DOUBLEPOST]Shit! I'm not supposed to mention the secret forums on the free one am I? Disregard that last post!
Man, us Europeans really get gipped by the exchange rates the admins impose. Bunch of jackasses.

If you paid an extra $5 more a month you could edit or delete your post!

Ya the "we're poor and need money" thing is "a thing" to be sure. As I said though, reading through the FAQ with the mindset of "they're trying to re-make EQ" is the part I found most... chagrin-inducing? I dunno, a weird feeling that I have problems putting into words.

Even more interesting is that when I did the original post I had missed that while their "class matrix" (they do NOT have any race any class) has Bard and Necro, their FAQ clearly states how they will be "post-launch" at some point. But other than that, 1-1 with EQ launch classes (they had to rename Shadowknight apparently).

Subscribe to Halforums Gold® to view this reply

GasBandit

Staff member
The part about Everquest I DIDN'T like was the "spirit!" IE, the underlying decisions that led to the implementation of what it meant to be "playing" everquest. It was everything else - and the people I met there - that kept me there 2 years longer than I would have otherwise!

I'll never "camp a spawn" again. And I'm DONE losing a week's worth of exp for a single death. I am no longer fooled into thinking treadmills are games.

Matter of fact, I think I've been done with MMOs in general for a while.

/Woke as Fuck

My husband and I would be dicks and clear out the halls of Lower Guk duo with my bard and his cleric and only let people camping a room have their room. It was glorious. And we let people sitting in the safe hall join us, and then they would decline their group invite when the group they were waiting for had room.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
My husband and I would be dicks and clear out the halls of Lower Guk duo with my card and his cleric and only let people camping a room have their room. It was glorious. And we let people sitting in the safe hall join us, and then they would decline their group invite when the group they were waiting for had room.
I played on Rallos Zek. Added a bit of a new edge to how it gets decided who gets to camp which spawn :p

Edit: which was actually awful, given that you could take other player's stuff when you killed them. How long did you camp that FBSS? Because it took me 30 seconds to kill you and rip it off your corpse.

I played on Rallos Zek. Added a bit of a new edge to how it gets decided who gets to camp which spawn :p

Edit: which was actually awful, given that you could take other player's stuff when you killed them. How long did you camp that FBSS? Because it took me 30 seconds to kill you and rip it off your corpse.
I am 100% not surprised you played on a Zek server. You're definitely fulfilling your stereotype there Gas.

I was a Magician on The Tribunal.

I could never get my husband(then boyfriend) to play on a PvP server.

But that reminds me of another funny story in which my husband spent so much time killing the NPC druids at the portal spots that his faction bugged and rolled over, so when Plane of Growth was added, he could run around it and Tunare loved him.

GasBandit

Staff member
I could never get my husband(then boyfriend) to play on a PvP server.

But that reminds me of another funny story in which my husband spent so much time killing the NPC druids at the portal spots that his faction bugged and rolled over, so when Plane of Growth was added, he could run around it and Tunare loved him.
Pauline and I had halfling druids and never fucked up our faction, so we were able to run around PoG at will :D In fact, we toyed with the idea of killing and looting people trying to do PoG runs, because we could then hide behind the locals from their retribution. Never ended up doing it... but Plane of Growth is where those druids ended up staying. We camped them out there, and that was the last time we played.

(POG is also where I went to experiment with speedhacking, since I could be assured of privacy there. Your character's running speed was a variable in client side memory! I was able to find it using a memory scanner, and that was also how I discovered it was possible to take "falling damage" from running into a wall sideways at hax-speed).

Pauline and I had halfling druids and never fucked up our faction, so we were able to run around PoG at will :D In fact, we toyed with the idea of killing and looting people trying to do PoG runs, because we could then hide behind the locals from their retribution. Never ended up doing it... but Plane of Growth is where those druids ended up staying. We camped them out there, and that was the last time we played.

(POG is also where I went to experiment with speedhacking, since I could be assured of privacy there. Your character's running speed was a variable in client side memory! I was able to find it using a memory scanner, and that was also how I discovered it was possible to take "falling damage" from running into a wall sideways at hax-speed).
By the time we quit, my husband was hacking the shit out of the game. He had his cleric set up on a second account and fully scripted to heal at certain health percentages and when it received a whisper telling it to heal.

GasBandit

Staff member
By the time we quit, my husband was hacking the shit out of the game. He had his cleric set up on a second account and fully scripted to heal at certain health percentages and when it received a whisper telling it to heal.
Remember "/gems?"

"DAMMIT CLERIC STOP PLAYING GEMS AND PAY ATTENTION"