Export thread

New Puppy - With pics! (was Craigslist thread)

Dave

Dave

I'm going to be leaving today to get a puppy from a Craigslist ad. I'm meeting them at a public place but something about it it stinking.

First, the name given to me is Nina S. but when I Google the number I get a whole bunch of ads for this number selling dogs. So at BEST it's a puppy mill. At worst it's a way to get people to a location to rob them or swindle them in some way. Oh, and that number on a couple of the other ads comes up with the name Amy W.

What do you think and what precautions do you think I should take? I'm already taking my wife with me, she's going to stay in the car with the cell phone in the driver's seat just in case. I'm taking no money other than the $80.

I understand not them not wanting to meet at their house if this is legit because of who might show up there, but this is the second time I've been asked to meet at a gas station right by the interstate and I'm getting a "vibe". Am I getting paranoid or appropriately cautious?

MindDetective

MindDetective

If you are on edge, one thing you could do is change the meeting place to someplace even more public. We have met people for craigslist items at public places before. I think it is becoming more common. I get the impression it is a puppy mill.

Dave

Dave

So you think I should change the location last minute? Think they'll balk? If they have something set up (as in an ambush) then that would effectively deter it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

So you think I should change the location last minute? Think they'll balk? If they have something set up (as in an ambush) then that would effectively deter it.
Well, that's what I think too. Don't ask to move it too far away, and it would be good to have a legitimate excuse, like you are going to be at a nearby grocery store shopping, so would they mind meeting there instead.

Dave

Dave

I'm not liking the location.

5235 Arbor Road, Lincoln, Nebraska

Google map that bitch. It's a tiny gas station and there's nothing around it but industrial complexes.

phil

phil

Change to like a Starbucks or something if you're feeling iffy.

Chibibar

I'm not liking the location.

5235 Arbor Road, Lincoln, Nebraska

Google map that bitch. It's a tiny gas station and there's nothing around it but industrial complexes.
Bad idea. I say move to a location that is more public. At least when other people can see you.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Also if they balk are you willing to go back to looking for a puppy?

Dave

Dave

Hell yes. If I change the location and they don't want to meet me there then I'm walking.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Definitely find a more public place, give them a good excuse, and change the location.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

It sounds more 'puppy-mill' than 'ambush', but some people are crazy, so you never know. If you're getting bad feelings about it, I would definately change the location.
It looks there is a shopping center, with a Wal-mart, Sam's Club and Bed Bath and Beyond a little ways South West (on N 27th St.)- you could move the location there and say you need to run some errands and it would be easier for your or something?

Also, puppy mills make me sad.

strawman

strawman

Sorry, but it's very likely a scam. If you google craiglist pet scam you'll find there are a hundred different pet scam styles. There are reports of people stealing dogs to sell on craigslist as well - the fact that it's out in the middle of nowhere should (and apparently does) set off all sorts of alarm bells.

You should also consider using tineye to verify that the photos of the animal are unique.

Shakey

Shakey

Also, puppy mills make me sad.
Same here.
I'd say screw them and keep looking at the local shelters. Petfinder.com is a good place to search local shelters.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Yeah...no. Looking at that place, the paranoia alarm is going off pretty hard. Unless you intend to plant some landmines before heading there for the meeting, find somewhere else.

Don't suppose you could find a reason to have a "random" police officer nearby, eh?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Has there ever been an occasion where someone asks if something's a scam and they're like "oh, I was worried over nothing!" and then it went perfectly?

Chibibar

Has there ever been an occasion where someone asks if something's a scam and they're like "oh, I was worried over nothing!" and then it went perfectly?
usually EBay stuff for me, but I have it sent to my PO Box.
In the past, there have been some Anime DVDs that seems to good to be true, but it turn out alright)

Espy

Espy

Puppy mill is my guess as well. Is it a weird place? You betcha. Is it because they plan to rob you? Probably not. It's just the kind of weird place someone stupid and sick enough to run a puppy mill would pick to keep you away from seeing the horrible conditions they keep these dogs in.
I would go, get their license plates and any info you can on them and call the cops (or animal control or whatever) and tell them you believe there is a puppy mill.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Take a gun and tazer

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is not safe out there, take one of these...

Krisken

Krisken

What the hell, dude. Do the right thing and get a dog from the Humane Society.

