Export thread

Music that just hits you thread...

Mathias

Mathias

Post em; leave the stories here as well.

Man, this song hit me hard today. Existential crises mode activated.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

There's no story to go with them. They make me cry though.

Denbrought

Denbrought

This song is getting stuck in my head at the right time was a contributing factor in not blowing my brains out when I had the chance and inclination.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Oh man, I'll probably post in this thread a few times. This is the most blatantly manipulative song I've heard.

And it completely works on me.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

This pretty much explains my daily feelings:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Billy Joel - "The Downeaster Alexa"

The story it tells is quite a ballad, and I'm sure many a New Englander can relate. The video does a good job of portraying the setting and the stereotypical crusty characters, too.

Johnny Cash - "Hurt"

You knew this one was going to be in this list. Johnny Cash tears a song from Trent Reznor's grip and remakes it in his own image, turning Reznor's nihilistic lyrics about ending the present upside-down and instead making the song one of how badly Cash wants the past to return.
(this version has waaaay too many annotations, but fortunately they can be turned off)

And speaking of hurting...
Tom Smith - "A Boy and His Frog"

This song frequently wins...nay, shuts down just about every "saddest song evar" competition when it shows up. If you're 25-50 years old, enjoyed movies like The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth, know who Emmet Otter is, if you can't count to 12 without humming the tune, or without lightning crashing to your maniacal laugh once you get there...this song aches. It aches so bad that YouTube viewers have actually flagged it enough to get it age-restricted.

I'll post a few more when I can remember what they are. I know there have to be a couple more nagging at me.

--Patrick

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Oh every fucking time

[DOUBLEPOST=1461642320,1461642176][/DOUBLEPOST]Also

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

This whole album reminds of an ex that I fell for pretty hard, and the breakup that completely destroyed my confidence and drive for years. This song especially still stirs things up.

This was one of two bands that basically every friend in my highschool circle loved to death, and this album was the crown jewel. We sat and watched a meteor shower with it playing one night. It reminds me of the consequences of depression getting the best of me, consequences that I still live with.

Lastly, with that same group of friends I learned the lyrics to this song, from another band we all loved. Late nights in a garage with shitty equipment, acting like we were a real band and not a bunch of goofy marching band geeks with too much free time. I still know all the words.

fade

fade

[DOUBLEPOST=1461677500,1461677176][/DOUBLEPOST]

Mathias

Mathias

This pretty much explains my daily feelings:

Cheesy, you have great taste in music. I love this song.[DOUBLEPOST=1461678096,1461677883][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh God, the feels.

Shakey

Shakey

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

There's no link, because Beyonce doesn't give her music away for free online, but Lemonade hit me like a ton of bricks. The "visual album"/full length music video on HBO Saturday night was amazing, I'm glad I was able to DVR it on the free weekend. The video is on Tidal, album on iTunes now.

Dave

Dave

And of course...

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Always this:

Mathias

Mathias

There's no link, because Beyonce doesn't give her music away for free online, but Lemonade hit me like a ton of bricks. The "visual album"/full length music video on HBO Saturday night was amazing, I'm glad I was able to DVR it on the free weekend. The video is on Tidal, album on iTunes now.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I didn't make fun of any of your musical choices. Also please explain what "the thing" I'm doing is?

Mathias

Mathias

I didn't make fun of any of your musical choices. Also please explain what "the thing" I'm doing is?
You're a snob, and I don't want you ruining my thread with your pretentious bullshit. So gtfo.

Mathias

Mathias

I'm not crazy about MGMT, but I love other peoples' acoustic renderings. I love the lyrics to Kids.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hey way to ruin the tone of your own thread!

Mathias

Mathias

Hey way to ruin the tone of your own thread!
Sorry,

Moving forward.

Shakey

Shakey

Also

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'd post more stuff but I'm at work, and the school blocks Youtube.

In more uplifting music, Daft Punk's Discovery always puts me in a great mood. That one and Phantom Planet's The Guest were great albums to blast with the windows down, driving to/from San Diego on a gorgeous afternoon.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

You're a snob, and I don't want you ruining my thread with your pretentious bullshit. So gtfo.
Beyonce is one of the most popular artists alive, you moron

but i won't interrupt all your sad white men with guitars anymore

Mathias

Mathias

I'd post more stuff but I'm at work, and the school blocks Youtube.

In more uplifting music, Daft Punk's Discovery always puts me in a great mood. That one and Phantom Planet's The Guest were great albums to blast with the windows down, driving to/from San Diego on a gorgeous afternoon.

