Export thread

Official TF2/L4D2 Thread!

Dave

Dave

Okay, we now have a dedicated TF2/L4D2 server, so this is where we'll discuss it.

TF2/L4D2/CS
These are all on the same server so your ability to play on them will depend on which game it is set for on that day. Schedules are currently being discussed.
L4D2-TF2 INFO.PNG

In this thread, please let us know which maps you want to see, addons you'd like (if any), as well as what type of gaming events you'd like us to put on.

Right now the maps are:

Steel (CP)
2Fort (CTF)
Viaduct (KOTH)
Badwater Basin (PL)
Badlands (CP)
Sawmill (KOTH)
Doublecross (CTF)
Granary (CP)
Hoodoo (PL)
Turbine (CTF)
Harvest (KOTH)
Warmfront (CP)

We have almost 0 addons at this point, although we did set up Alltalk, so if you hit the 'v' key in-game you can talk to anyone from either team. Now, if we are all using Vent server that might not necessarily be something we have to have, but this is the thread to discuss it.

So let's hear your ideas!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

No Havest? Well that's good to keep me from feeling the urge.... but Sawmill is nice....

Mathias

Mathias

2fort

Dave

Dave

pl_2fort or ctf_2fort?

Jay

Jay

cttf

2 fort for sure.

Dave

Dave

Added. Rotation is now:

2Fort (CTF)
Badwater Basin (PL)
Badlands (CP)
Doublecross (CTF)
Sawmill (KOTH)
Steel (CP)
Turbine (CTF)

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Harvest.

Dave

Dave

Please when you ask for a server let me know what type of server it is. CP, CTF, etc.

Wahad

Wahad

Harvest would be koth_harvest, if I remember correctly.

Covar

Covar

Harvest would be koth_harvest, if I remember correctly.
koth_harvest_final or koth_harvest_event if you want to run the halloween event.

Dave

Dave

koth_harvest has been added at the end of the rotation. I'm going to hold off on the halloween event or ant special events right now.

Dave

Dave

How do you guys feel about team balancing? Is it annoying or is it something we have to have? Right now it's turned off.

Covar

Covar

I'm a big fan, but I suck, and play the game casually.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Team balancing is pretty necessary, assuming you mean auto-balance. If it's shuffling after a team wins x many times in a row, it's nice to have.

cp_granary
cp_warmfront
koth_viaduct

Dave

Dave

Is there a time when you have too many maps in the rotation or is having a shitload of maps a good thing?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

More maps can help keep things fresh. At the same time, it also means that server favorites take longer to come around.

Dave

Dave

More maps can help keep things fresh. At the same time, it also means that server favorites take longer to come around.
Not with the voting in place. You can vote to go to a specific map.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If end-of-round voting is in place, then number of maps doesn't matter.

Dave

Dave

Added these three to the rotation and edited the rotation itself to balance out the types of games. I'm going to try and keep an even rotation so that we don't have 6 KOTH in a row, etc.

Jay

Jay

Auto-balance is mandatory.

Dave

Dave

And it's in there now. See, I don't know enough about the game to be the overall admin. I was hoping someone here had experience running a server.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PL_Hoodoo

Dave

Dave

Added.

Dave

Dave

Me & Fnord are battling epic style. Then some dude who called himself Dog came in so I broke for dinner (knowing the server would auto-correct). I eat one brat, come back and they're both gone! Come on, man! Don't be scared of little old Dave!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Hello.

Yes this is Dog

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

How do I get the map? :( It says I'm missing it, but wtf

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

well, that was fun.

especially when doublecross was the 3 people who knew how to play vs the 3 people who don't and we were getting flag caps one right after the other.

Jay

Jay

Need moar people.

And more items, cause some people have the good shit IMO. ;)

FnordBear

FnordBear

LOL and here I thought Dave ragequit LOL.

I acctualy broke to play SWTOR while waiting for miladylove to get home with noms. I'll probably pop on later.

figmentPez

figmentPez

And more items, cause some people have the good shit IMO. ;)
If anyone needs weapons, hit me up to trade. I've got duplicates of a lot of stuff. Check out my inventory if you're interested. Anything in the first three pages is up for trade.

fade

fade

I got kicked, and I can't get back on. It says that it can't CRC hoodoo_pl.bsp. So I deleted the bsp, and the bz2 file of the same name. It re-downloaded them, and then gave me the same message. If I try to connect again after the CRC message (both times) I get "your copy of hoodoo_pl differs from the server". I didn't ragequit, even though I sucked.

fade

fade

Ah, okay, it's a known Mac client bug, flagged since 2010. I can download the maps and install them myself, but it won't automatically download custom maps. Anybody know where I can get the custom map files we're using?

fade

fade

Jay

Jay

If anyone needs weapons, hit me up to trade. I've got duplicates of a lot of stuff. Check out my inventory if you're interested. Anything in the first three pages is up for trade.
Dude, Ubersaw PLZ!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If you haven't already, in settings->keyboard->advanced, enable Quick Weapon Switch.

In multiplayer->advanced options, consider enabling:
Medic: Don't have to hold M1 to keep medibeam up
Automatically reload when not firing
Sound plays when you hit
Display Damage

Also:
Medic for complete newbies

3 weapons:
Primary: Needle Gun
Secondary: Medigun
Melee: Bonesaw

Needle Gun is a projectile weapon and can be difficult to hit with. Use it as a way to cover escapes.

