New Picture Thread

Picture dump!

At the top of the Sea to Sky Summit just outside of Squamish.
IMG_3154.JPG

View from the top:

IMG_3156.JPG

Requisite midpoint picture with the gf

IMG_3157.JPG

Took my sister, her bf and baby to the Aquarium for some family time.
IMG_3158.JPG

Looking at Beluga walls. She was a big fan.
IMG_3159.JPG

Damn squirmy babies.
IMG_3160.JPG

Me, the baby and my sister.
IMG_3162.JPG

Duck face for the Facebook profile.
IMG_3161.JPG

GasBandit

Staff member
In his defense, it's hard to do a proper duckface with a moustache, it almost always sticks the bristles up your nose.

@Adam How is your sister doing?
Arguably worse than I had originally thought. When talking to people, I've always told people she's at 99% which, judging by her ability to text, tweet and talk on the phone, she would be. Until you observe her in person and you see the deficiencies from the brain damage that are still being worked on and improved on (thankfully every day)

The majority of it revolves around her memory - or lack thereof. So much of our lives are built on little shortcuts of memory that make us who we are and our capacity to remember facts, details, and little eccentricities is really intertwined with our personalities. For her, the brain injury she suffered really damaged the memory center of her brain. She's only three weeks in to being able to remember her life from that point. She thought the last time she saw me was Christmas. The daily memory stuff is still presenting a problem. If you are cooking, for example, you have to remember that the stove is still on, where the ingredients are, how much water to mix in, etc. and she is still very unable to accomplish those more executive tasks. She can interact with you regularly, but small details may slip up and she may repeat a story that she already told you, yet she can tell you the entire plot line to FF7 with no issue. Because she has those struggles to maintain conversations, she's become even more introverted than she was originally, staying quite quiet during group conversations and rarely interjects. When she does interject, it's about a discussion point from a while ago.

The worst part is the time that she has lost most of all is the previous year, where she had her baby. She has mostly lost that maternal bond and it's really upsetting to see her trying to recreate it, but you can tell it's not 'naturally' there. Coupled with some physical deficiencies (She's totally able, just weak from being in a hospital bed for two months), there's a lack of tactile opportunity so it's even more difficult to bond again.

All of this sounds pretty bad, but I have to put it all in context:

Two Months Ago:
IMG_2921.JPG

Two Days Ago:
IMG_3148.jpg

I have my sister back, but it's still a long road to full recovery. Thankfully the young brain is so plastic that I have no doubts I'll see her upwards of 90%-95% recovered.

You interrupted either a domestic argument or a shady business deal. Lock your windows tonight just to be safe.
"domestic argument", sheesh, way to exaggerate. A little scuffle. Nothing serious. Nothing I'd throw dead mice into their bedroom over disturbing. :ninja:

It's mostly a white vanilla cake. The eye ridge and legs are made out of donut pieces and it's all frosted with whipped cream icing. Oh! The fire is made out of fruit leather (Fruit By The Foot actually) that I tore up and twisted back together.

It's mostly a white vanilla cake. The eye ridge and legs are made out of donut pieces and it's all frosted with whipped cream icing. Oh! The fire is made out of fruit leather (Fruit By The Foot actually) that I tore up and twisted back together.
It's cute! I made a dragon cake for Li'l Z's first birthday, but I decided to go the fondant route.
mushucake.jpg

I was going to make it 3D like yours, but time didn't allow for it. Since Li'l Z was born in the Year of the Dragon, a dragon cake will probably come up again. I may want to try your style. Did you use a bundt pan for the s-shape body?

I was going to make it 3D like yours, but time didn't allow for it. Since Li'l Z was born in the Year of the Dragon, a dragon cake will probably come up again. I may want to try your style. Did you use a bundt pan for the s-shape body?
It is a bundt pan. I had problems getting the pieces to line up though. My oven is crooked. But here are the directions I used. I wasn't brave enough to try the wings though I'm sure I could have done it.

I don't blame you for skipping the wings. I feel like there could be a better way to make them. And personally, I like your "fire" better than the rolled Starbursts. It looks like the original was breathing confetti.

I don't blame you for skipping the wings. I feel like there could be a better way to make them. And personally, I like your "fire" better than the rolled Starbursts. It looks like the original was breathing confetti.
I got lucky with that Fruit by the Foot. The box just happened to be "tie-dye" flavor with a few that were orange and cherry. Otherwise it would have just been red.

fade

Staff member
My wife used to run a cake business where I made the fondant figures. We used to try to talk people out of fondant coverings. It's really pretty, but it tastes like ass, and everyone ends up pulling it off and leaving it on the plate.

My wife used to run a cake business where I made the fondant figures. We used to try to talk people out of fondant coverings. It's really pretty, but it tastes like ass, and everyone ends up pulling it off and leaving it on the plate.
Marzipan >>> fondant

Road Trip!

My navigator brother let me down...

But we found one of our goals... a little round dance hall.

But this was really easy to find...

but it was hard to leave.