Oooh in a similar vein to Daft Punk. I love Glitch Mob; this song in particular:
Always puts me in an adventurous "let's take the back roads" mood.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Glitch Mob's great too, I heard their remix on the Tron album and loved it, ended up digging through a lot of their stuff.

Mathias

Mathias

Glitch Mob's great too, I heard their remix on the Tron album and loved it, ended up digging through a lot of their stuff.
Buddy, if you like Daft and Glitch, I got a treat for you:

Ocean Lab.

Oh man, those feels.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'll have to check it out when I get home and can use YT.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I recommend headphones, or good speakers:

MBD is the only band I've bothered buying every physical record from.

Here's two others that feel particularly emotive to me, though I could honestly just link their entire repertoire.

Edit: Here's their bandcamp, you can freely listen to nearly every song they've ever put out: murderbydeath.bandcamp.com

Dave

Dave

To Matthias and Charlie:

or even

:D

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Buddy, if you like Daft and Glitch, I got a treat for you:

Ocean Lab.

Oh man, those feels.
Deliciously ambient, I love it.

I recommend headphones, or good speakers:

MBD is the only band I've bothered buying every physical record from.

Here's two others that feel particularly emotive to me, though I could honestly just link their entire repertoire.

Edit: Here's their bandcamp, you can freely listen to nearly every song they've ever put out: murderbydeath.bandcamp.com
MBD is great!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Now I'm going through music that I like for different reasons and realize just how extreme my musical tastes are. So here is some music that I used to play when I was running/going to the gym. Music that's good for getting pumped and hitting things! These are pretty tame really. Lyrics are NFSW for a few of them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hee hee first occurrence of Combichrist on the board (that I know of).
Also, didn't realize that "music which affects you" could potentially be other than the mood-crushing variety.
If that's the case, we can get some out of the way by perusing this thread of uplifting music.

--Patrick

Mathias

Mathias

Hee hee first occurrence of Combichrist on the board (that I know of).
Also, didn't realize that "music which affects you" could potentially be other than the mood-crushing variety.
If that's the case, we can get some out of the way by perusing this thread of uplifting music.

--Patrick

Oh yeah! Anything that you feel a personal connection to and makes them feels happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1461767179,1461766970][/DOUBLEPOST]

HHHHGGGGGNNNNGGGGGHHHHHH[DOUBLEPOST=1461767369][/DOUBLEPOST]Also Lauren O'Connell is great. 1988 is a great song that's such a great tune about expectations and loss of innocence.

[DOUBLEPOST=1461767630][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh here's another one that both the song and video are great:

Video is amazing and always reminds me of great times with friends that dull the misery of routine. Also, I miss New York. :(

General Specific

General Specific

Music that makes me happy:

Jim Croce is one of my dad's favorite artists from the 70's. He used to listen to this in the car all the time when I was young, so it reminds me of him mostly. Make me want to call him. :)

Gordon Lightfoot was played by my parents all the time, so like the one above, reminds me of my younger days at home. I really like this one as well.

This is the song @dill616 and I had our first dance to and we walked down the aisle together to it as well. Makes me happy all over.

As for music that makes me sad:

Because it always reminds me of North Ranger. Always.

I may have more later, but I can't see right now as I have all of the dust in my eye.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

This is the song @dill616 and I had our first dance to and we walked down the aisle together to it as well. Makes me happy all over.
I used to think you had good taste in music, but this one instance has broken my faith and retroactively made me hate everything I've ever come to appreciate from your posts

you

animal

jwhouk

jwhouk

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

This was on a Christmas compilation album that my parents had. I hear it and I'm taken back to Christmas Eve dinner with the tree all lit, excitedly waiting to open one present before heading next door to my grandparents' for the big family gift exchange and party.

General Specific

General Specific

I used to think you had good taste in music, but this one instance has broken my faith and retroactively made me hate everything I've ever come to appreciate from your posts

you

animal
May I ask why? Is it Peter Gabriel or the song itself?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

May I ask why? Is it Peter Gabriel or the song itself?
I'm just kidding; I just think it's a really cheesy song is all.

Mathias

Mathias

Hey! This is why I booted the likes of Charlie out of the thread. No judging musical tastes! Cheesy songs can elicit emotion too.[DOUBLEPOST=1461857687,1461857197][/DOUBLEPOST]

Speaking of Cheesy. Whenever I hear this song, I want to jump on my bike and RIIIIDDDEEEE!!!!!!