When you first spawn or respawn, automatically hit 2 and pull out the medigun. Stick with somebody good. Whoever you stick with, from here on out called a pocket, will receive the majority of your heals. In return, in theory, they are going to protect you and keep you safe. But don't just heal them. Heal everyone as much as you can.
When using the medigun, you can heal up to 150% of somebody's maximum. So the Heavy has 300 maximum. With the medigun, he can go up to 450. This is called an overheal. All health above the maximum will slowly drain away.
As you heal, there is a gauge that will fill. This is your Uber gauge. When it hits 100%, you can unleash the Ubercharge by right-clicking. This is ~8 seconds of invincibility for you and whoever you're healing. If you switch your healing targets while invincible, the amount of time spent invincible is shorter.
The ubercharge fills faster on injured teammates. Soldier, Demoman, and Scout can injure themselves. If nothing is going on, somebody should be hurting themselves to build uber faster.
The ubercharge is why the medic is so important. Teams need to keep medics safe because that invincibility can win games. The medic must also be able to stay alive as well, but more on that later.

The bonesaw is a melee weapon. You really shouldn't be using this that often. If killing somebody RIGHT NOW is really important and escape isn't an option, go for it. It's pretty last-ditch, but it can lead to some pretty big plays.

As medic, you have two jobs:
1. Heal everyone
2. Stay alive

The longer you stay alive, the more heals you can distribute and the more times you can use the ubercharge. Learn how to dodge. Identify what the other person thinks you're going to do.

General Tips
Keep watch behind you. You don't need to face the same direction as your pocket, so scan for spies or classes going for flanks. Communicate to your pocket anything you see.
Try to avoid open areas. Snipers love to headshot medics.
Stay behind cover or as far away from frontlines as possible. You need to be fairly close, but just try to stay back.
As a medic, if you don't have anyone to heal, hit 'E' to call "Medic!" Your German accent will tell nearby teammates that there is a lone medic, and they should find him to get some heals.
If you die and respawn alone, don't rush out by yourself. Wait for the next respawn wave. Heal those respawners when you go out to the frontline and meet up with your pocket at some point. Your ubergauge will have a higher % that way.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I haven't played either of these games....

I do have fond memories of 2fort on the original TFC halflife mod!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Just posting so I can keep track of this thread.

fade

fade

It is fun playing with the Hal guys. Dave works his DJ magic the whole time.

Dave

Dave

Just posting so I can keep track of this thread.
You can always watch the thread. You'll get alerts when people post. :-D

It is fun playing with the Hal guys. Dave works his DJ magic the whole time.
I get frickin' schooled in this game. But I only have level 1 stuff. I'll get there and I'll EARN it!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

What's this level 1 stuff you guys are talking about? Is there more items you can get? You mean I had to battle both Dave and Jay by myself with just default crap? No wonder it was so damn hard (you know... besides being outnumbered 2 to 1).

Hey Jay... say hello to a point blank rocket in the face! ;) (you backstabbing bastard)

I also learned that Dave likes to burn things.

Terrik

Terrik

I want to play. But you're all at work or school, or having hot jungle sex. Can't you guys do all this at once? Come on.

Wahad

Wahad

I want to play. But you're all at work or school, or having hot jungle sex. Can't you guys do all this at once? Come on.
I'll play you one on one if you like.

figmentPez

figmentPez

What's this level 1 stuff you guys are talking about? Is there more items you can get? You mean I had to battle both Dave and Jay by myself with just default crap? No wonder it was so damn hard (you know... besides being outnumbered 2 to 1).
There are a crap-ton of different weapons. Check out the Official TF2 Wiki.

The levels don't actually mean anything, though. All of the weapons are meant to be "side-grades", different but roughly equal. Every bonus comes with a disadvantage, and while some weapons aren't as balanced as others, there isn't anything out there that's completely game breaking. The default equipment isn't horrible for any class, unless it just doesn't suit your playstyle.

I don't know why Dave wants to "earn" his equipment. Most of the weapons only come via random drop (or crafting/purchase), at this point only a fraction come via achievements. There is a trading system out there for a reason, it takes a lot of playtime to accumulate all of the weapons, and even then some luck.

For those of you new to the game, look through the wiki at the weapons for whatever class strikes your fancy, and see which ones appeal to you. If you see something that you think will suit your style or strengths, then see if anyone has an extra to trade you (chances are that I do). Oh, and I have hats I don't use as well, if anyone wants to look extra snazzy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Stuff drops pretty fast, too. A week of playing will probably get you several new items for each class.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It should be noted that some of the weapons you start with are generally more useful than the sidegrades. For instance, the Heavy's Minigun is probably the best all around option for his main weapon and the Scattergun is great for Scouts because of it's decent damage and high ammo capacity. The other weapons just change up how you play.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I think only the pyro unlocks are strict upgrades

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think only the pyro unlocks are strict upgrades
Not really. The Backburneruses up more ammo for it's airbursts, the Degreaser does less afterburn damage, and the Phlogistinator doesn't get random crits, does 10% less damage, and can't airblast.

I'd still say the Phlog is a bit OP though, as that Mmmmph! rage is very powerful and you can't be killed while activating it unless your backstabbed.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Degreaser has quick weapon switch, allowing the pyro to get burst damage through flaregun and axetinguisher. Degreaser pyros don't care about afterburn.

Phlog has MMMMPH!. Backburner has higher flame damage and crits from behind.