Dave

Dave

Believe it or not but I've had bad experiences lately with them. They lied (or at least exaggerated) about the last dog we got from there. She was aggressive and destructive.

But everything went well today. My paranoia was unfounded. Pictures to follow soon. (Sammi has the camera at a friend's house so I can't take any pictures right now.)

Krisken

Krisken

That's pretty sad. Our Humane Society has been fantastic and had a lot of safeguards in place to make sure everyone was happy with the adoption. Sorry to hear you had trouble with yours.

Dave

Dave

Last time was the first time we've had trouble. I mean, they've made shit up before (like saying our dog was a Weimaraner mix when he's a corgi/dachshund. But Lucy was big, aggressive towards other animals and destructive. We were her 7th house and we found out why pretty quickly.

Krisken

Krisken

When we got our new cat two weeks ago we were able to take her into another room and see how she reacted with us. Then to see how she'd react to another cat they brought in this fat gentle cat which came up and sniffed at her. She hissed a little and groaned but wasn't chasing him down or anything like that.

Seems strange that the Humane Society in your area would risk having so many returns by being dishonest. That can't look good for their staff.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Our local animal shelter is the killingest pet killer that ever killed a pet. There have been people whose chipped pets have been picked up, they were called, and they came in the next day to find their pets had already been destroyed. It's horrific.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Our local animal shelter is the killingest pet killer that ever killed a pet. There have been people whose chipped pets have been picked up, they were called, and they came in the next day to find their pets had already been destroyed. It's horrific.
That's Texas for ya.

fade

fade

The Lafayette, LA shelter is absolutely horrible. They kill more dogs than all us highways combined, I think. Similar stories. The "shelter"'s excuse is that they have no room and therefore no choice.
Added at: 00:32
Also, I got my favorite cat ever from Craigslist. It was free to a good home, though. And I called the cat's vet to verify. Then we had his nuts chopped off.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

It's nice to hear when Craigslist things go well.

As for me, it's about 50/50. I've never been fully scammed, but I've been "taken in" to at least almost be scammed. But, I've also made about $425, gotten a free couch, etc. as a direct result of Craigslist, so again, 50/50.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That's Texas for ya.
As the tea partiers cheer wildly.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

All my cats have been Shelter cats. I'd never go anywhere else. (inb4pussyjoke)

Dave

Dave

I want my daughter to bring the camera home so we can start with the pictures...

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm glad it worked out. I've also had 50/50 success with Craigslist. I sold my TV just before leaving Hawaii, and the guy who bought it was pretty cool. On the other hand, I tried to get a date using their personals and that set my creep-alert off.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I can't wait to see!! I'm glad it all went well for you.
I totally believe in getting dogs from shelters, thats where I got mine! =^^= We should have a pet thread or something to soak in the adorableness. Heh!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I go to breeders for my Dogs, and Shelters for my cats.

Cajungal

Cajungal

The Lafayette, LA shelter is absolutely horrible. They kill more dogs than all us highways combined, I think. Similar stories. The "shelter"'s excuse is that they have no room and therefore no choice.

It really is awful. :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

As the tea partiers cheer wildly.
Actually, most "tea partiers" hate it, because one of the primary reasons they kill so many pets is because they get a subsidy from the government based upon the number of animals they destroy. Government makes your life better, see? It turned a perfectly reputable shelter with some money problems into an abattoir of profit.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

It is not safe out there, take one of these...

Pretty dog Shaker! Yours? Purebred? They do make for a great security measure! Mine is a mutt...half German Shepherd and half Norwegian Elkhound. Currently an 80 lb. 11 month old puppy, was looking on petfinder.com but walked into a pet store and ended up taking him home. Dave glad things worked out well and congratulations, I've had problems with the Humane Society as well, odd meeting location make sure you have their contact information so you can get as much pet health and history as is possible on the parents. How is the new pup?

crabbattle.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Actually, most "tea partiers" hate it, because one of the primary reasons they kill so many pets is because they get a subsidy from the government based upon the number of animals they destroy. Government makes your life better, see? It turned a perfectly reputable shelter with some money problems into an abattoir of profit.
That's fucking sick.

Jax

Jax

A little late, but I'm curious: why would you purchase a pet through the craigslist instead of a pet shop? Is that normal, or were you maybe looking for a specific type?

