Norway blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
I can't believe I just read that. No, no, I can... I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really want Bill O' Reilly to be struck mute and unable to write, sign, or blink in morse code.

C

Chibibar

I hope this guy is denied any access to the outside world. He does not need to be remembered, martyr or iconize.

This monster should be labeled a terrorist, because that is a label not restricted to any race or religion or political belief. People used to know that - the IRA, Tamil Tigers, Aum Shinrikyo / Aleph, Mau Mau, and FARC, while wildly different in ethnicity, religion, and cause, are all united in that they use violence and terror as their methodology the same as the boogeyman of Al'Queda.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Dude, those weren't REAL Christians...
Unfortunately that's what Päivi Räsänen, the head of the Christian Democratic Party here in Finland, keeps saying about Breivik, too. That Breivik who called himself a Christian extremist is not a Christian extremist, and therefore the Oslo and Utöya attacks have nothing to do with religion.

Oh, and because of the Oslo and Utöya attacks we should put more resources into curtailing extremist movements, she adds. Real ones, like those pesky muslims and such...

I think Bill O'Reilly would like to have her as his bride.

You know someone should follow these people around and pull out one of those giant cartoon signs with a fallacy on each one and pull them out when they use one as an argument... you'd pay them 1$ for each one... they'd be rich in no time...

Of course, it's the lack of business cards with Jesus on it:

I guess calling yourself a crusader just isn't enough these days.

C

Chibibar

I don't approve of wars since civilians are usually the victim of such attacks, BUT the convention of wars TRY to keep the battle against the soldiers of nations. Wars sometimes are necessary evil when diplomacy fails.

But when people or an organization target directly at civilians (men, women or children) in their fight, that is a whole different ball game. I personally feel that these people should NOT be given any media attention at all (which is hard to do since it sells paper/news/feed whatever) but as a society, we should exercise such option to these scums. Giving them the attention only help promote their message to the world, instead, they should be shut off from the world (media wise) from their crimes.

I don't approve of wars since civilians are usually the victim of such attacks, BUT the convention of wars TRY to keep the battle against the soldiers of nations.
Geneva Convention - 1949 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_I

One must not forget, those conventions aren't that old.

Giving them the attention only help promote their message to the world, instead, they should be shut off from the world (media wise) from their crimes.
Hushing them up just makes it seem like they had something worth hushing up to say...

Ridicule is still the best way to deal with attention whores imo...

Actually, ignoring attention whores would be the best way to handle them. By ridiculing them, they're STILL getting their name out there... which is all they want.

I still like my idea of everyone like the Norway guy and the fort hood shooter should be found too crazy to stand trail and be made to live in s mental institution on zombie pills for the rest of their life

I still like my idea of everyone like the Norway guy and the fort hood shooter should be found too crazy to stand trail and be made to live in s mental institution on zombie pills for the rest of their life
No no, you want them aware of everything while living there. That's the punishment - complete and utter awareness but an inability to do anything about it.

Actually, ignoring attention whores would be the best way to handle them. By ridiculing them, they're STILL getting their name out there... which is all they want.
The problem with ignoring them is that for it to actually be ignoring them then it would require censorship...

North_Ranger

Staff member
If my reading on the matter is correct, he wants to appear as a legitimate anti-Islamic fighter in defense of Europe. At least according to the latest, more detailed psych evaluation he was not psychotic when he went and killed all those people. I mean, if he was crazy, nobody would listen to him. But if he is "sane" (as much as a 77-person-killing man can be), he will get his moment in the court to rant about multiculturalism.

I actually feel sympathy for his lawyer, Geir Lippestad. They did an article of him recently in my morning paper, and he seemed like a genuinely good, liberal-minded person who isn't after the glory in defending Breivik. More like he believes in a lawful, democratic society in which even people like Breivik deserve a fair trial. Not that he's not feeling the impact of all this: I think the article quoted him saying he feels like he has lost his soul, and hopes that once the trial is over, it will come back to him.

I also applaud the Norwegian response to this whole tragedy. From the article:

"I think that one of the main messages from Norway after the tragedy ... was that we were going to protect our democracy. And part of our democracy is the divisions of responsibilities between the government and the courts. It's up to the courts to decide whether this man is going to be sentenced or not, whether he is insane or not. It's not a question which is going to be decided by politicians. That's part of our democratic society," [Norwegian Prime Minister] Stoltenberg said.

Tore Bjorgo, a terror expert and professor at Norwegian Police University College, said Breivik appears to be overly concerned about his self-image and sees himself in the role of a "fantastic, great person who will save Europe."

"It's we who should decide what kind of a society we want; it's not the terrorists," he said. "And the logic of terrorism is to try to provoke responses to get people to act in ways the terrorists want, and it was important that we didn't do that. We didn't go down that road, and that was, I think, a big victory."

And for other people to do the same.He is scum and I hope he will be locked away for the rest of his life.After due process ofcourse.

At this point he'll likely be kept under lock and key for the rest of his life even if for his own safety. I can imagine he'd suddenly become extremely accident prone were he to ever be released.

North_Ranger

Staff member
At this point he'll likely be kept under lock and key for the rest of his life even if for his own safety. I can imagine he'd suddenly become extremely accident prone were he to ever be released.
You make it sound like every Norwegian is going to jump his ass if he ever gets out of prison.

Dude, you're talking about Norway, not the parts of the United States where they greet you with banjo music and a hard buggering.

You make it sound like every Norwegian is going to jump his ass if he ever gets out of prison.

Dude, you're talking about Norway, not the parts of the United States where they greet you with banjo music and a hard buggering.
How about the black metal dudes? Would they go after him?

Perhaps they would worship him.

I wasn't meaning every Norwegian, but I think there'd be a few that would see to his life outside being rather unpleasant.

To paraphrase what @lien said, damn I wanna go to prison in Norway. You know what I have to pay to have that sort of nice (if slightly small) room, a flat screen TV, access to healthcare, indoor and outdoor recreation facilities, education and training, and a really nice view outside my window? This guy's going to get it all for free for the next 21 years.

Still though... no net access. That's a minus.

North_Ranger

Staff member
To paraphrase what @lien said, damn I wanna go to prison in Norway. You know what I have to pay to have that sort of nice (if slightly small) room, a flat screen TV, access to healthcare, indoor and outdoor recreation facilities, education and training, and a really nice view outside my window? This guy's going to get it all for free for the next 21 years.

Still though... no net access. That's a minus.
Count how many times a week you go out. To eat out, to see a movie, to meet friends, to see new places...

Then come back and tell how sweet prison life sounds like.

Count how many times a week you go out. To eat out, to see a movie, to meet friends, to see new places...

Then come back and tell how sweet prison life sounds like.
I'm a shameless otaku though. I don't go out unless I have to. My record, back when I had a flatmate to do all the grocery shopping, was ten weeks without leaving our front door.

I'm a recluse with whose had an anxiety disorder since the start of high school. Before I started volunteering, I easily had bhamv beat by full months. I assure you, some people would never leave their houses if they didn't have to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.