Regular flamethrower is solid, but both of the pyro playstyles go better with the unlocks. If you want airblasting, you just use the degreaser since you also get easy access to flare gun crits. If you W+M1, phlog and backburner are built for that.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Some of the weapons are meant to have drawbacks, but the drawbacks are either so weak or so rarely seen that the weapon becomes a straight upgrade.

The best example, I think, is the Soldier's Equalizer. At low health, it does very high damage and makes you move very fast. That means it's a good desperation weapon, or a useful tool for escaping a fight to find health. Sure, it does piddling damage at high health, but you've got a rocket launcher and a shotgun. Plus, the nature of the game is that generally you're not going to stay at full health for very long.

Put another way, I've never heard of a Soldier player saying, "I'm going to go with my normal shovel instead of the Equalizer, just in case I need to do more damage with my melee weapon at full health."

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Still aren't straight upgrades, even if they do suit certain playstyles a bit more than others. The normal Flamethrower is still effective at ether role and doesn't have the downsides.

You want a straight upgrade? Pre-patch Blutsauger.

Some of the weapons are meant to have drawbacks, but the drawbacks are either so weak or so rarely seen that the weapon becomes a straight upgrade.

The best example, I think, is the Soldier's Equalizer. At low health, it does very high damage and makes you move very fast. That means it's a good desperation weapon, or a useful tool for escaping a fight to find health. Sure, it does piddling damage at high health, but you've got a rocket launcher and a shotgun. Plus, the nature of the game is that generally you're not going to stay at full health for very long.

Put another way, I've never heard of a Soldier player saying, "I'm going to go with my normal shovel instead of the Equalizer, just in case I need to do more damage with my melee weapon at full health."
Forgot about the Equalizer. Yeah, I can't think of a time I wouldn't want one. I'd call it an upgrade.

Covar

Covar

Natasha pre-nerf. :rage:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Natasha pre-nerf. :rage:
You could say the same about the Blutsauger, Ubersaw, and Backburner in those cases.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You will catch soldiers saying "I'm going with the shovel (or other melee weapon) because I want to be able to melee while Ubered". If you're a soldier who has swapped his shotgun for a banner, then you don't want to be wasting time reloading when you're inches away from a sentry. Switch to the Equalizer and bye-bye Uber.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The Amputator is a straight upgrade (if you're using the Crusader's Crossbow anyway).

EDIT: Other straight upgrades:

Lugermorph - I don't care if the stats are identical to the pistol, style matters. ;)
The Third Degree - It has no drawback compared to the Fire Axe.
Solemn Vow - No disadvantage compared to the Bone Saw

A lot of the melee weapons are OP in Medieval mode, but that doesn't really count.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That spy knife that instantly disguises you as who you just killed is very, very useful.

I don't know of a soldier who still uses the starter rocket launcher after they get something else, particularly the black box or the liberty launcher. One less max rocket isn't much.

All that said, the heavy's default minigun is pretty much my favorite of the bunch, even though every OTHER heavy I see seems married to the tomislav. And, of course, you're not a real heavy till you pick up a sandvitch.

On my scout, I loves me my soda popper. Mini crits are so underrated.

Wahad

Wahad

That spy knife that instantly disguises you as who you just killed is very, very useful.

I don't know of a soldier who still uses the starter rocket launcher after they get something else, particularly the black box or the liberty launcher. One less max rocket isn't much.

All that said, the heavy's default minigun is pretty much my favorite of the bunch, even though every OTHER heavy I see seems married to the tomislav. And, of course, you're not a real heavy till you pick up a sandvitch.

On my scout, I loves me my soda popper. Mini crits are so underrated.
I prefer to use the standard rocket launcher, save in some cases where I use the liberty. Don't underestimate that fourth rocket, man.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I actually use a Family Business instead of a Sandvitch, but that's because I like being able to shot while running away. But then again, I'm kinda weird in that I run a Sydney Sleeper instead of a Machina on my Sniper.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You will catch soldiers saying "I'm going with the shovel (or other melee weapon) because I want to be able to melee while Ubered". If you're a soldier who has swapped his shotgun for a banner, then you don't want to be wasting time reloading when you're inches away from a sentry. Switch to the Equalizer and bye-bye Uber.
That's pretty situational though. You'd need a soldier to be not using a shotgun, to be able to get within melee range of a sentry while ubered, and to expect himself to be the team's main uber sentry breaker, instead of the team's demo, pyro, or heavy. It could happen, but that'd be pretty rare.

If it's against other players, rather than a sentry, it's still quite rare to be out of ammo for all your other weapons and choose to melee your enemy, instead of reloading a single rocket.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That's pretty situational though. You'd need a soldier to be not using a shotgun, to be able to get within melee range of a sentry while ubered, and to expect himself to be the team's main uber sentry breaker, instead of the team's demo, pyro, or heavy. It could happen, but that'd be pretty rare.

If it's against other players, rather than a sentry, it's still quite rare to be out of ammo for all your other weapons and choose to melee your enemy, instead of reloading a single rocket.
Rare or not, it's still why I switched away from using the Equalizer. I'd run out of ammo enough times while ubered that I swapped out. It might not be the best choice, but it's what I've been rollin' with.

Wahad

Wahad

Anything's better than using the shovel. If you want a melee while ubering, be stylish and use the Half-Zatoichi.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

be more stylish and use the market gardener

Covar

Covar

Frying Pan

Dave

Dave

How in the name of all that's holy do I fucking add bots?!? I want to set it up to have up to 6 depending on the number of human players. So if I'm in there by myself I it would be 3x3. If two of us were in there it would STILL be 3x3 but only 4 bots instead of 5.