General Specific

General Specific

I will grant you that, but it was the perfect wedding song.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hey! This is why I booted the likes of Charlie out of the thread. No judging musical tastes! Cheesy songs can elicit emotion too.
I will grant you that, but it was the perfect wedding song.
I was just trying to be glib! Not actually judgemental - sorry if I came across that way.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Hey! This is why I booted the likes of Charlie out of the thread. No judging musical tastes!
sorry i lied about leaving the thread, but you called me pretentious (for talking about the #1 album on iTunes) before i said word one about your (shitty, sheltered white idiot) picks of music

i can't believe you posted a macklemore song, it's so beautifully perfect

Mathias

Mathias

Ah takes me back to garage band days. We used to jam out to Live all the time.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Gwen Stefani's brother leaving No Doubt should have been the point where I realized they would never put out a 100% great album again. Tragic Kingdom is a glorious ska romp and nothing past it could live up to that, regardless of genre.

Mathias

Mathias

That reminds me. I miss the Ska craze of the 90s.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I miss the Ska craze of the 80's.

General Specific

General Specific

I was just trying to be glib! Not actually judgemental - sorry if I came across that way.
No worries from me, I never read any of your posts in this thread as anything more than idle banter. :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Whenever I hear this song, I want to jump on my bike and RIIIIDDDEEEE!!!!!!

--Patrick

Gared

Gared

For a reason that I can't really put a finger on, Bryan Adams' "All For Love" gets me every time. It makes watching Disney's "The Three Musketeers" from 1993 starring Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland, and Tim Curry a little hairy - which is unfortunate, because that's one of my favorite movies.

General Specific

General Specific

This song came out just after I got out of a bad relationship and basically describes her and how she treated me perfectly. I vowed to never be in that kind of relationship ever again.

Had many fun nights playing Little Big Planet Karting and we'd always run through the course that played this music last. So much fun blasting each other off the track while jamming out.

Saw Flogging Molly live, they kicked off their set with this song and when they got to the first repeat line (have blown us all to hell! "TO HELL!"), the entire crowd of ~3000 people all hit the "TO HELL!" at the same time. That was the moment I knew it was going to be an awesome show and I was not let down. Plus, that was the show where I was introduced to Frank Turner, so good night all around.

Mathias

Mathias

For a reason that I can't really put a finger on, Bryan Adams' "All For Love" gets me every time. It makes watching Disney's "The Three Musketeers" from 1993 starring Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland, and Tim Curry a little hairy - which is unfortunate, because that's one of my favorite movies.

Dude. It's that instrument pause into the chorus. I fucking love songs that do that.[DOUBLEPOST=1461944130,1461944006][/DOUBLEPOST]

Always reminds me of that girl. The one that got away. Will always wonder what life would have been like if I had the balls to talk to her back then... le sigh...[DOUBLEPOST=1461944516][/DOUBLEPOST]also:

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'll see that REO song and raise you:

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

It doesn't hit me per se, but it seems like I hear it when things start getting rough. It's become my "pick yourself up, dust yourself off" song.

This one got me through a deployment with a toddler and a kindergartner at home. We had only been in Hawaii for about a month before he left. I felt really alone.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Mathias

Mathias

YES! Got the Ragin' Cajun into the thread![DOUBLEPOST=1462033388,1462033259][/DOUBLEPOST]
It doesn't hit me per se, but it seems like I hear it when things start getting rough. It's become my "pick yourself up, dust yourself off" song.

This one got me through a deployment with a toddler and a kindergartner at home. We had only been in Hawaii for about a month before he left. I felt really alone.

Ah the ol' Stop being a little whiny toad song.

Mines:

[DOUBLEPOST=1462033471][/DOUBLEPOST]

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

More songs that I relate to as far as what I am and try to be:

Simfers

Simfers

To this day I have no idea why, but the first time I heard this song, tears started streaming down my face. Couldn't do anything to stop them. Hasn't happened since, but I still love it:

For a more positive thing, whenever I feel down in the dumps, I listen to this and I feel ready to take on the whole universe:

PatrThom

PatrThom

More songs that I relate to as far as what I am and try to be:
Hey thanks for the reminder.
Who Needs Sleep? - BNL

And When I Die - Blood, Sweat, and Tears

A'soalin' - Peter, Paul, & Mary.

(extra points to autocorrect for trying to turn that into "A Stalin")
To this day I have no idea why, but the first time I heard this song, tears started streaming down my face. Couldn't do anything to stop them. Hasn't happened since, but I still love it:
Same thing happened to me the first time I heard Jeff Wayne's "Thunderchild"

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

The saddest up-tempo song I have ever heard. Still gets me kinda teary sometimes.

