Nerdy Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my friends ask me whats up I usually go into a whole thing on what is really up and how it all depends on your perspective. I think I tend to annoy them but I find things like that fascinating to think about.

I always hated in the different Star Trek shows, when the star-ship enters orbit and the crew mentions how they should land on the western continent, or northern .... whatever.

Directions do not really exist...

Umm.. they're conventions. They decide what's north, what's south, what's west so they can.. y'know.. decide where they are.

That's entirely reasonable.

In a similar vein to the Star Trek continents 'problem,' I have an issue with the designs of most space ships in fiction. They look sleek, and boat-inspired (inb4 picture of Space Battleship Yamoto), a lot of the times, which are both unnecessary.

Also, space battles irritate me. It occurs to me that most fighting would occur at a distance, with whoever has the farthest range having the upper hand. Also, ships should be designed to have the smallest shoot-at-able surface area as possible, while still bringing to bear as many guns as possible. This leads me to imagine very long ships, which look like stars, or asterixes when viewed from the front. They would always be positioned to be pointing at the enemy while in battle.

fade

Staff member
Probably would have to have lots of small engines distributed around something like that. There's no atmospheric effects, but inertia and angular momentum still exist. Turning something like that would be a pain.

Also, they have a very weak point tactically in that they can encounter enemies coming from different angles. But the angular momentum seems worse. Something like a sphere or ellipsoid or a cube or whatever ftw. Or, better, whatever minimizes Surface/volume.

In a similar vein to the Star Trek continents 'problem,' I have an issue with the designs of most space ships in fiction. They look sleek, and boat-inspired (inb4 picture of Space Battleship Yamoto), a lot of the times, which are both unnecessary.
You have no way of knowing what aspects of ship design are needed to meet the demands of interstellar travel.

ElJuski

Staff member
HA took me a minute BUT I GOT IT.

<3 Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I only got it because I learned of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs from Rock Band.

I've been meaning to get more of their stuff ever since.[/QUOTE]

Their latest album "It's Blitz!" is my favorite. The main single "Zero" you can probably find easy on youtube, and is awesome.[/QUOTE]

HUMPH. Their best was their first! Fever to Tell is a fucking dirty, new-york pop-punk inspired mess of wails. Half those tracks stink of sex, drugs and rock n' roll.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT ASSHOLES

AND OPINIONS

S

Soliloquy

When I was younger, I had the hardest time convincing my friends that Americans do, in fact, have an accent that sounds funny to people in other countries.

One of them was convinced that since American culture was a combination of so many different cultures, Americans would sound normal to everyone.

I never did manage to convince those guys...

Cajungal

Staff member
A Rush song came on the radio while my boyfriend was coaching, and someone asked, "Is someone playing Rock Band nearby?

It's funny to think how a lot of younger people get acquainted with older music through that kind of medium. Not nerdy, maybe, but interesting to me.

ElJuski

Staff member
When I was younger, I had the hardest time convincing my friends that Americans do, in fact, have an accent that sounds funny to people in other countries.

One of them was convinced that since American culture was a combination of so many different cultures, Americans would sound normal to everyone.

On my roadtrip back in May it was hilarious to hear people saying that WE had accents. Chicago ones, to boot, although the suburbs have softened those barbs way long ago.

You have no way of knowing what aspects of ship design are needed to meet the demands of interstellar travel.[/QUOTE]

How about The Bebop from the anime Cowboy Bebop. It is literally a space-faring fishing trawler. :D

S

Soliloquy

On my roadtrip back in May it was hilarious to hear people saying that WE had accents. Chicago ones, to boot, although the suburbs have softened those barbs way long ago.[/QUOTE]

Man, I know how that feels.

I spent a semester in London, and there were times when I actually had to fake a British accent in order to be understood.

