[TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

wait? you are telling me a CHILDREN'S TOY COMPANY jumped the shark by building a vehicle for their new line of TOYS!?

I knew this was coming the moment the FIM got big. How this didn't happen sooner I have no idea.

It's entirely likely this won't have long term consequences for the show. Because seriously, I don't think the blue and orange girls are going to be fitting in well. Also, all these girls look white as hell (super deformed looks aside). I'm sure that's going to be a shitstorm soon.

As potentially horrible as EG may be, I hope it does well. Because then we'll get a REAL movie for MLP! Course...its probably going to be in CG so we'll just have to roll the dice with that one.

Got me on that one, but really if they make a 3-D movie it'll really be rolling the dice. Depends on the writing, and the character models.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Yoshi... They made the Smurfs look like the retarded sperm of the Blue Man Group. Think what a full 3-D treatment would do to the MLP figures.

I just remembered Twilight has a human love interest...ooh boy. So how much non-personality should I guess for this guy? Negative fifty points?

But even if it doesn't live up to our expectations, it will still be better than any of those damn Monster High movies....I hope.

Edit: WAIT, I think thats actually Shining Armor. The cliche leather jacket through me off. Possibly disregard the top sentence maybe.

"The most awkward moment in cinema history."

Okay I wasn't sure about seeing this in theaters, but now I have to because that sounds hilarious!

figmentPez

Staff member
If you do a search for bronies on Youtube right now something special happens:

Little brony sprites start walking across the results. It's kinda cute.

Fun as that mix may be to see, I wouldn't pay money to see this movie. That the right angle for a fantasy franchise to take is to make it pedestrian is stupid and offensive. "Kids won't relate unless the ponies are girls in school too." THEY ALREADY FUCKING RELATE TO THEM.

If they wanted to sell more toys, they could bring back the sea ponies from the old show.

Or pull a Transformers: The Movie and kill off most of the cast while introducing new characters.

So we got the first Equestrian Girls movie from Target and my 7 year old daughter liked it. I didn't watch it with her so I can't speak for it.

So we got the first Equestrian Girls movie from Target and my 7 year old daughter liked it. I didn't watch it with her so I can't speak for it.
I've seen it. It's way better than I thought it would be, but I'd still say one viewing was enough.

figmentPez

Staff member

This claims to be from the offical MLP:FiM version of Monopoly, but it has to be a joke, right?

RIGHT?

Yeah, yeah, it's actually a small mistake. The Chance cards are called Discord cards in this version, which explains the card's title; so the only mistake is putting Trixie on a card with a Zecora quote. Officially licensed merchandise has done a lot worse.

This claims to be from the offical MLP:FiM version of Monopoly, but it has to be a joke, right?

RIGHT?

Yeah, yeah, it's actually a small mistake. The Chance cards are called Discord cards in this version, which explains the card's title; so the only mistake is putting Trixie on a card with a Zecora quote. Officially licensed merchandise has done a lot worse.
Don't gotta tell me twice, I got a first wave Optimus Primal Beast Machines toy.
Toy:

Character:

Its bad enough he had to deal with Lightscream's bull shit, and Silverbolt's arguably justified emoness but did they have to make his beast mode look so damned creepy!

Anyone see the premiere? It was pretty good, and I loved how it showed
Celestia feeling sad about having to put her sister away in the moon as well as mentioning how she actually dreaded the Summer Sun celebration since it reminded her of one of the hardest choices she ever had to do. ALSO- I really hope they don't find all six keys in one episode, I hate it when shows do that(even though I'm pretty sure the six key holes are metaphor for each of the mane six and might be a one ep thing). Overarc me MLP!

I have been so busy with work and everything I haven't had a chance to watch any of the new episodes yet. I have been hearing mixed reviews though so i am a bit concerned.

Personally I think the season is off to a good start. They changed the art a little bit and it looks really good. Most of my complaints with the opener are them not having enough time to lengthen a few scenes and about five seconds where I thought most of the mane six were acting out of character. Other then that it was a good opener that had that slice of life feel mixed in with the adventure of it. It helped get rid of the feeling that twilight was going to become all powerful by becoming an alicorn.

