My Liver Hates Me

Some recent doctor tests revealed that I have high level of liver enzymes. This was a jump from 55 ALT to 73 ALT in a little over a year.
A recent ultrasound revealed that my liver had nodules that “suggest cirrhosis”.
I do not drink and I do not have Hepatitis. It is possible that a major contributor was me going a bit overboard with Tylenol the last few months of the year due to my painful allergies. The most likely cause, however, is my weight and eating habits.
I’m still waiting to hear back from the doctor on the extent of the damage. I’m worried, especially if it is cirrhosis as that cannot be undone and is a major step towards liver failure.
If anything it’s a wake-up-call that I need to improve my lifestyle immediately and by a lot. No more sugary drinks. More veggies. More exercise. I’m hopeful what I have hasn’t become irreversible but either way a lifestyle change is the only want to proceed safely.

Dave

Staff member
Some recent doctor tests revealed that I have high level of liver enzymes. This was a jump from 55 ALT to 73 ALT in a little over a year.
A recent ultrasound revealed that my liver had nodules that “suggest cirrhosis”.
I do not drink and I do not have Hepatitis. It is possible that a major contributor was me going a bit overboard with Tylenol the last few months of the year due to my painful allergies. The most likely cause, however, is my weight and eating habits.
I’m still waiting to hear back from the doctor on the extent of the damage. I’m worried, especially if it is cirrhosis as that cannot be undone and is a major step towards liver failure.
If anything it’s a wake-up-call that I need to improve my lifestyle immediately and by a lot. No more sugary drinks. More veggies. More exercise. I’m hopeful what I have hasn’t become irreversible but either way a lifestyle change is the only want to proceed safely.
NAFLD? Like me? My doctor told me I had to stop drinking. I was like, yeah, about that…

The GI doctors working with me do not believe it is cirrhosis based on current data. (Phew). So the person who wrote the initial lab result was a bit of a pessimist.
I’m going to have a more in depth scan done (Fabrasion?) in the next few weeks to hopefully put any concerns to bed.

Yeah, while my wife isn't quite officially in the disease category yet, she's had to change her diet because her liver was enlarged and fatty as well - and red meat, along with alcohol (yeah she did use to drink quite a bit before the blood clot in her brain) and some types of medicine are the biggest offenders. Also chocolate, eggs, some cheeses, you know, all things that make eating worthwhile.

Last night while at work I had the Room Service guys make me some beet root juice. Couldn’t even finish half the cup.
I bought some from the store today that has some lemon in it. Much easier to take.
I’m sure this isn’t new info to most people here, but it’s definitely a To Day I Learned moment for me. Dont drink just straight up beet juice.