My uncle died around the time Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American was big. This song is the one that hit me at the time and now is forever associated with him for me. I can barely listen to it now for all the hurt it brings up again.

OK, enough of being a downer. Here is the song that I play whenever I need to get myself going.

The song I listen to when I just need to hang in there and get through whatever is happening.

And when I just want to get loose and jam out, I listen to this album:

But especially this song off of it:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'd have to go digging, but I've still got a copy of Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American pre-title change. They turned it into a self-titled after 9/11, if I remember right.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

This one always hits me hard - reminds me of being a kid around my Dad. He loved listening to Don Williams when I was growing up, and he'll still put him on, now and then... course, I'm 8 hours away from him, but still...

2 for 2 in a genre I usually don't listen to, but my wife does. This one comes up on the radio now and then, and reminds me to be the example I should be for my kids.

I was at work the day my grandmother died. My mother, for some reason, had this song in her head at the time whilst she was with her in England, and called me up, in tears to sing it to her.

I've got more, but the more uplifting stuff just ain't coming to mind tonight - triple shot from the feels cannon.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not an actual song, but possibly still of interest to anyone interested in this thread.

Why some people get "skin orgasms" from listening to music

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

New Kanye West single, just played for the first time over the radio. Only heard it a couple times, but it's pretty great. From his long-rumored "Cruel Winter" project. Standout line - "I'm about to go Gucci in the Gucci Store"

Dave

Dave

I know you say he's a genius, but that was nothing more more than auto-tuned crap. i did listen to the whole thing and I'm just not impressed.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, he's no Eminem, no matter how much he tries to simulate it.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Kinda feeling it today, a Night Ranger song that always brings up the feels...

blotsfan

blotsfan

New Kanye West single, just played for the first time over the radio. Only heard it a couple times, but it's pretty great. From his long-rumored "Cruel Winter" project. Standout line - "I'm about to go Gucci in the Gucci Store"
That seemed pretty good, but that was the worst format to listen to it. I wanna hear it uncensored without those stupid "Big boy in the morning" sounds over it.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That seemed pretty good, but that was the worst format to listen to it. I wanna hear it uncensored without those stupid "Big boy in the morning" sounds over it.
Yeah, it's just a taste, really. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wanna hear it uncensored without those stupid "Big boy in the morning" sounds over it.
I kept thinking that was some morning show DJ sticking his bump in there where it didn't belong, like this video was some kind of "brought to you by WPUD's Mike in the Morning show." I didn't realize it was actually part of the song.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

I kept thinking that was some morning show DJ sticking his bump in there where it didn't belong, like this video was some kind of "brought to you by WPUD's Mike in the Morning show." I didn't realize it was actually part of the song.

--Patrick
No, it is from the DJ. I meant that I wanna hear it without the radio bump as well as without censoring words. Considering how much rap is dependent on the flow of the words, censoring in them really annoys me.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

No, it is from the DJ. I meant that I wanna hear it without the radio bump as well as without censoring words. Considering how much rap is dependent on the flow of the words, censoring in them really annoys me.
Ditto, I can't stand the radio editing, or those stupid big boy sound effects. Reminds me of my local hiphop radio station (which is, sadly, awful) who insist on playing siren noises over all of the tracks and calling it a mix.

Initial thoughts:

The opening verse (I'm going to assume this is Quavo, as I'm not familiar with him and don't recognize the voice) is awful. Overproduced, I don't like it at all.

Kanye is being ye, which, you know, is what I expect from him. I like it, but I feel like I've heard it before, I'd like to hear something new from him. Something new that doesn't require a tidal subscription.

Big Sean and 2 Chainz have really good parts, though.

Cog

Cog

This song is about a man who the love of his life is leaving him. But for me it's about a father saying goodbye to his daughter before she gets married. I wonder how it will be for me when that time comes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Every single time.

Krisken

Krisken

Ah takes me back to garage band days. We used to jam out to Live all the time.
I love Live, but damn if Lightning Crashes was played the shit out of back in the day. I actually prefer a lot of the B-Side stuff on Throwing Copper and listen to Mental Jewelry more these days.

Frank

Frank

Right back to being a kid again with a new CD player.

fade

fade

Aw man, was it the kind with the detachable speakers? I got one of those for christmas junior year of high school. I thought it was the coolest thing.