Looking at the wiki you either have to be on certain maps or you have to have sv_cheats 1 which the system won't let me do and I don't know if I want that hard-coded.

I did figure out how to set up the admin rights so if we get some idiots I can kick/ban them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

How in the name of all that's holy do I fucking add bots?!?

Looking at the wiki you either have to be on certain maps or you have to have sv_cheats 1 which the system won't let me do and I don't know if I want that hard-coded.
If you want to do it for a non-supported map, you have to add them every time the map loads. I don't think there is a mod for it ether... so right now, I'd just stick to the maps supported with bots for the time being, even if that changes our rotation a bit.

Or we can just do without bots on the CTF maps (because they don't work correctly in those).

Dave

Dave

How do I know which maps are naturally supporting them?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

How do I know which maps are naturally supporting them?
Maps with official bot support

So basically official Payload, point, and KOTH maps. Here's what the official wiki has to say.

Dave

Dave

So here's my question. What's more important? Having some bots to play against those who are alone for a time or keeping all of the maps we have but there's a good chance you'll not be able to play them?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd ask everyone else. I'm fine ether way.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

You could always have a mix of both too.

fade

fade

So can anyone point me to a place to download maps? The mac client seems to have a known bug with downloading custom maps. Some of them I have found, but I cannot find the Harvest map, for instance.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

http://www.netday.be/games/tf2/maps/

This place seems to be doing fine for me so far.

I'm joining up on the server now, btw.

Me and my brother. You can feel free to berate us about Alfie and Fistful of Fists

figmentPez

figmentPez

Can we make sure the server is using the official versions of the maps, when possible, that'll solve a lot of download issues.

For instance, I'm trying to join the server right now and I can't because it's trying to download PL_hoodoo, the official map is PL_hoodoo_final. Map list here. Those maps are part of TF2, and are kept up to date by Steam.

EDIT: failing that, maybe put up a .zip file with all the non-standard maps and post it here to make it easy to get the right files?

GasBandit

GasBandit

yeah switching to pl hoodoo final would be a good idea. sorry I left the final word of my description

Dave

Dave

I'll get it fixed in a bit when nobody is on. Otherwise it'll boot them.

Jay

Jay

Also, consider doubling the map stay time. Perhaps even an auto-shuffle between rounds.

TF2 is an old game that still requires an abnormally long load time.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I hate you all.....

Dave

Dave

Can we make sure the server is using the official versions of the maps, when possible, that'll solve a lot of download issues.

For instance, I'm trying to join the server right now and I can't because it's trying to download PL_hoodoo, the official map is PL_hoodoo_final. Map list here. Those maps are part of TF2, and are kept up to date by Steam.

EDIT: failing that, maybe put up a .zip file with all the non-standard maps and post it here to make it easy to get the right files?
ADD ALL THE MAPS!

Which I did.

Dave

Dave

Hmm. Only official maps and I still can't add bots.

Ash, you added the Sourcemod. Is this something we need? It lengthens the load time due to having to load mp3 files every time.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

.... I REALLY need to upgrade my desktop so I can play with y'all...

fade

fade

I really really suck at this game. Why is so much fun?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

oh god, kill tc_hydro

Dave

Dave

I got disconnected in the last map change. And then my Steam said it wanted to update & reboot. Figured it was a good a time as any to log off for the night.

And it's fun because you don't care if you die and sometimes you get to take them with ya.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Shegokigo I went 12-0 in one round. No one could stop me. You know what you must do...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

.... I REALLY need to upgrade my desktop so I can play with y'all...
try using max framerate config. makes the settings low and minimizes the amount of stuff around. makes it able to play on computers that wouldn't normally be able to.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Also, i hope some people are still playing when im out of class at 7:30 :(

Dave

Dave

oh god, kill tc_hydro
So what *EXACTLY* is wrong with this map? Is this something everyone hates or just your preferences? I don't know enough to be an effective admin yet so I have to ask these questions.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Hydro is a map everyone hates.

The points are all really wide and they're connected by a series of very small, very tight tunnels. Even with the signs telling you where to go, it can get a bit confusing and it's easy to get separated from your team.

And then the design itself is built to cause stalemates. It's people clashing down these tight passageways. Repeatedly. It has good aesthetics, it's just not that well-designed of a map.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There is a reason that no other map uses the same gimmick.

Soliloquy

In case I missed it -- how does one gain access to this server?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Anyone up for some games tomorrow at say 7 EST?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

In case I missed it -- how does one gain access to this server?
there should be a sticky in the games forum about the server. No clue why that information isn't in this the first post of this thread.

Dave

Dave

*sigh*

Soliloquy

For some reason I only see a broken image in both threads :(

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

IP - herp.derp.herp.derp

Soliloquy

Got it! you should probably delete that now.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hmm. Only official maps and I still can't add bots.

Ash, you added the Sourcemod. Is this something we need? It lengthens the load time due to having to load mp3 files every time.
Ok, the command to add bots is... tf_bot_quota_mode fill. This will fill the server with a certain number of bots per a player, which is determined by the command tf_bot_quota X, where X equals the numbe rof bots we want per a player.

I'm not sure if I need to do this via altering the server.cfg or if it can only be done in-game though. Lemme try altering the server file and then testing it. If it doesn't work, I'll delete the lines and we'll have to figure out how it's done elsewhere.

EDIT: Well that didn't work. Clanforge reverted the changes when I told it to save it. It's ether one of the other .cfgs or we have to do it in-game.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Regarding bots.

