Export thread

Nerdy Musings

Calleja

Calleja

Have you ever thought how weird it is that you take two of the most dangerous elements known to man: Sodium which fucking EXPLODES in mere contact with water and Chloride which would kill you with half a sniff... combine them and

Oh, yeah, please pass the salt!

Oh, this soup needs more POISON and BOMB.

Oh, the ocean, with it's infinitely high concentration of TOXIC EXPLOSIVE!

.... the world is so weird if you look at it from any other angle, isn't it?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

you sweat poison and explosives

ElJuski

ElJuski

you also smoke way too much pot Calleja

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

^
|

:uhhuh:

Cajungal

Cajungal

I dunno, I think about things like that without the aid of drugs.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

still Juski, that made me laugh :D

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That's cause you're a natural Space Cadet there Cajun. :slywink:

@Li3n

@Li3n

.... the world is so weird if you look at it from any other angle, isn't it?
The world is weird period. You've just gotten used to the normal angle you see it from.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That's cause you're a natural Space Cadet there Cajun. :slywink:
:D My culinary school buddies called me 'natural stoner.'

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I mentioned this before in another thread, but it's REALLY cool to look at your hands really really close until the little lines and creases look like land.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Unfortunately I couldn't find the line about we being God's salt. And that one day God is going to eat us.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

What if C-A-T... really spelled... dog?

fade

fade

I like thinking about personal perception and brain chemistry. What if what blue looks like to me is the way hot pink looks like to you? If we did the ol' sci-fi consciousness swap, would the world look all LSD trippy through your visual hardware?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Don Draper had a really good explanation about what blue looks, but I forgot it. :(

Calleja

Calleja

I actually haven't smoked pot in 5 weeks now, I just sometimes think about weird stuff when I'm on the toilet.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I just sometimes think about weird stuff when I'm on the pot.
:uhhuh:

Calleja

Calleja

No, seriously, I had to promise my dad I wouldn't smoke while I lived at home after he sort of caught me.

I'm obviously now looking to move to Mexico City.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

When you think about it, sweat contains a mild acid. I've had personal experience of that, since I have quite sweaty palms.

My mouse looks like it's been slowly roasted with a torch.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Quit getting caught smoking by your dad! >: |

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Wait, whuh?

Hey, Calleja, quick question: La Malinche, how do people see this 16th-century lady in Mexico? Kinda curious as it touches on me Master's Thesis...

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

When you think about it, sweat contains a mild acid. I've had personal experience of that, since I have quite sweaty palms.

My mouse looks like it's been slowly roasted with a torch.
You haven't seen how I dissolve undershirt's armpits...

Troll

Troll

LittleSin

LittleSin

Weird, it's hardly recognizable like that!

Anyways, bananas have been known to explode.

Rob King

Rob King

RE: Upside-down world. I love that!

Just had to explain to my cousin that that picture was not how the world 'would' look if it were upside-down. I'm trying to get through his head that the world is neither 'upside down' or 'rightside up' It just is, and we decide how we represent it ...

Gurrg, prespectivefail.

Pojodan

What I'd like is a sideways world map, with, say, Africa at the top and Antartica in the middle.

Rob King

Rob King

Also, I'm sure I shared my nerdy musing before, but I might as well put it here too.

A few months ago I realized that if some calamity were to befall the earth, and the human race were wiped out, it would only be a matter of time before every bowling pin in the world fell over. Whether by critters knocking them over, or wind or rain, or something else, there would come a point where no bowling pin in the world stood vertical.

Kitty Sinatra

That would be the uber-strike, Rob.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

could we somehow make an earthquake strong enough and worldwide enough to knock over all the bowling pins?

Bubble181

Bubble181

And here's a Peters Projection of the globe - showing all countries with the area size, rather than angles, being correct. We suddenly look mighty insignificant :-P

Calleja

Calleja

Wow, Mexico's a long country.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Wow, Mexico's a long country.
that's what she said

fade

fade

We talk a lot about map projections in the geology classes. It seems to be an endless source of confusion for students. The upside down map always rocks people's worlds. Partly because we think of north as up, and partly because the continental weight distribution feels upside down.

The Pacific-centered map tends to bother students, too:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Whoever put "yeah yeah yeahs?" as a tag is my hero.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Whoever put "yeah yeah yeahs?" as a tag is my hero.
:humble:

ElJuski

ElJuski

HA took me a minute BUT I GOT IT.

<3 Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Hylian

Hylian

When my friends ask me whats up I usually go into a whole thing on what is really up and how it all depends on your perspective. I think I tend to annoy them but I find things like that fascinating to think about.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I always hated in the different Star Trek shows, when the star-ship enters orbit and the crew mentions how they should land on the western continent, or northern .... whatever.

Directions do not really exist...

Calleja

Calleja

Umm.. they're conventions. They decide what's north, what's south, what's west so they can.. y'know.. decide where they are.

That's entirely reasonable.