Frank

Frank

Aw man, was it the kind with the detachable speakers? I got one of those for christmas junior year of high school. I thought it was the coolest thing.
I had this old Panasonic 5 disc changer. It did have detachable speakers too. God damn thing had the world's dumbest disc changer though and it broke all the time.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Denbrought

Denbrought

This song rarely fails to make me cry when I need to.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I was just reminded of this thread when I heard this song on the radio again today.

Back in college, there was this guy I knew... we were "friends with benefits". I don't remember when exactly it started, but after college, whenever this song would come on, it would immediately remind me of him. Maybe not the physical descriptions (he was built more like Parks & Rec- era Chris Pratt, and I'm not "a black-haired beauty with big dark eyes") and we were more...active.. during the school year, but the sentiment of the song always takes me back.

fade

fade

Go on...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Everyone sang these songs for WEEKS when I was a kid.

PatrThom

PatrThom

the sentiment of the song always takes me back.
There was a time in my life when there were only two steps of separation between myself and Bob Seger (there might still be, I just haven't talked with the guy in the middle in a long time). Most of his songs bring back memories of a much younger me's life.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm afraid it's all just sweet, sweet nostalgia now. My current nights are more like this:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm afraid it's all just sweet, sweet nostalgia now. My current nights are more like this:
Mmm, eating night cheese straight off the block.

fade

fade

Go on...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's not product placement, I just like it!

Fuck I miss that show.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Shakey

Shakey

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I posted this on Facebook - this is an incredibly haunting song (from the Voice of Ukraine 2016):

Inna Ishchenko singing “Plyve Kacha”

Story behind the song:

"the Day of the Heavenly Hundred Heroes"
Today every Ukrainian knows the song "Пливе кача по Тисині", as it became widely known in Ukraine in 2014 during the Yevrorevolyutsiya, events that took place in Kiev. It is considered the unofficial anthem requiem for the innocent victims euromaidan activists who entered history as the "Heaven de Hundred."

Another description:

A Ukranian Folk Song Mourning The Dead of Maidan Square where 130 identified people were killed; most of them were civilian protesters in the fall and winter of 2013–2014.

Translation of the lyrics

Mathias

Mathias

Wow ^^^

JCM

JCM

So you find one weird song, and discover it's about a baby kidnapped by a graveyard keeper, taken to the woods, and had its skull crushed, and the song is written from the point of view of the infant.

Mathias

Mathias

Damn, Julio. Damn. Thanks for that. You guys are hitting my feels with this stuff.

Here's one that I listen to when down in the dumps.

Cog

Cog

Today is my father's birthday. I love him so much and it hurts me to see him grow old. So, this song is for him.

BErt

I love, love, love Daniel Johnston. I think he's and amazing song writer. And I just now somehow learned that Beck covered his song True Love Will Find You In The End. And I can't stop listening to it.

Mathias

Mathias

Gared

Gared

This one really speaks to my childhood/teen years growing up in a little farm town. It was the kind of place where "hick" was worn as a badge of honor - and you didn't qualify until you could flawlessly back a full-size pickup into a parking spot, buck bales of hay in the sun all day without complaining, and/or drive a tractor.

I've been watching a lot of inspirational/funny/uplifting movies lately, including Sing - which makes me tear up damn near every time at some point or another. I think Set It All Free is my favorite part right now - the world could use more angry, refuse to back down, empowerment rock right now.

I also started watching documentaries really heavily back in February/March after I realized that I'd stopped learning new things for a while, and I was having a hard time coping with it. Most of the non-politically focused ones on Netflix at the time were music documentaries, and one of the most rewatchable was Muscle Shoals - about the two recording studios down in Muscle Shoals and their effect on British rock groups, or something. The point of view kind of bounces around a lot, but it's still fun info to know. There are a lot of really iconic songs featured in the documentary, but at the end you get a look at Rick Hall at Fame Records working first with Aretha Franklin and then with Alicia Keys in "present day" (2013). Alicia's part just blew me away one day. All of my hair stood on end, massive goosebumps, teared up, the whole 9 yards. It's become my goto song when I need to remind myself that I really do have some steel in my backbone and I can stand up to my troubles.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

A holiday themed one:

jwhouk

jwhouk

I've heard that one plenty of times on SiriusXM Holly over the years, but this was the first time I saw the actual lyrics.

Kinda reminds me of Greg Lake's "I Believe In Father Christmas," in a way.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Christmas Shoes:

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's one of those songs I wish I hadn't heard so often, so I could still enjoy it.
In B4 Gas or someone reposts the Patton Oswalt rebuttal.