Personally I'd say it's not necessary to add them. People connect to online servers to play with other people. If I wanted to play with bots, the Offline Practice mode already offers that. With lower ping, too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Regarding bots.

Personally I'd say it's not necessary to add them. People connect to online servers to play with other people. If I wanted to play with bots, the Offline Practice mode already offers that. With lower ping, too.
Yeah, but people will look and see nobody on the server and then say, "oh, nobody's on the server, I'll go do something else."

But if you put bots on the server in fill mode, people can join and mess with the bots, until more people show up, and as more players join the bots duck out until you've got nothing but real players.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I absolutely agree on needing bots. It really helps when it's just 3v3 on huge maps.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Alright... something's wonky. I gave myself Admin rights in-game so I could try to get the bots working while in-game, but for some reason it's not working. I tried it both via my IP and my Unique Steam Id # but it won't recognize me, even after resetting the server. Can't even change the map running.

You may need to give these guys a call to find out what's up, Dave.

As for SourceMod... no, I didn't add that. That was already there or something. The only thing I've done to the server was activate All Talk.

EDIT: Trying to add my rights via the main admin file instead of the simple one. Let's see if that works.

Nope, didn't work.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

If ever you have any questions about any SourceOP mods, let me know. Drunken Fool and I go waay waaay back and even though I haven't played in a riduclously long time, I was still a regular donator as well as one of his original donators. So we still talk from time to time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Basically, I think Dave wants to get rid of the Map Vote stuff from SourceOP, because it's causing delays in loading because it ALWAYS forces you to download the mapvote.mp3 file, even if you've gotten it before. It's probably a simple fix, but I've never used SourceOP and don't want to break anything.

Dave

Dave

I've tried to add bots for 2 days now unsuccessfully. All the tutorials say you either can do it by the simple commands or you have to sv_cheats 1 which opens your server up to God mode and other bullshit. I know it can be done, but how is beyond me.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

At this point I think it's something on Multiplay's end. They may have put something in that requires us to do this a different way or prevents us from doing it at all. After it actually reverted some of my changes, I've become a bit suspicious.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I suggest asking on multiplay's forums. Every time I have had problems with our minecraft server, I've usually gotten an answer on how to do something/fix something from multiplay's minecraft forum.

Dave

Dave

I'm on it!

Dave

Dave

Forum says nothing. And their suggestion is to open a ticket. So I did.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hey Dave, I managed to turn Bots on. Here's how I did it in-case it doesn't stick.

1.) Go to Clanforge.
2.) Select Server.
3.) Near the bottom you'll see a button called Live Control.
4.)Click the Current Game tab and make sure it's a supported map.
5.)Click the Console tab.
6.)Enter the commands (tf_bot_quota_mode fill, tf_bot_quota 1) into the Console Actions bar.

This will spawn one bot for every human player on the server, up to the max amount of players.

If you need to adjust the bot difficulty, go to the Console tab again and input tf_bot_difficulty X, where X is the difficulty of the bots. It goes from 0-3 and it starts at 1.

You can do all the in-game admin stuff from the Live Control panel, including kick and ban, and I think this is the only way we can do it ATM.

Dave

Dave

You fucking kidding me?!? ARGH! Thanks, man!

Dave

Dave

Do we need to add this to each map and do they stay there?

fade

fade

when you leave, they start braiding each other's hair and having tea parties.

Dave

Dave

I KNEW IT!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Do we need to add this to each map and do they stay there?
I have NO fucking idea. I was just glad I got a bot to spawn. We'll have to try and experiment with it later.

Dave

Dave

When I get home I'll log in and do a bit of map hopping. If they show up on all of them (as we have only official maps now) then we'll be cool. Otherwise I'll have to put the data on all of them.

What map did you put this on when you tested?

Dave

Dave

Oh, and in other news, last night we had 14 people on, going 7x7 on a couple matches. No lags, no worries. I got a message from some people saying it was a great server. Score!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

When I get home I'll log in and do a bit of map hopping. If they show up on all of them (as we have only official maps now) then we'll be cool. Otherwise I'll have to put the data on all of them.

What map did you put this on when you tested?
I did pl_hoodoo_final. Remember, they don't work on ALL the official maps. It's still in beta.

Calleja

Calleja

I just started playing this game and became completely and utterly addicted. Bots are definitely a must, though, last night Ed and I played a few rounds 1 on 1 and, although fun, definitely not very Teamfortresstwo-ey. Hit me up, I'm calleja42 there.. I think. You must be able to find me via Turbo's profile under "friends".

Covar

Covar

rotation request: ctf_well.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ugh... for some reason Steam won't connect to the servers ATM. This means two things.

1.) My inventory can't be accessed right now.

2.) Even if I can get in game, I get kicked soon after by VAC because it can't detect me.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

@_@

holy shit those guys were insane

Dave

Dave

Yeah, they were really, REALLY good. They mentioned that they did podcasts so I wonder who they are.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'm pretty sure Atomsk is on the highlander team The Honey Badgers. Since he mentioned getting casted.

Unless it was a different one, of course.

Dave

Dave

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Oh god. Pleasedon'tletusbeinthatpubpoundingseriespleasedon'tletusbeinthatpubpoundingseries

Dave

Dave

I think it would rock if we were. Especially when I was his healer. GRAA!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

that means I'm the victim >.<

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Damn it... just as my Steam stops acting up, the fun's over.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I really wish my machine could play TF2 properly. It keeps freezing like a mofo. What should I do?

