[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

I think some of the most fun I've had with OW so far was the all-76 Brawl week, or the Random Hero Pick Brawl. People don't take things too seriously and just joke around/have a ball with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think some of the most fun I've had with OW so far was the all-76 Brawl week, or the Random Hero Pick Brawl. People don't take things too seriously and just joke around/have a ball with it.
The all-76 brawl was a damn hoot to be sure.

But the all Phamercy brawl was an absolute shitshow.

When I play the game, win or lose, I smile at the end of every brawl because it's just so fun to do something weird and different. Practicing McCree for instant in the latest one.

When I play Quick Play, I feel good winning, but even though I don't feel great losing, I say "GG" and get ready for the next game, because it was fun, even if I lost.

When I play Competitive, every loss stings. I watch my rank drop, I know all the other members of the team dropped. I feel like the next game isn't about enjoyment, it's about "getting back what I lost", which makes the next game more tense and frustrating if another roadblock is hit. Now if I had a comparatively good feeling when I won, it wouldn't be so bad, but I get no more joy winning a competitive game as I do a QP game or a brawl game, so all I am doing is adding anger to my games by focusing on competitive, it's just not worth it to me right now.

Maybe another day, or season, but just not right now.

My only problem with quick play now is that competitive has ruined the quick play matchmaking. I liked the casual atmosphere but it was still nice to play with and against competent players. Now it seems like everyone is using quick play to try out new heroes or because they are new. Hopping in quick play to practice on Ana or group with a friend is an exercise in not worrying about the objective and just focusing on my own play. Which is fine, but I enjoy playing as a team.[DOUBLEPOST=1469722141,1469722012][/DOUBLEPOST]As much as I bitched this morning about being rank 38 I would still rather compete.

Reactions: Dei
I didn't get to play that one, but yeah I can imagine it was a mess of explosions and endless HEROES NEVER DIE.
Some of them, like Super Shimada Bros, are just experiments in how long you can hold out before you go crazy. Personally, I like all the ones that involves at least 3 heros or more. That extra hero in the mix gives enough variety that you don't feel like it's just tons of Genji's jumping around with a random Hanzo, or dozens of Pharah's flying and missing each other all over the place (and then when some finally dies, the one or two Mercy players on the team just ress them). They really should focus on the more diverse brawls. One of my favorites is the all support Brawl. I learned a LOT about Mercy in that one by playing her more offensively.

Some of them, like Super Shimada Bros, are just experiments in how long you can hold out before you go crazy. Personally, I like all the ones that involves at least 3 heros or more. That extra hero in the mix gives enough variety that you don't feel like it's just tons of Genji's jumping around with a random Hanzo, or dozens of Pharah's flying and missing each other all over the place (and then when some finally dies, the one or two Mercy players on the team just ress them). They really should focus on the more diverse brawls. One of my favorites is the all support Brawl. I learned a LOT about Mercy in that one by playing her more offensively.
Yeah Shimada Bros is not a good one. Genji counters Hanzo pretty hard and once he gets up in Hanzo's face it's game over. Low Ult charge rate makes it even worse for Hanzo.

My only problem with quick play now is that competitive has ruined the quick play matchmaking. I liked the casual atmosphere but it was still nice to play with and against competent players. Now it seems like everyone is using quick play to try out new heroes or because they are new. Hopping in quick play to practice on Ana or group with a friend is an exercise in not worrying about the objective and just focusing on my own play. Which is fine, but I enjoy playing as a team.[DOUBLEPOST=1469722141,1469722012][/DOUBLEPOST]As much as I bitched this morning about being rank 38 I would still rather compete.
You don't get serious games all the time in QP, but I would argue you don't always get that in competitive either. Unless you have a full group, solo queue can be a real shit show, even more so when a lot of people in our team talk on a private vent and leave out the randos from all dialog. If I had to choose between dealing with people that don't take the game seriously in a format that loses me ranking, or a format that loses me nothing, I just prefer the latter, but that is just me.

This is the first MPFPS I have enjoyed in 10 years, but I enjoy it for my own reasons that never meshed well with competitive sensibilities.

The all-supports brawl was pretty fun, but it definitely further illustrated that Symmetra belongs in the "Defense" category and not "support."
Yeah she is sorely mis-classified. From what I've read she's also the only current hero to have a zero pick rate in ranked. I guess the only other character even close to that is Mei.

You don't get serious games all the time in QP, but I would argue you don't always get that in competitive either. Unless you have a full group, solo queue can be a real shit show, even more so when a lot of people in our team talk on a private vent and leave out the randos from all dialog. If I had to choose between dealing with people that don't take the game seriously in a format that loses me ranking, or a format that loses me nothing, I just prefer the latter, but that is just me.

