Open Document Reader for Android

figmentPez

Staff member
I do most of my word processing in OpenOffice (though I may switch to LibreOffice) so most of my documents are *.odt format. This is fine if I'm on my desktop or my netbook, but even though I can get to the files via Dropbox on my phone, I don't have a program to open them.

Can anyone suggest a program for Android that can read OpenOffice / LibreOffice documents?

figmentPez

Staff member
Why don't you set OpenOffice defaults to .doc and .xls files, etc.?
I hadn't thought of that, and would prefer not to. I've hated Microsoft standards ever since "designed for IE" was a logo on webpages, and all sorts of financial and educational sites refused to support Firefox and other browsers, for no good reason. I think I'd switch over to using Google Drive instead of OpenOffice before I'd start saving personal work in *.doc on a regular basis.

figmentPez

Staff member
If you refuse to work in the industry standard filetype, you can pretty much expect most things not to support it.
Funny, that logic didn't apply to Internet Explorer when it failed to support official industry standards by intentionally misrendering HTML.

Well, you were presented with a simple solution, but refuse to take it due to some ridiculous idealistic notion that you're "sticking it to the man". Have fun with that. I can understand not liking office and refusing to support them financially, but refusing to use the file format just because you don't like Microsoft is kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, you were presented with a simple solution, but refuse to take it due to some ridiculous idealistic notion that you're "sticking it to the man". Have fun with that. I can understand not liking office and refusing to support them financially, but refusing to use the file format just because you don't like Microsoft is kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Wow, you're quick to turn "I am reluctant" into "I outright refuse". I'm looking for an option that allows me to do what I want. If I can find a program to read *.odt files on Android, I can keep on with how things have run fine for me for years. I can also drop the *.odt format and still avoid *.doc by moving over to Google Drive instead of Open Office. If I find I don't like Google Drive, and I still can't find the right reader, I'll switch to *.doc. I am just looking for alternatives so I don't have to.

Silly me, expecting an easy way for an open source operating system to be able to read an open document standard. I mean, it can already play open audio standards, like Ogg and FLAC, and there are even players that can handle open video standards like Theora. Heck, there are programs that can read ODT files, I'm just asking if anyone has experience on which ones are the best, or which ones I should be able to trust at all.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oops, I was sort of wrong. Google Docs can open convert ODT files, but it's not the default action for a file on Google Drive. The default action is to use the Google Drive Viewer to attempt to open the file, which results in nothing. Going around that default, and telling the system to open the document in Google Docs converts the file, resulting in a copy in Google's file format.[DOUBLEPOST=1382547110,1382547075][/DOUBLEPOST]
The one I linked says it can.
And, again, that's from a publisher I know nothing about. Do you know this publisher / do you know if I can trust the software?

GasBandit

Staff member
And, again, that's from a publisher I know nothing about. Do you know this publisher / do you know if I can trust the software?
I haven't used it personally, but if I had your needs, I would deem it acceptable to try, given that it is:
1) On the Play store itself, not an unscrutinized APK
2) at a 4.0 rating with over 2700 reviews.
3) its permissions requirements are slim and benign:

Your location (approximate location (network-based))
Network communication (full network access, view network connections)
Phone calls (read phone status and identity)

Only caveat is it is ad supported.

GasBandit

Staff member
That is frustrating. My experience is that ad supported apps suck my battery like crazy.
That has been my experience as well. I mitigated this by:

1) rooting and installing an adblocker on my phone, and
2) my tablet is a Nexus 7, which has astonishing battery life (I tested it by streaming Transformers 3 in 720p on repeat from the Play Movies section.. tablet lasted 7 hours of that from full charge to screaming about imminent power loss).

At any rate, it's your call. There are options out there, it's just a factor of where you're willing to take your lumps - in your wallet, or your battery life. My job here is done.

Open Document isn't the standard. Would that it were, but it is not.
Totally off-topic: thank you for using the subjunctive mood; I have been engaged in a months-long silly debate about whether or not people still use it in English, and I can point to this as one more example that they do. Lovely.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread.