My First Novel, The City of Smoke & Mirrors is now Available!

To increase Kindle revenue would mean jacking up the Kindle price. I'm glad his publisher isn't one of the big six dicks who jack up the Kindle price to the same as the paperback and say "it costs the same to produce an ebook". Um, no it fucking doesn't. There's no paper, no printing--all you had to do was format it for the ebook. And half the time they don't get that right. My ebook of The Hunger Games changes font size at different times. A Stephen King story collection ebook I bought has sudden paragraph breaks in mid-sentence throughout random points in the book, messed up italics that go beyond where the italics should've been, and a myriad of other problems. And it cost the same as the paperback would have. Ridiculous.

In my opinion, it's appropriate for the ebook to cost much less than the paperback.

To be fair, I have a 4-book hardcover deluxe edition of Eragon, and the two last books both have the same problem: missing words and parts of sentences. Nothing much, but here and there, suddnely the lasst 2 or 3 words of a paragraph missing. Not important if they're small stuff, but the name of who died in a big clash? Yeah, that's....annoying. It's a weird sort of error; a spell checker or such wouldn't catch it but a human editor would DEFINITELY notice it - maybe not all of the instances, but at least half - it's really quite prevalent throughout. Seems like the book was dictated with some speech-to-writing program, and the person got distracted occasionally. Psht.

I'm about half way through it Nick. I have to admit big trepidation going in, but so far you've won me over (I'm not a big superhero fan - thus the trepidation). I did want to warn you though that the the Kindle version has a handful of typos. Mostly little things, although some really stand out. I mean seriously, who spells "checks" with a 'qu'? That's just silly.

Dave

Staff member
I finished this last night. I have to admit it took me a while to get into. There are some stylistic things with your writing that is not my normal forte. But once I hit about 1/2 way and the story really kicked in I liked it a lot. The end is pretty good and the bad guy isn't what you think it's going to be.

I don't understand some of Dill's actions or reactions, but at least they are consistent. So to sum up...not my normal cup of tea, but I liked it in the end thanks to a great plot!

I finished this last night. I have to admit it took me a while to get into. There are some stylistic things with your writing that is not my normal forte. But once I hit about 1/2 way and the story really kicked in I liked it a lot. The end is pretty good and the bad guy isn't what you think it's going to be.

I don't understand some of Dill's actions or reactions, but at least they are consistent. So to sum up...not my normal cup of tea, but I liked it in the end thanks to a great plot!
Could you throw out some examples of Dill's actions/reactions? I don't doubt you, as I'm by no means saying my novel is perfect. I'm just curious.

Dave

Staff member
Could you throw out some examples of Dill's actions/reactions? I don't doubt you, as I'm by no means saying my novel is perfect. I'm just curious.
You love to use the "his gaze said 'just try it, Buster' while mine said 'deal with it". It's almost like you are trying too hard to be clever instead of just letting it flow naturally. Again, it's not necessarily your writing, just that your style and mine don't mesh. I did like the book because the plot was solid as hell. You are good with dialogue and your action scenes are well put together.

But Dill seems to get angry over nothing. He overreacts at the drop of a hat. His frequent urges to start shooting seem sometimes out of place and almost forced.

I read the second half in one sitting I was so into it. I love the looks that convey messages that couldn't possibly be conveyed by a person's facial expression. It's the kind of stuff that distinguishes writing from visual storytelling and that you can really only get away with in a humor story.

But Dill seems to get angry over nothing. He overreacts at the drop of a hat. His frequent urges to start shooting seem sometimes out of place and almost forced.
He's neutered.

Eeee, okay, I'm kind of giddy here. That's the first time someone criticized (solid points, I might add) my work and someone other than me defended it.

So yeah, I'll just be over here being giddy for another author first.

Nick, just finished it. Started out wondering if I had made a mistake (which happens as often as not when I start a book). Finished it wondering when there will be a next one. Can't think of a nicer thing to say.

QP, you're up.

I've been working on Dill's second adventure lately, but I've hit a brick wall. I've had this problem before with my writing. I'll have a great start, have a great finish in mind, but can't think of how to get from Point A to Point B. I've messaged the Quotester for help, but it's frustrating when I can't think of what to do.

I've been working on Dill's second adventure lately, but I've hit a brick wall. I've had this problem before with my writing. I'll have a great start, have a great finish in mind, but can't think of how to get from Point A to Point B. I've messaged the Quotester for help, but it's frustrating when I can't think of what to do.

He should team up with a wisecracking Raven partner.

My dad called me last night. My folks are on vacation in South Carolina right now and ordered copies of my book while down there.

Anyway, he'd just finished reading it and wanted to call to say he loved it. This is coming from a man who doesn't really do much reading outside of a newspaper and the occasional book on tennis. He also said there's someone else he plays tennis with that they lent a copy to that's been enjoying it. :)

Last I heard from my dad reading stuff of mine was "Seems kind of weird."

To which I said, "I learned it from watching YOU, Dad! I LEARNED FROM WATCHING YOU!"

Dave

Staff member
If I ever get published it'll go like this:

Me: Dad! Did you read my book?
Dad: ...
Me: Aw come on! At least read it! Even if you don't like it!
Me: Why, papa, why?!? Why won't you read my book?!?
Me: Oh yeah. You're dead! My bad!

(This little spate of totally dark humor is brought to you by the letter Y and the number 667, the neighbor of the beast.)

Just finished Children of the White Wolf. That was really good. The only part that bothered me ...

At one point, I felt like Alice accepted the monsters and and adapted too quickly. Her lack of awe took me out of the book briefly.

That said, it was quickly overcome by your ability to set a scene and describe action, and I was really captivated for the majority of it. I feel like it covered a lot, and I'm sure I'm going to read it again at some point. Overall, quite a book.

I promise that I will eventually put up glowing Amazon reviews of both (had to read them first, because if I didn't like one, I'd rather skip the review ;) ).

Just finished Children of the White Wolf. That was really good. The only part that bothered me ...

At one point, I felt like Alice accepted the monsters and and adapted too quickly. Her lack of awe took me out of the book briefly.

That said, it was quickly overcome by your ability to set a scene and describe action, and I was really captivated for the majority of it. I feel like it covered a lot, and I'm sure I'm going to read it again at some point. Overall, quite a book.

I promise that I will eventually put up glowing Amazon reviews of both (had to read them first, because if I didn't like one, I'd rather skip the review ;) ).
You could paste a version of what you typed here :p.

Thanks for the feedback and for reading. I'm really glad you enjoyed the book--I was a little nervous whether the adult guys who were buying it here would like a book with teenage girls as protagonists. Thanks again :D.

Hey guys, guess what?

The City of Smoke & Mirrors has been optioned for a movie! I can't believe it. I mean, it's only been out for a month and never even broke the top 10,000 on Amazon.

But film auteur Uwe Boll says he's going to adapt the book in exciting and unique ways. Even better, he's already contacted superstar comic book artist Rob Liefeld to do the conceptual art for the movie! Here's a sneak peak!

Adam Sandler? Are you mad? There's no way we would go that low.

No, I've got word that PAULY MOTHERFUCKING SHORE is playing Dill.

Yoshi called it on Rob Schneider, though.