New Build, no visuals

OFFS, now when I start it up I don't get full power to the motherboard. The CPU fan tics for half a second and then shuts off. I'm about ready to give up and send everything back and get a prebuilt.

Ok, I'm not sure how, but I'm pretty sure there is a short somewhere. When I hit the power button I hear the fan start for a second and then it shuts off. There are no error lights on the motherboard and light indicating power is still lit up. Tomorrow since I have off of work I'm going to take it to a professional and have them look for the problem just to be sure. Hopefully it is the power supply causing the issue as that is pretty easy to replace and send back.

Doesn't sound like the power supply.
If the power supply isn't working properly, the motherboard usually won't let it come on.
More likely something still isn't plugged in or installed properly.

--Patrick
Heh, just another reason to get someone professional to look at it and fix it then. I tried it with just the motherboard, processor, and power supply again and the fans which ran before now don't run. Still that little light is lit up for the power on the motherboard.

Unless something in the cord from the power supply to the motherboard is crossed or not connecting anymore, I don't think it's something I'm doing. It's exactly the same as when it was running fine before (with all the fans and the cd rom and hard drive fans running). Now the fan for the power supply doesn't run and the processor fan is the only one that seems to get a quick smidgen of power before stopping. The light on the motherboard doesn't change at all, always staying lit.

Put everything back and hooked it all up. I'll take it in and hopefully someone will know what either I did wrong or what is causing the issue. You've all been very patient and I appreciate it immensely.

I'd add the memory back in and make sure the HSF is properly installed, if it still doesn't POST after that, then having someone else physically look at it would be a good next step.

--Patrick

I'd add the memory back in and make sure the HSF is properly installed, if it still doesn't POST after that, then having someone else physically look at it would be a good next step.

--Patrick
Yup, done and done and still in the same spot. Thanks PatrThom!

Thanks Poe! I found that site this morning and went through the steps but to no avail. After doing that, that's when I started having this new problem. I've torn my thumb up pretty good plugging and unplugging the power supply cables, so I figure now that I've bled for the computer and it's still not working it's time to get a professional to take a look!
As a software developer, I've been sacrificing blood to the hardware gods for more than a couple decades, to ensure that my builds went right. I swear, I cut/bang/scrape myself every time, and that's how I look at it every time I do.

As a software developer, I've been sacrificing blood to the hardware gods for more than a couple decades, to ensure that my builds went right. I swear, I cut/bang/scrape myself every time, and that's how I look at it every time I do.
When case manufacturers started advertising how they were taking steps to prevent injury to computer builders as a benefit, that was a time of great change.

--Patrick

Well, shoot, I'm sorry it's still not working. The pro will have components they can trade out successively to find the item that's holding you back, if it's a component problem, and will understand if something's not plugged in correctly.

Good luck!

Well, shoot, I'm sorry it's still not working. The pro will have components they can trade out successively to find the item that's holding you back, if it's a component problem, and will understand if something's not plugged in correctly.

Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah, that's my thought as well. Still, very frustrating! But at least I already had tomorrow off so things should be pretty smooth.

Update for anyone interested- Just dropped the PC off and explained the issue. General consensus was the most likely issue was a bent pin causing. Fella there said he's pretty good at straightening them out, so there is hope I won't have to send the motherboard back in and get a replacement.

Last edited:
Update for anyone interested- Just dropped the PC off and explained the issue. General consensus was the most likely issue was a bent pin causing. Fella there said he's pretty good at straightening them out, so there is hope I won't have to send the motherboard back in and get a replacement.
Don't feel bad, I've bent more pins than I care to admit. It's so easy to.

most likely issue was a bent pin
It's so easy to.
The newer LGA sockets aren't meant to have processors replaced over and over again like the older PGA ones. LGA is just more delicate. The trade-off for this is that the socket can have higher pin density which means the processor itself doesn't have to be unusually large if it has a lot of connections. Also since MLBs are usually less expensive than CPUs, replacing a MLB for a bent pin is usually cheaper than replacing the CPU.
With care, they can be straightened out, but it requires a steady hand and a good hands-free magnifier.

--Patrick

The newer LGA sockets aren't meant to have processors replaced over and over again like the older PGA ones. LGA is just more delicate. The trade-off for this is that the socket can have higher pin density which means the processor itself doesn't have to be unusually large if it has a lot of connections. Also since MLBs are usually less expensive than CPUs, replacing a MLB for a bent pin is usually cheaper than replacing the CPU.
With care, they can be straightened out, but it requires a steady hand and a good hands-free magnifier.

--Patrick
And then I gotta call the retailer and poker face my way through saying it came that way.

figmentPez

Staff member
Better that than the MB or CPU.
I dunno, a bad power supply can take out other components. One of my computer builds I had a stick of RAM, a hard drive, and a video card that had to be replaced before the PSU stopped working, in retrospect I suspect the power supply caused the other components to fail.

Yes, but that should only happen with cheap power supplies. The atx specification for power supplies requires that they not damage the computer, or emit smoke or loud noises when they fail.

Of course you don't have to follow the spec, but I've only ever experienced bad issues with cheap power supplies.

But even the best supplies might not prevent specific types of power supply related failures.

And I probably should get a fresh duster can on the way home from work in the morning. :p
Wisdom there!

Also, the worst I ever saw was a computer where a spider had made a nice web in the bottom of it. Was quite "toasty" there near, but not TOO near the PSU. More regular cleaning happened after that. And no, not my computer. But somebody I knew who brought me in as "tech support" to just take a look before anything went wrong.

I'm glad I've never had a spider.