My reaction when...

Cranky is away visiting family in AL.
Father-in-law's not feeling great, so we can't travel.
Sistern-in-law's dinner fell through because she got scheduled for surgery today and will be in no shape to cook tomorrow.
Kid's gonna be out of school of course.

Meh.

But I'm going to get paid for 8hrs so yay.

--Patrick

Not American.
Don't get a holiday.

We do, however, get completely inundated with "Black Friday" sales these days.
Why the **** do we get BF sales? We don't have Thanksgiving, it's just an ordinary Friday a few weeks before Christmas with extra - crappy -discounts.
Blergh.

Still, enjoy the holiday, you rebels (and the few indigenous Americans left).

Going over to in-laws later today. Cooking my mashed pumpkin dish and a buttload of allioli. Hoping we can all get peacefully drunk (including the alcoholic person).

Probably a good rule is to forbid political talk this Thanksgiving. My wife couldn't even call her family without getting into arguments with her parents and grandparents.

Probably a good rule is to forbid political talk this Thanksgiving. My wife couldn't even call her family without getting into arguments with her parents and grandparents.
Will probably try that if the subject is broached, but not pre-emptively (knowing the family, it would prime them wrong).

Everyone's out of town, so we had our Thanksgiving last Saturday. Despite that, I somehow got roped into to going over to my step-dad's family's place.

And I have to make Kung Pao chicken. And Jun has to make Mapo tofu. Because nothing says Thanksgiving like authentic Chinese food.

Dave

Staff member
Not going to affect me. Our day is food & football. Everyone coming today is of the same political bent as myself so no worries there.

My parents have been here all week. Less than 24 hours after they showed up my mom almost left to drive back home in an emotional fit. Things have mostly calmed down since then. I'm pretty sure my mom needs to see a psychologist, because my dad was saying that she's been having fits like that a lot lately, but there's no way she'd take me seriously if I tried to talk to her about it, so I will just continue tiptoeing until Friday morning. Huzzah.

I still think it's prime 80's schlock, even without the MST3K treatment.

--Patrick
Oh yeah; the confidence that they were making a good movie makes so it doesn't need mst, but it's still a good episode.

Now Pod People, one of my absolute favorites, but I hope it doesn't just stick to movies that were aired the last couple Thanksgivings.

Sat through the political talk easily enough. The meal itself went well enough. thankfully my brothers kid is 2 now and able to kind of interact with people so that saved a lot.

People are moving onto the post meal crap and won't stick around for too much after. another successful family gathering if I do say so myself.

There's a local burger joint here that does a turducken burger called the Planes, Trains and Automobiles burger once a year every American Thanksgiving (since no one would show on Canadian Thanksgiving). I bought two this year. They are incredibly delicious. Their own fresh made turkey burger with fried chicken skin, duck confit, duck gravy, savory festive aeoli on their fresh baked, soft as butter, butter-pan style buns.

I've gone three years running just for this piece of heaven.

My Dad's working in Savannah so I drove in from College Station and my brother drove down from Washington DC. My Mom would join us but she has severe respiratory allergies so she's staying home.

I've got reservations at a restaurant in Savannah's historic district. Politics won't be a problem because both my brother and father are high enough in the federal government that the Hatch Act prohibits certain political arguments.

We actually weren't invited to my sister-in-law's Thanksgiving dinner, and she's hosting for the family, so with my parents in Wisconsin, we're just chilling at the house by ourselves, watching the parade and the dog show, might catch a football game this evening, nice and chill. Thanksgiving is, however, my big day for the year, cooking-wise. So, we'll be having roasted butternut squash with sage brown butter sauce, sauteed Brussels sprouts with bacon and candied pecans, potato and turnip gratin, dinner rolls, cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, and a roasted turkey breast.

There's a local burger joint here that does a turducken burger called the Planes, Trains and Automobiles burger once a year every American Thanksgiving (since no one would show on Canadian Thanksgiving). I bought two this year. They are incredibly delicious. Their own fresh made turkey burger with fried chicken skin, duck confit, duck gravy, savory festive aeoli on their fresh baked, soft as butter, butter-pan style buns.

Read this off to Kati. Her response? "Is it served between two soft pillows?"

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Traditionally, we go around the table and say what we are thankful for. Almost everybody couldn't help saying that they were grateful Donald trump was going to make America great again.

(Facetiously, most in attendance are of Mexican heritage)

It was actually pretty funny.

I'm now eating the second burger I ordered to go after eating the first one for lunch. Even cold out of the fridge it's delicious. It's like having Thanksgiving leftovers the same day.

I'm now eating the second burger I ordered to go after eating the first one for lunch. Even cold out of the fridge it's delicious. It's like having Thanksgiving leftovers the same day.
I am ashamed to say we did the same. Ate so early that we ended up nearly finishing our leftovers later in the evening. Ah well.

WHAT

What is this place