Nerdy Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever thought how weird it is that you take two of the most dangerous elements known to man: Sodium which fucking EXPLODES in mere contact with water and Chloride which would kill you with half a sniff... combine them and

Oh, yeah, please pass the salt!

Oh, this soup needs more POISON and BOMB.

Oh, the ocean, with it's infinitely high concentration of TOXIC EXPLOSIVE!

.... the world is so weird if you look at it from any other angle, isn't it?

Cajungal

Staff member
I dunno, I think about things like that without the aid of drugs.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

still Juski, that made me laugh :D

Cajungal

Staff member
I mentioned this before in another thread, but it's REALLY cool to look at your hands really really close until the little lines and creases look like land.

ElJuski

Staff member

Unfortunately I couldn't find the line about we being God's salt. And that one day God is going to eat us.

fade

Staff member
I like thinking about personal perception and brain chemistry. What if what blue looks like to me is the way hot pink looks like to you? If we did the ol' sci-fi consciousness swap, would the world look all LSD trippy through your visual hardware?

I actually haven't smoked pot in 5 weeks now, I just sometimes think about weird stuff when I'm on the toilet.

No, seriously, I had to promise my dad I wouldn't smoke while I lived at home after he sort of caught me.

I'm obviously now looking to move to Mexico City.

North_Ranger

Staff member
When you think about it, sweat contains a mild acid. I've had personal experience of that, since I have quite sweaty palms.

My mouse looks like it's been slowly roasted with a torch.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Wait, whuh?

Hey, Calleja, quick question: La Malinche, how do people see this 16th-century lady in Mexico? Kinda curious as it touches on me Master's Thesis...

RE: Upside-down world. I love that!

Just had to explain to my cousin that that picture was not how the world 'would' look if it were upside-down. I'm trying to get through his head that the world is neither 'upside down' or 'rightside up' It just is, and we decide how we represent it ...

Gurrg, prespectivefail.

P

Pojodan

What I'd like is a sideways world map, with, say, Africa at the top and Antartica in the middle.

Also, I'm sure I shared my nerdy musing before, but I might as well put it here too.

A few months ago I realized that if some calamity were to befall the earth, and the human race were wiped out, it would only be a matter of time before every bowling pin in the world fell over. Whether by critters knocking them over, or wind or rain, or something else, there would come a point where no bowling pin in the world stood vertical.

And here's a Peters Projection of the globe - showing all countries with the area size, rather than angles, being correct. We suddenly look mighty insignificant :-P

fade

Staff member
We talk a lot about map projections in the geology classes. It seems to be an endless source of confusion for students. The upside down map always rocks people's worlds. Partly because we think of north as up, and partly because the continental weight distribution feels upside down.

The Pacific-centered map tends to bother students, too:

Status
Not open for further replies.