Rob King

Rob King

<3 Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I only got it because I learned of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs from Rock Band.

I've been meaning to get more of their stuff ever since.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

The main reason I want to see Where the Wild Things Are? Karen O.

Rob King

Rob King

In a similar vein to the Star Trek continents 'problem,' I have an issue with the designs of most space ships in fiction. They look sleek, and boat-inspired (inb4 picture of Space Battleship Yamoto), a lot of the times, which are both unnecessary.

Also, space battles irritate me. It occurs to me that most fighting would occur at a distance, with whoever has the farthest range having the upper hand. Also, ships should be designed to have the smallest shoot-at-able surface area as possible, while still bringing to bear as many guns as possible. This leads me to imagine very long ships, which look like stars, or asterixes when viewed from the front. They would always be positioned to be pointing at the enemy while in battle.

fade

fade

Probably would have to have lots of small engines distributed around something like that. There's no atmospheric effects, but inertia and angular momentum still exist. Turning something like that would be a pain.

tegid

tegid

Also, they have a very weak point tactically in that they can encounter enemies coming from different angles. But the angular momentum seems worse. Something like a sphere or ellipsoid or a cube or whatever ftw. Or, better, whatever minimizes Surface/volume.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

<3 Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I've been meaning to get more of their stuff ever since.[/QUOTE]

Their latest album "It's Blitz!" is my favorite. The main single "Zero" you can probably find easy on youtube, and is awesome.

Jake

Jake

In a similar vein to the Star Trek continents 'problem,' I have an issue with the designs of most space ships in fiction. They look sleek, and boat-inspired (inb4 picture of Space Battleship Yamoto), a lot of the times, which are both unnecessary.
You have no way of knowing what aspects of ship design are needed to meet the demands of interstellar travel.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I'm always amazed when I think about the human body and all of the different substances it produces.

ElJuski

ElJuski

<3 Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I've been meaning to get more of their stuff ever since.[/QUOTE]

Their latest album "It's Blitz!" is my favorite. The main single "Zero" you can probably find easy on youtube, and is awesome.[/QUOTE]

HUMPH. Their best was their first! Fever to Tell is a fucking dirty, new-york pop-punk inspired mess of wails. Half those tracks stink of sex, drugs and rock n' roll.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT ASSHOLES

AND OPINIONS

Troll

Troll

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT ASSHOLES

AND OPINIONS
Yours stink?

tegid

tegid

I'm always amazed when I think about the human body and all of the different substances it produces.
Me too, but now that I've been studying a bit the inner workings of the cell, I'm even more amazed by them.

Soliloquy

When I was younger, I had the hardest time convincing my friends that Americans do, in fact, have an accent that sounds funny to people in other countries.

One of them was convinced that since American culture was a combination of so many different cultures, Americans would sound normal to everyone.

I never did manage to convince those guys...

Cajungal

Cajungal

A Rush song came on the radio while my boyfriend was coaching, and someone asked, "Is someone playing Rock Band nearby?

It's funny to think how a lot of younger people get acquainted with older music through that kind of medium. Not nerdy, maybe, but interesting to me.

ElJuski

ElJuski

When I was younger, I had the hardest time convincing my friends that Americans do, in fact, have an accent that sounds funny to people in other countries.

One of them was convinced that since American culture was a combination of so many different cultures, Americans would sound normal to everyone.

On my roadtrip back in May it was hilarious to hear people saying that WE had accents. Chicago ones, to boot, although the suburbs have softened those barbs way long ago.

General Specific

General Specific

You have no way of knowing what aspects of ship design are needed to meet the demands of interstellar travel.[/QUOTE]

How about The Bebop from the anime Cowboy Bebop. It is literally a space-faring fishing trawler. :D

Soliloquy

On my roadtrip back in May it was hilarious to hear people saying that WE had accents. Chicago ones, to boot, although the suburbs have softened those barbs way long ago.[/QUOTE]

Man, I know how that feels.

I spent a semester in London, and there were times when I actually had to fake a British accent in order to be understood.

Me: "Do you know where I can find a watch?"
Clerk: "A what?"
Me: "A watch. I want to buy a watch."
Clerk: "I'm sorry, a what?"
Me: "A, uh... a wotch."
Clerk: "Oh, a wotch! Try Argos."
Me: "I'm sorry, where?"

Ah, it was a fun semester.

Rob King

Rob King

You have no way of knowing what aspects of ship design are needed to meet the demands of interstellar travel.[/QUOTE]

I guess not, but does anyone?

What I'm saying is that starship designs are based more off of style and/or familiarity than any lengthy pondering regarding what the best design would be as far as we know.

I mean, I understand that it's fiction, and that concessions need to be made. It doesn't bother me really, just like it doesn't bother me that the English they speak in Star Trek is altogether too recognizable for something that is spoken a few centuries hence. But it's something I'd like to see considered more.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

How about The Bebop from the anime Cowboy Bebop. It is literally a space-faring fishing trawler. :D
The Bebop == One of my favorite fictional vessels of all time

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Me too, but now that I've been studying a bit the inner workings of the cell, I'm even more amazed by them.[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed at the inner workings of the cell and almost everything I know about them comes from here:

tegid

tegid

To be fair, those are the inner workings of the body. The characters in the show are the cells.