Dave

Dave

Either set it on fire, where it can't freeze. Or get a new machine.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Either set it on fire, where it can't freeze. Or get a new machine.
Well, that's another electronic device I'm saving up for.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

We need to find Chronos[Ha-G] and ask for advice about server settings.

Dave

Dave

You mean Chronos[Ha-G]? I'd be for it. Where's he been?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

We need to find Chronos[Ha-G] and ask for advice about server settings.
Yes please. I really like this game but my Inspiron lap-top just can't handle it.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

presumably, doing the kritzkast.

yoshi, a page or two ago, I linked to a config that lowers settings and and reduces amount of in-game assets. Try seeing if that makes the game ugly enough to work on your system. If it doesn't, you're out of luck.

Jay

Jay

I talk to Chronos sometimes, I'll give him a head's up.

Maybe he can help.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Jay pulled me in here - annoyingly, I don't know much about how to set up a server myself. BUT! I do know many, many people who could probably help. I'll go bug them when I get the chance.

Around; just been busy. Halforum is still my homepage, even if I don't post much...been trying to remember to post more. Hopefully, this right here will be the start again.

Jay

Jay

I used a fake tinyurl and told him to click it to get the free Mass Effect ending DLC.

Not really.

Calleja

Calleja

I just scrapped 2 of my heavy guns for scrap metal because I'm stupid.. luckily it wasn't my main one, but I lost Natascha and that hurt. Don't play with the crafting menu if you're a noob.

Also, on a related note, if anyone has any extra shit for Heavy, Engineer, Sniper or Medic please remember your friendly neighborhood Mex :problemo:

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I guess my free stuff wasn't enough :cry:

Terrik

Terrik

Crocodile tears.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Check out my inventory, if anyone wants to claim something from the first three pages, feel free to hit me up for trading. I've got lots of weapons, hats and even some vintage stuff I'm willing to part with.

Calleja

Calleja

IT WAS! You're the one that gave me my brass minigun that changes name and rank with kills, I use it ALL THE TIME and LOVE IT!

Chronos[Ha-G]

So, wait - just so I'm clear. What, exactly, are you 1) trying to do with the server, and 2) having issues with? This'll help when I go to ask people.

EDIT: Also, Calleja - I jumped onto a server you were playing on about an hour or two ago, to see if you noticed I hopped on (YOU DIDN'T YOU JERK! RAARRRRRGLBLLLBBBBLLL).

Calleja

Calleja

I noticed you were online but I never saw you join my game!! D: Message me, you pendejo!

Dave

Dave

So, wait - just so I'm clear. What, exactly, are you 1) trying to do with the server, and 2) having issues with? This'll help when I go to ask people.
I don't know, truthfully. I just need pointers and tips about what makes a good server for everyone.

Chronos[Ha-G]

I don't know, truthfully. I just need pointers and tips about what makes a good server for everyone.
For everyone, eh? If I've read the thread correctly, you're trying to alternate between TF2, L4D2, and (potentially) CS:S on a daily basis? Or is this confined to just TF2 at the moment?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If I start patching this game now, it might be ready by the weekend

Dave

Dave

Right now just sticking with TF2.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Right now just sticking with TF2.
Good - that makes things infinitely easier, lol.

Dave

Dave

I'm so new at this I don't even know what questions to ask!

Chronos[Ha-G]

I'm so new at this I don't even know what questions to ask!
Okay - I'm just going to admit right now; I'm an idiot, and I can't figure out how to private message on the forums anymore (STOP CHANGING THE SITE! GRARRRGH!). Would you like to jump onto the vent to sort some of this?

EDIT: Okay, figured it out, but the question's out already anyway.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

anyone have a widowmaker they aren't using?

figmentPez

figmentPez

anyone have a widowmaker they aren't using?
I do, hit me up for a trade.

I have a ton of extra weapons. I'm gonna craft some into scrap soon if no one claims them. If anyone wants anything, just ask. That includes my duplicate vintage items.

I also have hats I don't use:
Old Guadalajara (sombrero for Pyro)
Respectless Rubber Glove (Pyro)
Scotch Bonnet (riot helmet for Demo)
Sober Stuntman (Evel Knievel style helmet for Demo)
The Dashin' Hashshashin (Assassin's Creed hood for Spy)
The Under Cover (Halloween/Full Moon - only invisible man bandage mask for Spy)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

well, if you're not using it, I'd like that sombrero as well

figmentPez

figmentPez

well, if you're not using it, I'd like that sombrero as well
Sure thing. I have no idea who you are on Steam, though.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

[hf] Dog

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Anyone gonna play today or what?

Wahad

Wahad

I'd take the rubber glove, please! Also a pair of Wee Booties and Gunboats would be nice.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'd take the rubber glove, please! Also a pair of Wee Booties and Gunboats would be nice.
I've got both the Wee Booties and the Gunboats. Hit me up next time you're online.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Anyone gonna play today or what?
I can play for about the next half-hour

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

We'll train your pyro skills together, Allen.

Soon, you will be unstoppable..

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

it's just building up the muscle memory at this point. although it's nice to know that I've been hitting the airblast too late

Calleja

Calleja

I do, hit me up for a trade.

I have a ton of extra weapons. I'm gonna craft some into scrap soon if no one claims them. If anyone wants anything, just ask. That includes my duplicate vintage items.

