Movie News & Miscellany

It's meant to be ironic, duh.
Plus the owner found out about that thing called "Economics" which means when you show movies people pay to watch, you stay in business (mainstream movies... maybe) whereas when you show movies that you need to PAY people to watch, you go into debt (hipster movies).

Nostalgia Critic did their best episode in a long while, but it helps to have atrocious material--Fan4stic.

And fucking hell, I knew this movie was a turkey, but what they do to "it's clobberin time" ... what the fuck were they thinking?

And yeah, turn one of Marvel's greatest villains into a douchebag. Amazing.

Nostalgia Critic did their best episode in a long while, but it helps to have atrocious material--Fan4stic.

And fucking hell, I knew this movie was a turkey, but what they do to "it's clobberin time" ... what the fuck were they thinking?

And yeah, turn one of Marvel's greatest villains into a douchebag. Amazing.
I keep hoping and praying Fox will give the rights back to Marvel. But they seem ridiculously adamant to hold onto this property. I don't understand why. The previous two entries did well and turned a profit, but they didn't sell like gangbusters like the X-Men films.

I keep hoping and praying Fox will give the rights back to Marvel. But they seem ridiculously adamant to hold onto this property. I don't understand why. The previous two entries did well and turned a profit, but they didn't sell like gangbusters like the X-Men films.
Wasn't Marvel's axing of the FF book part of some legal gymnastics to try to get one over on Fox re: the movie rights?

Wasn't Marvel's axing of the FF book part of some legal gymnastics to try to get one over on Fox re: the movie rights?
Moreso just that one of the guys at Marvel (Ike Perlmutter, I believe) did it out of spite for the fact that they don't have the rights. That's part of why they were shoehorning The Inhumans into the spotlight while pushing away the X-Men. But with the bunch of relaunched X-books, I don't know if anything changed there. Still no Fantastic Four book on the horizon, though.

Really? To me it was the rare episode where the movie was so bad that it made watching the review very unpleasant for me.
I can understand that, but I thought the jokes really landed and I was getting mad at this shitpile, so the more the review went on, the more eager I was for them to tear the movie down. That also means being exposed to more of the movie. It's a double-edged sword.[DOUBLEPOST=1491648633,1491648416][/DOUBLEPOST]
Moreso just that one of the guys at Marvel (Ike Perlmutter, I believe) did it out of spite for the fact that they don't have the rights. That's part of why they were shoehorning The Inhumans into the spotlight while pushing away the X-Men. But with the bunch of relaunched X-books, I don't know if anything changed there. Still no Fantastic Four book on the horizon, though.
Demand for X books has been high. Right now Marvel's comic book side is desperate to appeal to readers and they're hoping X revival will see 80s and 90s levels of consistent sales.

Demand for X books has been high. Right now Marvel's comic book side is desperate to appeal to readers and they're hoping X revival will see 80s and 90s levels of consistent sales.
Wow, they must be kidding themselves if they think any comic could possibly reach those heights again. The confusing continuity alone makes it greatly inaccessible. "Check it out! We have a Wolverine from the future! And the five original X-Men's past selves are in the present!" Not to mention their biggest draw back then were teenagers. Now, the largest audience for DC & Marvel are in their 40s (the ones who WERE those teenagers). And not all that audience stuck around. AND are very unlikely to be drawn back in.

I mean, wow, I honestly hadn't heard their hopes were that high, but if it's true, it's woefully naive.

Wow, they must be kidding themselves if they think any comic could possibly reach those heights again. The confusing continuity alone makes it greatly inaccessible. "Check it out! We have a Wolverine from the future! And the five original X-Men's past selves are in the present!" Not to mention their biggest draw back then were teenagers. Now, the largest audience for DC & Marvel are in their 40s (the ones who WERE those teenagers). And not all that audience stuck around. AND are very unlikely to be drawn back in.

I mean, wow, I honestly hadn't heard their hopes were that high, but if it's true, it's woefully naive.
I'm sure the first issues will sell well, but no, they're being stupid and will probably kill these new X titles by a year from now. It's how Marvel is these days. They should really be happy just appealing books to people who like them and forget their glory days. At the very least, taking on X books is hopefully of a sign of them no longer trying to ape the paths of the movies or let their ownership by Disney alter the state of the books.

That still isn't going to change the pricing though. I could get my mom to buy me a Spider-man book at the pharmacy because it was $1.25. No way she would've paid $4 in that scenario. And I'm not talking inflation; I know $1.25 was worth more then. But the mental perception of spending $4 for a comic book wouldn't fly in that regard. So you're likely only getting kid sales from parents who bring their kids to comic book stores expecting to spend a bit, or kids who get stuff like Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel at the book fair in trade form, which is a full book and parents can mentally wrap their heads around it having a cost like that.

I don't expect things to go back to the way they were, and I don't want them to. Marvel needs a reality check.

Honestly, they need to market more to the casual audience and bring in new readers. Their current readers are dying out. Not literally, but you have long-time fans like me who can't stand either company anymore. And they'll leave, say "Screw it, it's not worth it anymore" and not look back.