This is the first MPFPS I have enjoyed in 10 years, but I enjoy it for my own reasons that never meshed well with competitive sensibilities.
I agree that we should probably be in group chat in competitive.

I've been running into a lot of Mei's in competitive lately.
I'd have to look up the post I read about the whole thing, but reddit's blocked at work so I can't. Basically with the exception of Junkrat most Defense heroes and Symmetra are almost completely ignored in favor of the 2 tank/2 support/2 DPS meta according to the data this guy put together.

It's fine, we don't have to agree. Snuffles, Terrik, and I can play comp and the rest can QP.
I like playing with you guys, so I wouldn't mind doing competitive now and then, but I think I need to be in the mindset, and with my video in the works it's just hard to get that edge I need. I am going to be more of a determent when I feel a bubbling rage every time something goes wrong. ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
It's fine, we don't have to agree. Snuffles, Terrik, and I can play comp and the rest can QP.
hf2.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1469724157,1469724094][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd have to look up the post I read about the whole thing, but reddit's blocked at work so I can't. Basically with the exception of Junkrat most Defense heroes and Symmetra are almost completely ignored in favor of the 2 tank/2 support/2 DPS meta according to the data this guy put together.
I can DEFINITELY say almost every single competitive match I'm in has a junkrat.

I like playing with you guys, so I wouldn't mind doing competitive now and then, but I think I need to be in the mindset, and with my video in the works it's just hard to get that edge I need. I am going to be more of a determent when I feel a bubbling rage every time something goes wrong. ;)
Definitely. Your Rein is much better than mine.

I mean, Junkrat's one of my favorite characters so I use him pretty often.

I'm hoping to get some time on Ana but the hype to try her out hadn't really died out last time I logged in and I didn't want to be that fucking guy that picks the second/third of the same character.[DOUBLEPOST=1469724460,1469724401][/DOUBLEPOST]
That must get... tiring. :csi:
I play him enough that my brother shouts STOP THAT from the other room when I start using the Happy Birthday~ quote.

GasBandit

Staff member
I hate Reihnhart on the KOTH point more than most anything else. Stupid hammers.
I swear that hammer has an extending haft that makes it grow 6 feet longer whenever I'm trying to sprint away from a Reinhardt.

Or, I guess, more likely, the server's just lying about lag as usual.

I guess one thing I wouldn't mind trying in competitive is my Zenyatta. He was one of my favorites back in beta, but after his nerfs he became too much of a determent. Now though after the recent buffs, any time I pull him out in QP my team almost always win, because he brings just too much high damage with great group utility. The issue, is he still does not work as a dedicated healer, the stomp groups still require either a Lucio or Mercy to really shine, but the games where the team sees me playing Zenyatta and so no one else picks a pure heal support have a much lower chance of success, but they still always end in super close calls.

Zenyatta has to be treated more as an offensive character, he shines when someone else can do the pure healing. Zenyatta and Mercy is actually really good, since the Zen can keep the orb on Mercy while she does the grunt work on the rest of the group. Mercy can't heal herself unless out of combat, so the extra orb heals increase her survival greatly.

I guess one thing I wouldn't mind trying in competitive is my Zenyatta. He was one of my favorites back in beta, but after his nerfs he became too much of a determent. Now though after the recent buffs, any time I pull him out in QP my team almost always win, because he brings just too much high damage with great group utility. The issue, is he still does not work as a dedicated healer, the stomp groups still require either a Lucio or Mercy to really shine, but the games where the team sees me playing Zenyatta and so no one else picks a pure heal support have a much lower chance of success, but they still always end in super close calls.

Zenyatta has to be treated more as an offensive character, he shines when someone else can do the pure healing. Zenyatta and Mercy is actually really good, since the Zen can keep the orb on Mercy while she does the grunt work on the rest of the group. Mercy can't heal herself unless out of combat, so the extra orb heals increase her survival greatly.
Zen + Lucio/Mercy/Ana are all winners right now in competitive. He's in most of the games I've seen recently.

I'm surprised Lucio isn't in every game. He's the only non-cooldown AOE heal.
Also until this week I didn't know that the S76 ult can't headshot.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm surprised Lucio isn't in every game. He's the only non-cooldown AOE heal.
Also until this week I didn't know that the S76 ult can't headshot.

--Patrick
He's in most games I play, I notice. His ultimate often means his enemy's ultimates get nullified. Especially 76's, because, yes, Tac visor doesn't headshot. I noticed that, too, a couple weeks ago - how my tac visor was taking as long to kill mercy as it usually took me to kill roadhog manually - because of the difference with headshots.