I also have hats I don't use:
Old Guadalajara (sombrero for Pyro)
Respectless Rubber Glove (Pyro)
Scotch Bonnet (riot helmet for Demo)
Sober Stuntman (Evel Knievel style helmet for Demo)
The Dashin' Hashshashin (Assassin's Creed hood for Spy)
The Under Cover (Halloween/Full Moon - only invisible man bandage mask for Spy)
OOH OOH can I have bot the spy hood, hat, things please??

I swear I thought the whole hat business was weird before I started playing TF2 and now I'm like MORE HAAAATS!

Also, yesterday I saw a soldier with ACTUAL PLANETS orbiting around his head... who do I have to fuck to get that shit on my Heavy/Sniper/Engie?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Those "Unusual" hats go for $150-500 on Ebay Calle.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

there's a tf2 economy. you can trade metals to people for hats, strange weapons, etc. prices will be posted online and there are servers dedicated to trading.

so you need to find out what people want for unusual hats and then fellate them enough to make them give it to you.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

To earn a TF2 Unusual hat through "trading" in game? You'd need about 2yrs of scrap metal farming. Unless you used multiple accounts.

Either that or get massively lucky while opening crates.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

To earn a TF2 Unusual hat through "trading" in game? You'd need about 2yrs of scrap metal farming. Unless you used multiple accounts.

Either that or get massively lucky while opening crates.
Got lucky opening crates for my Heavy's unusual hat. I cant join a game without someone offering stuff for it. That's no exaggeration either, it gets annoying after a while.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've gotten quite a few offers for my Max hat, but I'm a Telltale fan so I won't be parting with it.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Anyone want to play right now?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

well, I'll be hanging out on the server for the next 10-15 minutes. I'll leave if nobody shows up.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I dont get home for thirty minutes, then I can playy!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I was jumping around badlands. It was fun.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Join the server right now!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Good fun for those couple of maps ;)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Got lucky opening crates for my Heavy's unusual hat. I cant join a game without someone offering stuff for it. That's no exaggeration either, it gets annoying after a while.
I know the feeling. Everybody bugs me for my Bill's Hat. This is because there are mods out there that let people scan servers for certain items.

Some advice to people: If you have Earbuds or Bill's Hat, people are going to ask you for it and offer you an insulting amount for it. Don't settle for less than 9-10 keys or 22.5 refined metal for a Bill's and double that for Earbuds. Both of these hats are very valuable.

Calleja

Calleja

Holy shit, 150 dollars, seriously? I could get like FIVE blowjobs for that D:

What's exactly up with the crates, though? I have a couple now, but from what I gather they're useless unless I BUY a key on the store, right? And then what the crate gives me is 100% random?

Jay

Jay

Wait.... my Bill Hat is worth 150$?

Where do I sell it?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wait.... my Bill Hat is worth 150$?

Where do I sell it?
Bill's isn't worth that kind of money. You could get like 9-10 keys though, or 20+ refined metal.

You need an Unusual to get that kind of money. Unusuals drop at something like 1% from Crates.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Considering keys are only $3 that makes a Bill's worth little over $30. Man I should finally buy one.

Calleja

Calleja

Holy shit, 150 dollars, seriously? I could get like FIVE blowjobs for that D:

What's exactly up with the crates, though? I have a couple now, but from what I gather they're useless unless I BUY a key on the store, right? And then what the crate gives me is 100% random?
Why that's an interesting question, you sexy Mexican you, I can't for the life of me imagine why no one has answered it, considering your charm and good looks, I'm afraid I don't know the answer but I'm sure someone will come along and give it soon. You deserve free shit, too, I think. Maybe even blowjobs.

Calleja

Calleja

Shit, so keys never drop... Valve is an evil genius. 3 dollars and you could get one of the most valuable items in the game, but most probably something you already got from drops, am I getting that right?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The only thing that comes from a crate that you can't craft/find dropped are the 1% Unusual hats or "Event" items. It's why they made TF2 free. They're making so so much more off the keys. I have a friend who buys 20-40 keys every pay period. He keeps all the unusual hats he gets and only trades off anything that his favorite classes can't wear.

Calleja

Calleja

Crafting is only viable if you have like a shit ton of repeated stuff to make metal and tokens of, right?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yep. There's a weekly cap of items you can get from random drops. So even if you played more, it wouldn't matter.

Calleja

Calleja

Stupid sexy Valve.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Crafting is only viable if you have like a shit ton of repeated stuff to make metal and tokens of, right?
Nah, there are recipes for each of the weapons. If you've got the right weapons you can make what you don't have, though generally trading is easier if you've got generous friends.

Terrik

Terrik

You guys should totally play more in the mornings.

Just sayin.

I played push the bomb by myself twice last night. I only died once.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The only thing that comes from a crate that you can't craft/find dropped are the 1% Unusual hats or "Event" items.
That's not entirely true... You can also get Strange Parts. They let you add something to your weapons that keeps track of things like how many headshots you've gotten with it or how many Heavy's you've killed. You can't currently get those from drops.

Calleja, generally speaking, if you open a crate, you usually have a 20% chance for a weapon, a 9% chance for one of the hats, and a 1% chance for an unusual hat (which can be ANY hat with ANY special effect, not just the ones listed on the crate). You can also get Strange Parts and Paint.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You can also get paint from random drops. I got a pink one, and painted my Heavy's Hound Dog. Yes, my Heavy has pink hair. When you've got a one-hundred-fifty kilogram gun that fires two hundred dollar custom tooled cartridges at ten thousand rounds per minute, you can go around with pink hair and not feel any less masculine.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We really need to figure out how to populate the server with bots automatically I got on friday night, nobody was there, and we were on bot-capable maps with no bots >_<

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Bots had pathing issues. They worked well on some maps, but on the other maps, they just stood around in spawn like idiots.

