Votes: 24 96.0%
  • Other (comments in thread)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
There's an addon that I am looking at called Nested Comments.

Demo here.

What do you think? I need to know your thoughts ASAP as the price goes up soon.

I don't think it's necessary, our current system of posts in sequence serves its purpose admirably, no need to spend money fixing something that's far from broken.

Nope. That's for a comment section on articles, not a discussion forum. If we need to respond directly to someone, we can quote them.

Yeah, I can probably do without nested comments. Put me in the "meh if you do, but better if you don't" category.

Put me in the "Boo Hiss!" section please. I like my threads the way they are and those kids and their comments better stay off my thread lawn.

The only thing which made me vote "definite no" rather than "not recommended" is that I don't see a reason for the forum hierarchy to go from its current format of:
THREAD
post​
post​
post​
THREAD
post​
post​
post​
post​

...to:

THREAD
post​
subpost​
post​
subpost​
sub-subpost​
subpost​
sub-subpost​
post​
subpost​
THREAD
post​
charlie​
subcharlie​
sub-subcharlie​
sub-subcharlie​
sub-sub-subcharlie​
sub-subcharlie​
sub-subcharlie​
subcharlie​
sub-subcharlie​
sub-subcharlie​
sub-sub-subcharlie​
sub-sub-subcharlie​
sub-sub-subcharlie​
sub-sub-subcharlie​
sub-subcharlie​
subcharlie​
subcharlie​
subcharlie​
subcharlie​
subcharlie​
subpost​
sub-subpost​
sub-hellone1stillreadinghere?​

--Patrick

Didn't we used to have that in a former forum place? I vaguely remember one thread where people kept replying/nesting the previous poster for like 20+ times in a row.
Not something you want on a regular basis, but that one was pretty hilarious :rolleyes:

GasBandit

Staff member
Didn't we used to have that in a former forum place? I vaguely remember one thread where people kept replying/nesting the previous poster for like 20+ times in a row.
Not something you want on a regular basis, but that one was pretty hilarious :rolleyes:
It was slightly different, imbedding and indenting quotes as this one does, but the difference is it would also embed quotes within quotes within quotes, building "quote pyramids."

The only forum I've seen lately that used "quotes staircase" style is techreport, and that's because it's really used more as a comments section at the bottom of articles. Back in the day, on a forum I frequented around 1999 for the Rallos Zek everquest server's roleplaying group, the "staircase" reply structure was used, and while it made it very easy to follow who was talking to who in small conversations, popular threads very quickly became an incredible mess.

Threading vs linear posting is the issue here. We have threads which provides a single place for each discussion - it may wander, but it already separate from the other noise in the forum. We have linear posting, which makes it easy to figure out what's unread in any given thread.

In a strictly linear situation, such as newsgroup or email list, nested quoting makes a lot of sense (though email and newsreaders which attempt the thread such lists help here).

In a strictly thread situation (reddit, I'm looking at you) you have a really difficult time figuring out which comments are new without also rereading comments you read minutes or hours ago (though, not being a redditor, they probably have tools to deal with this more easily).

While I used to be a proponent of nested threads here ( I whined when we switched) I can do it by hand without difficulty if I find I need to, and those who don't know any better don't annoy us with needless nesting simply because they don't want to , or know they should, trim after they hit reply.

In a strictly thread situation (reddit, I'm looking at you) you have a really difficult time figuring out which comments are new without also rereading comments you read minutes or hours ago (though, not being a redditor, they probably have tools to deal with this more easily).
They have the Reddit Enhancement Suite (RES), which helps with that. But even with that, once a post gets large enough, it just devolves into an ungainly mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.