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

My Grandfather passed away this morning. He was 98 years old. He had been in pain for a while now, so it is a mixed bunch of feelings I have about it right now. I was mostly ok until I saw these two pictures on Facebook:
4 generations.jpg

That is Grandpa, my father, brother, and nephew. 4 generations in one picture.

Grandpa and Rob.jpg

Here Grandpa is with my other nephew.

Those two pictures got me kinda teary, then Pandora decided to wreck me by playing this at the same time:

At once I knew, I was not magnificent

Dave

Dave

Sorry to hear that, man.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Damn @General Specific I'm sorry. Those are some great photos though. I am glad he got to see so many generations! Also you have a very handsome father.

A much sillier offering, but this song is pretty nostalgic for me. And fun.

Also:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Dave

Dave

What a cool and interesting video.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It probably hits harder if you have your own McCracken

Celt Z

Celt Z

I had the radio on when I went to pick up Li'l Z at school yesterday. Coldplay's "Speed of Sound" comes on, and for reasons I can't full understand, I look up at the field in front of my car, and I'm hit with a huge nostalgia bomb of being in high school. There was just something about the time of day and weather and I guess the fact that it sounds like a song that would have been played in the mid-90's. I can't even explain it, but it was just a powerful deja-vu feeling it left me a little jarred.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

grub

grub

PatrThom

PatrThom

Edit: I'm sorry, Pat. You did nothing wrong here. But that damned Reddit auto-play thing is so annoying! And in a thread where you want to listen to music...It even played in spoiler mode and replies!

grub

grub

Were you inspired to listen to that song by this recent post?

--Patrick
I saw that today on Reddit, but that song is on my regular rotation. It was my first song I heard by RUSH, and is still my number 1. That song hits all the feels.

Shawn

Shawn

I've always loved Holding Out for a Hero. The Metal version surpasses the original.

Dave

Dave

Here's my annual posting of this video. It's been 4 years since I found it and it still hits me.

Circles
Nights turn into days
Days turn into years
and in them I'm walking
fast and in circles.
wind blows at me
blows at my back
everything looks too far
too big for my size.

it's not me that's advancing
it's just time slipping away.
it's another train passing by
it's another rope tightening

Sunrise fall fast
Seasons pass more
and I'm the same old me
inside a time that's shortening

PatrThom

PatrThom

I remember when you first posted it, but now it just makes me think of the 2nd Lego movie.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I remember when you first posted it, but now it just makes me think of the 2nd Lego movie.

--Patrick
Did they play this in the second Lego movie?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Did they play this in the second Lego movie?
No, but the credits scene is very reminiscent of this video.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

No context needed:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Edit: I'm sorry, Pat. You did nothing wrong here. But that damned Reddit auto-play thing is so annoying! And in a thread where you want to listen to music...It even played in spoiler mode and replies!
I've learned how to get around this, btw. After you post something that has a "naked" URL in it, immediately go back and edit it to change the unfurl from "true" to "false."

Anyway, not exactly a song, but still has plenty of weight.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was just reminded of this thread when I heard this song on the radio again today.
Oh really, spambot who just joined? Reminded huh? Sure, we'll all fall for this.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I once heard Ska described as "what plays in a 13-year-old kid's head when he gets extra mozzarella sticks," and that seems pretty accurate.

General Specific

General Specific

"I miss my friends that I pretend I don't need
But I could have done with them this week"

That seems to sum up my life right now. Had a falling out with my friend group, the ones I used to game with every saturday and so it's been months since I've spoken with them. I don't think our friendships are done, just took a pretty serious hit and will take some time. There's so much going on in my life that I want to share with them, but can't right now. I also don't really have any other friends, so I don't really have a social life anymore.

"Damnint, I needed you this week"

PatrThom

PatrThom

I considered putting this in the Awesome Videos thread, and if this thread didn't exist, I absolutely would've.
@Dave might have already seen/heard it by now, but today was my first time.

The voiceover bits are absolutely killer, and if you don't recognize them, they're from her AGT performance some ~14 years ago.

(This was the only version I could (quickly) find that included the performance itself. The commentary starts at around the 3:20 mark. The audio is in English)
I know the official video title is "Eye Of The Untold Her," which is simultaneously a reference at her younger self and to that well-known saying about Beauty (and presumably also Talent), but she could've also titled this song, "In Your Face, Piers Morgan. Right In Your Stupid Face."

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I love Lindsey Sterling. Her orchestral version of Transcendence is really good.

And yeah, that video is a HUGE middle finger to AGT and them as judges.