[Question] Oh, balls. Malware detection/deletion

I think my colleague's computer has some less-than great sneaky files on it. What're my best options?

Working on Windows 7 64bit

MSE says no threats are detected, but she's getting a pop up near the start menu that says "Backup your computer now for free!" and there are few things in the task manager that are unkillable: they just start up again when ended.

GasBandit

Staff member
Malwarebytes. A lot of these "ad pop up" things aren't technically classified as viruses and virus scanners like MSE, AVG and the rest may not catch them (plus new ones come out every day). Malwarebytes is pretty good at ferreting out this stuff though.

Another vote for MalwareBytes as your first go-to solution.
HijackThis is another extremely competent tool, but it has a startlingly steep learning curve.

--Patrick

CCleaner (not to be confused with Carbon Copy Cloner) is useful for getting rid of registry entries that don't point to anything any more, or for removing things you don't want it to point to any more. But I wouldn't really call it an antimalware solution.

--Patrick

Would nuking the site from orbit be a valid backup plan?

And by nuking the site I mean reformatting and reinstalling.

Or you could nuke it.

@Chad Sexington your "colleague's" PC? Really? :troll:
Really. I'm the 'boss' in the office, and really I could just call up IT but opening a ticket and getting them to fix things takes forever, and I'm generally tech savvy enough to solve most problems. So I did what I could, consulted y'all, which helped me fine 108 objects with Malwarebytes; uninstalled a handful of toolbars, etc, and her comp seems fine now.

Thanks to all!

Tell her not to download attachments, even if they do say they have pictures of Ryan Gosling naked :p
I think it was actually the person who used the computer previous to her, but... Given her Ryan Gosling love, I am definitely going to leave that as a note on her desk!