:p

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

but great show anyway

Jake

Jake

If it's bigger than a cell, I don't wanna know about it.

Gill Kaiser

In a similar vein to the OP, what about the fact that water is made from hydrogen, a highly inflammable gas, and oxygen, the high reactive gas required for combustion, yet as a compound it is relatively inert.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

In a similar vein to the OP, what about the fact that water is made from hydrogen, a highly inflammable gas, and oxygen, the high reactive gas required for combustion, yet as a compound it is relatively inert.
Not just inert, it will put out most types of fires. Flammable + Flammable = Fire Retardant

PatrThom

PatrThom

Re: Water and salt - Part of that is because the two things are so interested in combining with one another that they don't want to let go to combine with anything else. That's why salt (an ionic solid) takes such a high temperature to melt and why you have to rip water (a covalent one) apart with electricity (electrolysis) to get it back to its component parts.

Me, I've always wondered just exactly how violent the reaction between Cesium (or Francium!) and Flourine would be. Their respective electronegativities are so far apart that it promises to be particularly vigorous.

Yes, I'm a nerd. Knowing chemistry is fun. Don't believe me? Remember this--don't clean aluminum with muratic (hydrochloric) acid. Trust me on this one.

--Patrick

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

To be fair, those are the inner workings of the body. The characters in the show are the cells.

:p

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

but great show anyway
Except when they explain how cells work, you SMARTPANTS.

Gill Kaiser

Re: Water and salt - Part of that is because the two things are so interested in combining with one another that they don't want to let go to combine with anything else. That's why salt (an ionic solid) takes such a high temperature to melt and why you have to rip water (a covalent one) apart with electricity (electrolysis) to get it back to its component parts.

Me, I've always wondered just exactly how violent the reaction between Cesium (or Francium!) and Flourine would be. Their respective electronegativities are so far apart that it promises to be particularly vigorous.

Yes, I'm a nerd. Knowing chemistry is fun. Don't believe me? Remember this--don't clean aluminum with muratic (hydrochloric) acid. Trust me on this one.

--Patrick
This stuff takes me back half a decade to when I did my chemistry A-level. :)

I can only imagine how logistically difficult it would be to set up a fluorine/francium reaction. The subsequent explosion would probably be one of the most powerful chemical reactions possible, presumably.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can only imagine how logistically difficult it would be to set up a fluorine/francium reaction. The subsequent explosion would probably be one of the most powerful chemical reactions possible, presumably.
And it's videos like this one that really w(h)et my appetite.

--Patrick

Soliloquy

--Patrick[/QUOTE]

I remember reading somewhere that the explosions in that video were faked.

Iaculus

--Patrick[/quote]

I remember reading somewhere that the explosions in that video were faked.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't need much faking, depending on the amount of caesium they used. I've seen that stuff in action before, and even small lumps can make a big boom.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Fake or no, my appetite remains unsated.

--Patrick

fade

fade

That dude's all like XTREME!! science. I'm surprised he didn't skateboard onto the set. Still cool, though. Imagine injecting someone with a couple of grains of cesium coated with that same plastic that is used in medicine capsules. Or feeding it to them.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yes, they were faked. Here is a link to video of what really happens when alkali metals are exposed to water:
Alkali Metal Bangs from theodoregray.com

PatrThom

PatrThom

Heh. I've seen that guy's sodium party articles before. Obviously, then, what we need is to break open an ampule of powdered cesium to give us more surface area. This also explains why chemists like to do their experiments in round mols of a substance rather than by equal masses.

--Patrick

Soliloquy

Yes, they were faked. Here is a link to video of what really happens when alkali metals are exposed to water:
Alkali Metal Bangs from theodoregray.com[/QUOTE]

Now that's just disappointing.

Kitty Sinatra

That's what she said

Iaculus

Explain to me, then, how my Chemistry teacher managed to wreck our fume cabinet and singe off part of his moustache with some inadvisably-applied caesium. Yeah, he was kind of nuts.

Those guys just weren't trying hard enough.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Unfortunately I couldn't find the line about we being God's salt. And that one day God is going to eat us.
HOLY SMURF JASON SEGAL WAS IN THAT?!
I clearly haven't seen that movie in a really long time.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Explain to me, then, how my Chemistry teacher managed to wreck our fume cabinet and singe off part of his moustache with some inadvisably-applied caesium. Yeah, he was kind of nuts.

Those guys just weren't trying hard enough.
Put that explosion in a confined space like a fume cabinet.

Just a little gasoline in the wash once blew the back door off my parents' house. The explosion was only as loud as a slamming door, but blew two doors through their door jambs. It also blew the top 2 inches off of the washer.