Anyone see the premiere? It was pretty good, and I loved how it showed
Celestia feeling sad about having to put her sister away in the moon as well as mentioning how she actually dreaded the Summer Sun celebration since it reminded her of one of the hardest choices she ever had to do. ALSO- I really hope they don't find all six keys in one episode, I hate it when shows do that(even though I'm pretty sure the six key holes are metaphor for each of the mane six and might be a one ep thing). Overarc me MLP!
I hope they do the overarching thing too and throw little hints in random episodes like they did for the gala. I'm thinking maybe each character will get an episode where they find out how to obtain their key.

My only complaint really is that
the journal felt a leeeeeeeeeeeeeeetle bit forced. I mean yeah I get it, she's not Celestia's student any more so why send letters? Also I felt Pinkie Pie's reveal in episode 3 was a little obvious, but this show is made for children and said reveal was pretty funny so I can let it slide.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm pissed off that Celestia left a whole library full of priceless books to rot in a crumbling castle. What the hell?

Also, what is wrong with Rarity? She knows Celestia personally, why doesn't she just ask for permission to restore the tapestries, and why would she put them back to rot again after restoration?

Stupid episode doesn't many any stupid sense.

I'm pissed off that Celestia left a whole library full of priceless books to rot in a crumbling castle. What the hell?
She moved out after banishing Luna and didn't look back. Too many memories.
Also, what is wrong with Rarity? She knows Celestia personally, why doesn't she just ask for permission to restore the tapestries,
Probably because Celestia is a monarch therefore busy as hell and she didn't wanna bug her. ALSO she might not have needed to ask for permission, place was straight up abandoned.
and why would she put them back to rot again after restoration?
Got me on that one. Maybe she felt they tied the castle together? Though it is a cartoon, its logical for it to not have logic.

figmentPez

Staff member
She moved out after banishing Luna and didn't look back. Too many memories.
That is no excuse to allow valuable knowledge to be lost. Send a bunch of her subjects to move the damn books to somewhere safe. She's had a long time to make sure these books are well cared for. At least one of these tomes contains information not found anywhere else.

Probably because Celestia is a monarch therefore busy as hell and she didn't wanna bug her. ALSO she might not have needed to ask for permission, place was straight up abandoned.
Then she shouldn't have been acting guilty about it half the time. She's Rarity, who has, up until now, shown a tendency towards feeling entitled, and otherwise has a level head about ownership and propriety, why is she suddenly afraid to assert herself in claiming something?

Well notice at the end she said she was returning it after fixing it...to no pony in particular. I think after all what happened she still thought the castle was haunted and thought not to screw with it. Her world is full of chaos gods, wolves made of twigs, and precognitive pink ponies, being superstitious makes a heap of sense in a fantasy realm.

So the new episode, I liked it...but some elements bugged me. The action was cool, and Rainbow Dash acting all fan-girl was pretty funny, but if-
Daring Do's adventures were real...Equestria almost came close to getting an 800 year DROUGHT! Fuck, its a good thing the Mane 6 are naturally attracted to chaos like the cartoon characters they are, or else bye bye water! Also, does Celestia know these books are real? Twilight didn't, and she's a freakin' princess! Her reaction shouldn't have been "Holy crap, Daring Do is real!" But rather "This bitch knew about magic rings that could cause an 8 century long DROUGHT?! TO THE MOON!" Get yo shit together Twilight!

HOWEVER- the action and humor of the episode do sorta make up for these plot-holes. At worst I'd say C plus, at best I'd say B minus.

Last edited:
So I loved the crap out of the Daring Do episode, which basically just further cemented my love of Rainbow Dash.

Also, my husband ripped MP3s of all the season 1-3 songs for "my daughter's iPod", and by that he meant for him to listen to on his headphones at work apparently. ;)