(also, I'm not that familiar with Craigslists, I thought they were only for housing and jobs and such?)

Dave

Dave

Mostly because of $$ issues. Pet shops want $700+ and the Humane Society charges $150+.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

Jax you can find nearly anything on craigslist! They are local and free postings so you can see everything from pets to real estate to jobs or services and even relationships of long term or more immediate in nature. Have used craigslist to give away furniture and bikes the kids outgrew so that someone could get use from those items rather than throwing things away. Seen plenty of pet listings there as well from free mutts from unplanned litters to some decent breeders.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Mostly because of $$ issues. Pet shops want $700+ and the Humane Society charges $150+.
To be fair, at least the costs of the Humane Society go towards sheltering, feeding, and treating animals. Pet shops do it out of pure profit.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I use Craigslist on a monthly basis:

I've bought I dunno how many New Release games for less than $20, gaming systems less than $100, Computer parts for back up systems, furniture selling, and occasional odd job. Never had any serious problems, most transactions go through without a hitch.

Jax

Jax

Holy crap! Pets are thát expensive?
I think I'll stick with some goldfishes or something if I ever want pets..

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That was lowball figure. English Bulldogs, usually go for $2500 or more in a pet store for example.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

All the pet shops I've ever been to don't even sell dogs, because its inhumane to keep them that cooped up, and the cats they sell are through a connection with the local humane society. I don't know if I've just been to really nice pet shops or what.

But yeah, dogs are hella-expensive. Especially if you want to buy from a licensed breeder. Which I don't even get why people do, cause purebread dogs have way more health problems.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

All the pet shops I've ever been to don't even sell dogs, because its inhumane to keep them that cooped up, and the cats they sell are through a connection with the local humane society. I don't know if I've just been to really nice pet shops or what.

But yeah, dogs are hella-expensive. Especially if you want to buy from a licensed breeder. Which I don't even get why people do, cause purebread dogs have way more health problems.
It's a status thing.

As for dogs in pet shops, I don't see too many dogs being sold inside PetSmart. They do have adoption days and then you'll see a ton of dogs on leashes outside, and many puppies. That said, in mall pet shops, I often see dogs in cages. No toys, no food; just sitting there looking pathetic. Some as large as a grown golden retriever.

fade

fade

Purebreds, sure. The chain pet stores actually usually contract out to some local shelter. The PetSmart in Lafayette has cat adoptions for about 68 bucks last time I looked. Like checkeredhat said, no dogs directly. But they often do adoption days where some shelter (usually a small no-kill non-profit) comes in. Usually still under a 100 bucks every time I've seen it. Tons of pure bred labs. I spoke with one of the shelter people, and they say they get lots of pure labs in because don't spay or neuter them. But they go out all over the country fast.
Added at: 17:04
Whoa, ninja'd by QP.
Added at: 17:10
Also shut up about dogs. :(

Pouring a little of my 40 oz. water bowl out for Sarah :( Sixpackshaker's dog reminds me of her.
IMG_7878.jpg

Added at: 17:14
Also, this was Folly, the greatest dog that ever lived. I have no idea what even happened to her. She was fiercely loyal and protective of only me. Not my wife, which I thought was hilarious. She slept on my chest like a cat. One day, she was just gone. I was away from home for an internship, and I swear she got out and tried to follow me cross country. Yes, she's very thin here. This was right after her rescue.
follyface.jpg

Jay

Jay

It's funny, I passed by a pet shop this morning. Saw this cutest golden retriever puppy no more than a few weeks old. Looked at the price. "Purebred Golden Retriever" $2200. Asked her if he had any shots taken, etc... She said no.

I started laughing out loud in HER FACE.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Wow thats so expensive!!
Our humane society charges $80 and that pays for spay/neuter and all of their shots.

strawman

strawman

Wow thats so expensive!!
Our humane society charges $80 and that pays for spay/neuter and all of their shots.
That's what it is around here too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Shit, even a breeder only charged $400 for the purebred AKC certified German shepherd puppy we got when I was in high school.

But yeah, pound mutts ftw.

Dave

Dave

Okay, photo upload commence (I had a gig from 3 - midnight last night. Sorry this took so long.)

Here's Penny in her basket, first day home (Friday).

060.JPG

Playing with the head of a stuffed duck. Dallas stole the rest of it.

