Need AA or AAA batteries?

GasBandit

Staff member
So it would seem Best Buy has decided to discontinue their house brand of batteries, then?

--Patrick
Judging from the comments on the item, it's not the first time they've dropped the price on this, though it is the first time it has gone this low. Last time it was apparently $8.

The best guess I have is smoke detectors, but I'd be surprised if you had 12 of those in your home.
Yes, smoke detectors, but not for my house.
The house I'm staying in on vacation has coincidentally started to beep while I'm there (it wasn't beeping last night, but now it is), and the owner is away, and I forgot to get a housewarming gift, so my do-something-nice will probably end up being that I will replace all the batteries in the smoke detectors.

And, like many things, they are cheaper by the dozen.
He eats them. Like any good robot.
Hah!
These days, I barely even lick 'em. I have a multimeter now. It's even true-RMS (though it's not a Fluke).

--Patrick

IMG_1294.JPG

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[DOUBLEPOST=1502334973,1502334767][/DOUBLEPOST]I think the extech 421502 thermometer (clean orange one near the top) is the only one I could claim calibration on and that only because it's new, which is good since I used it to calibrate a medical device.

I think the extech 421502 thermometer (clean orange one near the top) is the only one I could claim calibration on and that only because it's new, which is good since I used it to calibrate a medical device.

Ooooh I'm dying again!

(Hoboken Penquin)

Last edited:
Also, lest you cringe so completely you fold into a black hole, the "calibration" I had to do was to make the off the shelf PID controllers a little better. Honestly they were looking for +/- 2C, and didn't want to spend the money to get more precision for their use. Otherwise these items are for development use, mostly targeting digital systems. All the real stuff happens in a better lab with better equipment when needed.

fade

Staff member
What kind of refrigerator do you have?! Never had one that runs on 220. The dryer and the welder do.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't believe I just listened to that whole song.
BaybuhbaybuhbaybuhbaybuhbaybuhPLEEEEEEZ

XD

At least you were able to stop there, and didn't follow the links to other great Mojo Nixon classics such as:

"Tie My Pecker To My Leg"
"Stuffin Martha's Muffin"
"I Ain't Gonna Piss In No Jar"
"Debbie Gibson is Pregnant with my Two Headed Love Child"[DOUBLEPOST=1502409576,1502409390][/DOUBLEPOST]
What kind of refrigerator do you have?! Never had one that runs on 220. The dryer and the welder do.
Granted, it's not as common as it used to be (like when that song was written). But my family had 220v refrigerators up until the early 90s.

fade

Staff member
I've never even seen a house with a 220 outlet back there. Even older houses.[DOUBLEPOST=1502410643,1502410352][/DOUBLEPOST]I believe you, just surprised.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've never even seen a house with a 220 outlet back there. Even older houses.[DOUBLEPOST=1502410643,1502410352][/DOUBLEPOST]I believe you, just surprised.
Get a load of this website -

"Most kitchen appliances require a 220V power line, mainly because they are heavy duty appliances and require enough electrical power in order to run. This includes your cooking appliances, namely the electric stove and the microwave oven. Some (not all) electric thermos also require 220V, especially if they are made in foreign countries (plugging it in a 110V socket will take a long time for the water to heat up hot enough for a decent cup of coffee – if it heats up at all). Refrigerators and heavy duty freezers will also require a 220V line, and so will dishwashers and disposal units (although the last two can be wired on a single circuit)."

That guy's kitchen is an electric nightmare.

Yeah, that's just weird.

Commercial kitchens - absolutely. Residential kitchens, no. I would LOVE to have a 220V microwave that had more than 1100W cooking power, but I've found even those typically restrict power output, you have to go commercial to get something more. That said, the panasonic inverter microwaves are about the highest actual heat delivery to the food I've found in the consumer 120V outlet market.

The only appliances typically sold to residential customers that typically have 220/240 in the US are the stove and the oven. Even those, sadly, are typically limited to a maximum of 4kw power.

I'd be interested in even seeing a listing in a major home store's website for a 220/240 fridge - chances are we could use one. I'm sure high end customers in high end homes end up using commercial equipment that probably does use 220/240, but I've yet to see one in the residential market that does.

Maybe there are area in the country that historically used 220/240 for some kitchen appliances? Of course go across the ocean to Europe where everything is 220 and everything will be 220. I'd say it's rare in the US.

But the one item I think I'd seriously consider is a commercial dishwasher. Run a full two rack load in 18 minutes? Yes, please.

That and a soft serve machine, and a slushie machine...

figmentPez

Staff member
I see deals on alkaline batteries from time to time, and my younger self goes "must have AAs!" (because I'm still sad about how little I got to use my RC car). Then I remember that I use low self-discharge NiCd or LiIon for everything these days, and buying alkalines would be a waste for me.

My grandfather still has an Amana "Radar Range" in his workshop :D
We just turned one in to the recycling place last year. Still worked, too. One of the recycling guys was practically salivating at the prospect of extracting the magnetron.

--Patrick