News in Catholicism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
Didn't think about renaming. Ok, let's try it this way. It won't move to flame wars until it gets really bad in here. Resume-- :)

Cajungal

Staff member
......No one wants to complain about Catholics anymore? After I slaved and slaved over a hot "tread tools" button? :pout:

S

Steven Soderburgin

But yeah, this isn't really a change to established behavior of the Church, it's just the Church openly stating it's long-established position on gays and women serving in the clergy (a position I obviously disagree with) in order to pick up on a juicy recruitment opportunity.

But yeah, this isn't really a change to established behavior of the Church, it's just the Church openly stating it's long-established position on gays and women serving in the clergy (a position I obviously disagree with) in order to pick up on a juicy recruitment opportunity.
I have to admit I also disagree with this position. And with lots and lots of other positions of my church. I'm a catholic more because of tradition than anything else... as I said in the "religion?" topic, I have my own little religion going on inside my head. One day I may even write it down (probably as fiction) to try and spread my ideas about the world. Wich are pretty cool :cool:

The attitude toward gays is one of the main things that keeps me away from church. Well, besides the agnostic thing I've got going, but I can overlook that for the free snacks they pass around (or make you get up and get in the case of Catholic churches, in their general theme of church aerobics). The creationism gets a solid eyeroll, of course, but at least that's merely stupid and not mean.

Oh, and chicks are people, too. Give 'em a fancy robe if they want one. Otherwise I, too, will go all e-Martin Luther up in this bitch.

C

Chazwozel

Hate gays and women? Then give Catholicism a try!

They can think whatever they like, but I think you're being naive if you don't see this as a purely political move that has very little, if anything, to do with actual religious belief systems.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

And Re: the thread title, that's pretty much exactly what the church itself is saying. They're saying, "If you are upset that women and gays can obtain equal station within your church, then come join the Catholic Church because we continue to marginalize gays and women. We'll even make it easier to make the switch and you'll get to keep most of your traditions."
Remember the best way is to hook em when their young!

I believe their message runs more along the lines of, "we won't bend over, just because the government/media says it's trendy. It's not like anyone's forcing others to adhere to Catholic doctrines, unless they want to follow the religion.

I..I...actually agree with Steiny 100% on this.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

The attitude toward gays is one of the main things that keeps me away from church. Well, besides the agnostic thing I've got going, but I can overlook that for the free snacks they pass around (or make you get up and get in the case of Catholic churches, in their general theme of church aerobics). The creationism gets a solid eyeroll, of course, but at least that's merely stupid and not mean.

Oh, and chicks are people, too. Give 'em a fancy robe if they want one. Otherwise I, too, will go all e-Martin Luther up in this bitch.
There are so many religions to choose from that'll conform to what ever self-imposed ideals a person sets upon themselves these days. I really don't see a big issue with this. It's not like someone's gotta become Catholic to find religion.

Hate gays and women? Then give Catholicism a try!

because the government/media says it's trendy. .
Being a homosexual or, god forbid, a woman isn't 'trendy'[/QUOTE]

The Catholic church, for good or ill, is about 2000 years old. It's quite like changing the direction of a train using a toothpick. For them, yes, this whole fascination with "Equal Rights" is trendy.

C

Chazwozel

No one's ever said anything approaching that the government should force the church to do anything.
Then the point of the OP is to bitch about the Catholic church trying to swipe bigots from the former bigoted churches so they can remain bigots?

S

Steven Soderburgin

Hey, so backing up to what steinman's interpretation of what this means, the whole "Church changing according to the precepts of man instead of God" thing, what about the Church allowing married priests? That used to be hell of against the rules, but they tend to make some exceptions for that now. Isn't that changing according to the precepts of man? Because that goes against long standing Catholic tradition

EDIT: Basically, that excuse is bullshit because the Catholic Church changes things around to fit its whims all the time.

S

Steven Soderburgin

The OP is an article about how the Church is changing things around in order to do a big recruitment drive based entirely on bigotry.

C

Chazwozel

Hey, so backing up to what steinman's interpretation of what this means, the whole "Church changing according to the precepts of man instead of God" thing, what about the Church allowing married priests? That used to be hell of against the rules, but they tend to make some exceptions for that now. Isn't that changing according to the precepts of man? Because that goes against long standing Catholic tradition

Dude, it's a major religion. You're trying to point out fallacies and loopholes in a major religion. Think about that for a second. You might as well piss in the wind.

If you are married, or plan on getting married, you can only become a Deacon, not a priest. Common misconception. There is pressure to change this, but once again, train, toothpick.

It's the same as the Anglican thing:

"The exception is granted only to married men who previously served as protestant clergy then converted to Catholicism."

And then right after that, heh

"Some Catholics wonder if such exceptions may open the door to more diversity, such as allowing priests to marry or allowing the ordination of female priests."

Status
Not open for further replies.