062.JPG

Rugs taste good.

064.JPG

Here she is with a statue that kinda freaks her out.

075.JPG

A series of shots where she's meeting the meeting the old guy, Dallas. He doesn't quite know what to think.

077.JPG078.JPG079.JPG081.JPG

And here's one where Dallas didn't want to be left out of the picture...

069.JPG
Added at: 09:20
Weird. Are the pictures showing as off for anyone else?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Added at: 09:20
Weird. Are the pictures showing as off for anyone else?
Yes, it's offset to the bottom, can only see the top 1/3 of picture clearly.

Dave

Dave

060.JPG
062.JPG
064.JPG
067.JPG
069.JPG
075.JPG
078.JPG
079.JPG
081.JPG

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Ouch, I think that response to adorableness might've been too much to the surgery scar :p

But in all seriousness, Penny's one cutesy-boop li'l puppy, yes she is, yes she is...

Jax

Jax

Puppyyyyyy!! OK now I wanna get a dog too.. :p

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Meh..... dogs.....

Zappit

Zappit

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Cuteness factor too way too high, Dave!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

oh, hai doggy!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dave's newest family member has DA CUTEST WITTLE FACE EVER! Yes, he does! Who'se got the cutest wittle face ever!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

How's the big one doing with the little newcomer?

Adam

Adammon

Meh..... dogs.....
+1. I'm a pussy man, myself.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Meh..... dogs.....
More like "Meh... Doggystyle..." amiright?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

More like "Meh... Doggystyle..." amiright?
No.

Terrik

Terrik

Dogs: The pet I'm not allergic to.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dogs: The pet I'm not allergic to.
Basically this for me. I enjoy Cats, but I am also VERY allergic to them.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

I enjoy cats too...they're delicious! Very cute pup Dave, hope you all have lots of fun!

Dave

Dave

Dave did you taxidermy your last puppy, put a bone in its mouth and a welcome sign around its neck?
Nope. Chuck Testa!!

Krisken

Krisken

Your puppy is adorable. I'm glad it worked out Dave.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yes, this thread.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

So how goes the house training and the chewable household items?

Dave

Dave

Chewing is not bad. She has a lot of toys that she uses. House training? That's a different story.

We brought her home exactly a week ago. She was 8 weeks old at the time. Since then she's had a couple accidents but only because we missed the fact that she was whining at the door to go out. She's never pooped in the house. It's actually quite amazing how smart she is and how fast she picked up on letting us know she had to go out. She's far and away the best dog I've ever had in that area.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Don't let the old-timer know that, Dave ;)

Also, I find the lack of puppy pictures on this page reprehensible. I trust you will correct the issue soon? :p

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

Very nice! We managed to house train Caribou in two weeks. Hope yours continues to go smoothly! Got to agree with the Ranger on this lack of pictures problem!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Very nice! We managed to house train Caribou in two weeks. Hope yours continues to go smoothly! Got to agree with the Ranger on this lack of pictures problem!

You do realize you now have to tell us the whole story, dontcha?

Tress

Tress

You do realize you now have to tell us the whole story, dontcha?
Given that "Caribou" is capitalized, it's not a stretch to assume the dog's name is Caribou. I don't think further explanation is needed. He house trained a dog in two weeks.

fade

fade

Weird. t's never taken me more than a couple of days to housetrain a dog. Usually you just take them out when they're going or about to go and they pick up on it faster than kids do...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Given that "Caribou" is capitalized, it's not a stretch to assume the dog's name is Caribou. I don't think further explanation is needed. He house trained a dog in two weeks.
Oh man... I was so hoping for a zany, whirlwind adventure involving a bad-tempered arctic deer sharing Neon's appartment.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh man... I was so hoping for a zany, whirlwind adventure involving a bad-tempered arctic deer sharing Neon's appartment.
Starring Cuba Gooding Jr.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Starring Cuba Gooding Jr.
Poor Cuba... his entire career died when he made that movie. To go from Jerry McQuire to that? *sigh*

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

You got it Tress but you took all the fun out of that one! Yep Caribou is my pup, there is a picture of him locked in an epic battle with a feisty blue crab on page two, well until he figured out that he could just step on the crab.

Now that Ranger would be hysterical! So far the only deer here have been on the grille before being brought into the house.