Dave

Dave

We really need to figure out how to populate the server with bots automatically I got on friday night, nobody was there, and we were on bot-capable maps with no bots >_<
Let me see what I can do.

Dave

Dave

Definitive answer from Clanforge:

I'm afraid we do not support bots on our services due to the high CPU usage they carry.
So...we have to add bots ourselves each time and they can't be saved. So we have a couple of choices.

1. Go without bots.
  2. Find a different host. I have not paid for the year yet so this is a viable alternative.
  3. Give everyone (from the boards) the ability to do the commands and add bots.
So...how important are bots to you all?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

not at all

GasBandit

GasBandit

I can't speak for everyone, but without bots, whenever I see the server at 0 players I'll just move on to another server, probably for the remainder of the evening. If enough others feel that way, we can count on the server being a ghost town except when a concerted effort is made to schedule people to play together.

How much is all this? If it's 250 bucks a month they're ripping us off if there's no bot support.

Dave

Dave

Two things:
  1. It's $225 a year because it's also a L4D2 server.
  2. This is why I'm making a schedule. I'll be putting up Events soon. So far we have Melee Mondays, Bumble's Wednesday Mania and Accomplishment Thursdays. Still don't have an answer as to when to hold events on weekends so the people overseas can participate.

Jay

Jay

I've hosted servers before and is a simple fact is that people will only join the server if there's something to do with their time. If it's just one player waiting or a 1 on 1... it's boring. If there's a minimum of placeholder bots that will provide at the very least a 4 on 4 then when people join, it'll give them a reason to join. If they do not provide bot support, well it's time to look at other hosts who do.

Also, I still don't see the logical reason why the server has L4D2 functionality.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

It's true... if there are bots I will jump in and mess around regardless of whether there are no active players. Right now... I log in, check the player count... see it's zero and then find somewhere else to play.

Dave

Dave

So far it sounds like we want bot support. I'll look around and see what I can find. But if you know of a good dedicated server farm that we might be able to have more than 1 game, please let me know.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We're probably going to have to find a different server host if we want bots, but they may charge more for it. However, having bots running WILL make it more active, if only because people will see numbers.

Honestly, we just need to schedule more events I think. When we know people will be there, people will be there.

Also, I still don't see the logical reason why the server has L4D2 functionality.
We were planning to do L4D2 nights as well, since the new (free) DLC is coming out soon, but switching over the server may prove to be too much of a hassle. It's something Dave will have to think about in the future.

Dave

Dave

It's not difficult to switch at all. All you do is change the profile and hit save.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh... then carry on!

Calleja

Calleja

There are like 14 Halforum people online RIGHT NOW and there's no game going on in the server? FOR SHAME

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'm on the server

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Be easier to tell if you associated your STEAM name under your profile Allen.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Now I'm not. Found some fun scout jumps and shortcuts on gorge though

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dave, can I run saturday night saxton hale?

Dave

Dave

Sure! Anyone can run an event. Just let me know what I need to do to set it up.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It looks like it's a server mod. Is it possible for you to install mods?

There's a cvar in the .cfg that allows the mod to be turned on and off, so presumably, just turn it on for saturday evenings and keep it off the rest of the time.

Dave

Dave

Just made a Saxton Hale profile that should work. You should be able to go in and test it now. I'm off to a meeting, though, so I won't be checking in for at least an hour. Let me know if it's working.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Went in and nothing.

If it's installed and enabled, it only works on arena maps and vsh maps. Information about the mode can be found here and here

Dave

Dave

Took away all the maps and added in all arena & vsh maps, excluding the ones that had numbers after them (_a2, _b3, etc.) as these are usually alphas, betas...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Seemed to be working. Hard to say for sure though since it requires 2 people before the game would start.

Dave

Dave

I can't help you there. I'm at work.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I need to get going anyway. Have to do some tests for one of my doctors. I'll try again later.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It works

Dave

Dave

Suh-weet!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Seems like it would be pretty bananas if we could get a group in there

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Tested it with Allen, and it seems amazing

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Saturdays 5-ish, PDT (-7 GMT, iirc) for the starting time, I guess.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

So Dave, help me out. Just make an event? Sacrifice some children? What do I need to do to make this thing happen?

Covar

Covar

How healthy is your goat herder?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

He spends enough time around those goats that I have no clue. If I had to guess, I'd say normal-ish goat herder health.

Covar

Covar

I'll get my candles and playing cards.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So when/if are we thinking about setting up another event?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just bumping this thread to say I got an AWESOME shot as a sniper last night. 2fort. I had just switched to sniper to get rid of an enemy sniper, then was gonna switch back to the class I was playing before that. I use the Machina. I lined up the shot, and right as I pull the trigger, a scout jumps in front of him. But so lined up that it's a straight line from my barrel through BOTH HEADS.

I've gotten double-headshot kills (rarely) before with the machina, but this was the first time I had done when one of the targets was airborne.

Yeah, the sniper ragequit.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Untitled-2.jpg

Couldn't resist. :troll:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You wanna prove how awesome a Sniper you are? Go Sydney Sleeper. :troll:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Haters gonna hate. Can't kill 2 people with one shot with any other gun. You probably call the COD grenade launcher the "noob toob" too.

align.PNG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^