[Music] our national nightmare is over: Taylor Swift has dropped new music video, album Oct 27th

That song is sleepy time for naps, and sounds too much like music made for toddler TV shows or something. Not even starting the problematic body image type stuff in there too[DOUBLEPOST=1410410683,1410410326][/DOUBLEPOST]
That song is sleepy time for naps, and sounds too much like music made for toddler TV shows or something. Not even starting the problematic body image type stuff in there too
wait, no, n/m, I can't resist, I'm starting:

http://feministing.com/2014/08/06/w...-anthem-all-about-that-bass-is-disappointing/

It's also really gross that she has all her positive body stuff coached in what men want.

Yup! And it's a great video.

After listening to the album probably a couple dozen times since it came out (not exaggerating!), Shake It Off might actually be the worst song on the album (but I still like it).

I don't care for Taylor Swift. I don't invest the hatred others have for her, but I don't like her. If it's on the radio, I'll turn it off. I'll complain (good naturedly) if other people play her music. But I ... get it? I guess? I get that most of her music appeals to a particular demographic where the experiences might be very similar. Pining after a boy, feeling like the girl not there, etc.

Shake it Off sucks, not just because I don't like it, but because it's entirely about Taylor Swift, not relatable at all. No one but a celebrity has 'haters'. She is spitting back at the people who tell her she dates too much, etc. etc. These are problems Taylor Swift has, and I don't get that. That's not unifying, that's not appealing, that doesn't draw people in. I mean, it does, obviously, but... It fucking shouldn't?

I don't care for Taylor Swift. I don't invest the hatred others have for her, but I don't like her. If it's on the radio, I'll turn it off. I'll complain (good naturedly) if other people play her music. But I ... get it? I guess? I get that most of her music appeals to a particular demographic where the experiences might be very similar. Pining after a boy, feeling like the girl not there, etc.

Shake it Off sucks, not just because I don't like it, but because it's entirely about Taylor Swift, not relatable at all. No one but a celebrity has 'haters'. She is spitting back at the people who tell her she dates too much, etc. etc. These are problems Taylor Swift has, and I don't get that. That's not unifying, that's not appealing, that doesn't draw people in. I mean, it does, obviously, but... It fucking shouldn't?
Well, here's the thing with Taylor Swift. I would say she's a very talented songwriter, and while most of her stuff is very poppy and outside of my range of taste (though I did like Shake if Off, aside from the horrible 'cheer' breakdown in the middle, ugh) it is at least well written. But where she's constrained as an artist is that she writes solely in her comfort zone, and really only writes about her experiences. Which is what got her famous to start with, writing songs about being a normal teenage girl with normal teenage problems, which made lots of normal teenagers connect with her. But she's none of those things anymore, and now writes songs about being a celebrity and playing up the swift lovelife stereotype that's been applied to her.

Well, here's the thing with Taylor Swift. I would say she's a very talented songwriter, and while most of her stuff is very poppy and outside of my range of taste (though I did like Shake if Off, aside from the horrible 'cheer' breakdown in the middle, ugh) it is at least well written. But where she's constrained as an artist is that she writes solely in her comfort zone, and really only writes about her experiences. Which is what got her famous to start with, writing songs about being a normal teenage girl with normal teenage problems, which made lots of normal teenagers connect with her. But she's none of those things anymore, and now writes songs about being a celebrity and playing up the swift lovelife stereotype that's been applied to her.
I mean, I guess we agree about her songs, but not about what's good about them? Because the thing you're explaining about Shake It Off is correct, but it's also exactly why I loathe it, versus her other songs, which I just don't care for.

I tried listening to the latest one and it just sounds like every other pop song to me. Lyrics are less important to me than music and I really only get into a song's lyrics if I already like the music. In some cases I've listened to songs for years and have no idea what they're saying. This is the main reason most pop songs just go in one ear and out the other for me; they largely sound the same. I think the only popular stuff I've gotten into in the last few years has been Marina and the Diamonds and Florence and the Machine, which both sound different from other stuff, and surprise surprise, neither is American. Because I can't seem to find a single American musician I like besides Tori Amos. Classic rock--the ones I listen to, those are European. The metal I listen to, all European bands. Even the orchestral stuff is from Japan.

So I have no idea why Blank Space is good and her other songs aren't, because I'm not hearing the difference.

"Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream"

"to the fella over there
with the hella good hair
why don't you come on on over here
and we can shake, shake, shake"

I'm resisting the urge to do a much more detailed breakdown, but I think just juxtaposing those kind of makes my point?

also re: @Chad Sexington - I think more people THINK and HOPE they're more like Taylor Swift than they really are - hence liking her seemingly foreign(to you) lyrics. I mean, I found meaning in it for the general idea of "everyone else is going to do what they do no matter what. So just be yourself".[DOUBLEPOST=1415882995,1415882629][/DOUBLEPOST]
"Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream"

"to the fella over there
with the hella good hair
why don't you come on on over here
and we can shake, shake, shake"

I'm resisting the urge to do a much more detailed breakdown, but I think just juxtaposing those kind of makes my point?

also re: @Chad Sexington - I think more people THINK and HOPE they're more like Taylor Swift than they really are - hence liking her seemingly foreign(to you) lyrics. I mean, I found meaning in it for the general idea of "everyone else is going to do what they do no matter what. So just be yourself".

edit: one more thing regarding her lyrics - she's released an album every two years like clockwork - written when she was: 16, 18, 20, 22 (with the song 22 duh), and 24. You can chart the progressions of her maturing (compare "Picture to Burn" to "Better Than Revenge", or "Mean" to "Shake it Off"), and her experiences changing (the first album mentions high school, then never again). She moves from country's somewhat humble/poorer trappings (she's in a pickup truck and slams a screen door in "Our Song") to the nouveau rich ("New money / suit and tie / I can read you like a magazine").

I mean, I guess we agree about her songs, but not about what's good about them? Because the thing you're explaining about Shake It Off is correct, but it's also exactly why I loathe it, versus her other songs, which I just don't care for.
Oh no, I was agreeing completely with you. Those aren't reasons that I like Shake It Off, they're reasons that I find her music weak. My like of Shake It Off is in spite of that.

I think a lot of why I like this is because its her poking fun at her criticisms as opposed to just complaining about them.

No one but a celebrity has 'haters'.
This part really confuses me. I've heard plenty of complaints from normal people about bosses/co-workers who qualify as 'haters', other times it's family members, and then there's the rampant bullying in schools. There's plenty of hating to go around.

This part really confuses me. I've heard plenty of complaints from normal people about bosses/co-workers who qualify as 'haters', other times it's family members, and then there's the rampant bullying in schools. There's plenty of hating to go around.
My understanding is a 'hater' is someone who spends their free time shitting on someone they don't know for some perceived character flaw, like Taylor Swift's supposed inability to have a long relationship.

My understanding is a 'hater' is someone who spends their free time shitting on someone they don't know for some perceived character flaw, like Taylor Swift's supposed inability to have a long relationship.
Ah, as far as I know, there's no requirement for the "they don't know the person" part, which would explain the difference in meaning people can take away from it. The joys of slang usage.

Oh hey is it too late to post stuff here?
Guess not.

Hang on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride...

Class of animation students each get 52 frames to animate. Some of them go a little further than others.

--Patrick