Me: "Do you know where I can find a watch?"
Clerk: "A what?"
Me: "A watch. I want to buy a watch."
Clerk: "I'm sorry, a what?"
Me: "A, uh... a wotch."
Clerk: "Oh, a wotch! Try Argos."
Me: "I'm sorry, where?"

Ah, it was a fun semester.

You have no way of knowing what aspects of ship design are needed to meet the demands of interstellar travel.[/QUOTE]

I guess not, but does anyone?

What I'm saying is that starship designs are based more off of style and/or familiarity than any lengthy pondering regarding what the best design would be as far as we know.

I mean, I understand that it's fiction, and that concessions need to be made. It doesn't bother me really, just like it doesn't bother me that the English they speak in Star Trek is altogether too recognizable for something that is spoken a few centuries hence. But it's something I'd like to see considered more.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

How about The Bebop from the anime Cowboy Bebop. It is literally a space-faring fishing trawler. :D
The Bebop == One of my favorite fictional vessels of all time

To be fair, those are the inner workings of the body. The characters in the show are the cells.

:p

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

but great show anyway

G

Gill Kaiser

In a similar vein to the OP, what about the fact that water is made from hydrogen, a highly inflammable gas, and oxygen, the high reactive gas required for combustion, yet as a compound it is relatively inert.

In a similar vein to the OP, what about the fact that water is made from hydrogen, a highly inflammable gas, and oxygen, the high reactive gas required for combustion, yet as a compound it is relatively inert.
Not just inert, it will put out most types of fires. Flammable + Flammable = Fire Retardant

Re: Water and salt - Part of that is because the two things are so interested in combining with one another that they don't want to let go to combine with anything else. That's why salt (an ionic solid) takes such a high temperature to melt and why you have to rip water (a covalent one) apart with electricity (electrolysis) to get it back to its component parts.

Me, I've always wondered just exactly how violent the reaction between Cesium (or Francium!) and Flourine would be. Their respective electronegativities are so far apart that it promises to be particularly vigorous.

Yes, I'm a nerd. Knowing chemistry is fun. Don't believe me? Remember this--don't clean aluminum with muratic (hydrochloric) acid. Trust me on this one.

--Patrick

To be fair, those are the inner workings of the body. The characters in the show are the cells.

:p

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

but great show anyway
Except when they explain how cells work, you SMARTPANTS.

G

Gill Kaiser

Re: Water and salt - Part of that is because the two things are so interested in combining with one another that they don't want to let go to combine with anything else. That's why salt (an ionic solid) takes such a high temperature to melt and why you have to rip water (a covalent one) apart with electricity (electrolysis) to get it back to its component parts.

Me, I've always wondered just exactly how violent the reaction between Cesium (or Francium!) and Flourine would be. Their respective electronegativities are so far apart that it promises to be particularly vigorous.

Yes, I'm a nerd. Knowing chemistry is fun. Don't believe me? Remember this--don't clean aluminum with muratic (hydrochloric) acid. Trust me on this one.

--Patrick
This stuff takes me back half a decade to when I did my chemistry A-level. :)

I can only imagine how logistically difficult it would be to set up a fluorine/francium reaction. The subsequent explosion would probably be one of the most powerful chemical reactions possible, presumably.

I can only imagine how logistically difficult it would be to set up a fluorine/francium reaction. The subsequent explosion would probably be one of the most powerful chemical reactions possible, presumably.
And it's videos like this one that really w(h)et my appetite.

--Patrick

S

Soliloquy

--Patrick[/QUOTE]

I remember reading somewhere that the explosions in that video were faked.

I

Iaculus

--Patrick[/quote]

I remember reading somewhere that the explosions in that video were faked.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't need much faking, depending on the amount of caesium they used. I've seen that stuff in action before, and even small lumps can make a big boom.

fade

Staff member
That dude's all like XTREME!! science. I'm surprised he didn't skateboard onto the set. Still cool, though. Imagine injecting someone with a couple of grains of cesium coated with that same plastic that is used in medicine capsules. Or feeding it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.