Movie News & Miscellany

if you don't want to watch 120 minutes - http://www.imdb.com/list/ls058598068/ - goes to ~30

Lego Movie at 7 is laughable, Gone Girl is a good pick, Under The Skin and Nightcrawler should be higher.

mine, just for argument's sake, although i only saw 62 movies that year :(

Under the Skin
Gone Girl
Nightcrawler
Whiplash
Birdman
Foxcatcher
John Wick
Lucy
Big Hero 6
The One I Love
Agreed that Nightcrawler could be higher, but I guess he has other priorities (I find his choices hard to evaluate because of the sheer amount of movies he manages to watch). As for Lego, I have to say that movie was the most fun I had at a cinema in a very long time. I think it deserves a high spot because it was executed so well--mastery of a medium is noteworthy, even if the setting is a bunch of 3d-animated trademarks running around.

John Wick was also very enjoyable. Both it and The Raid 2 are perfect additions to a "Feng Shui RPG bootcamp" movie list.

Lucy was a perfectly fun terrible movie.

And if that's what it took to get an A-list actress as an action star, then that's more an indictment of the industry than the actual movie.

GasBandit

Staff member
Lucy's villains were idiots and the final build-up to confrontation defied common sense, even disregarding the 10% stuff. I mean, yeah, punch punch boobs kick special effects whoa, but the writing, ugh.

I don't care about what most people here say about writing*
Directing, writing, editing/pacing, acting < cinematography for you. There's more to film than making a pretty shot, but if that's what you care about most, then of course it's not going to make any sense to you why anyone would prioritize anything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1470912236,1470912106][/DOUBLEPOST]
What a coincidence, most people here don't care about what you say about anything at all.
How dare you. Charlie is a pioneer and a tastemaker in his field.

He's here for the blackjack and hookers, the core focus of this place after we split off from ... wow, I can't remember what this place was called before. Under Kurtz and Straub. Has it been that long?

He's here for the blackjack and hookers, the core focus of this place after we split off from ... wow, I can't remember what this place was called before. Under Kurtz and Straub. Has it been that long?
No. Halforums rose from the ashes of Halforum.
Halforum came from those boards from long long ago. Something something Image something. :p

Hey now, it's not because I left something out that I'm wrong. The first version of this forum - you know, back when I was in the top 10 for number of posts with the board games and all that - was Halforum, singular. Yes, before that it was Halfpixel, too. And before that, Image.

Hey now, it's not because I left something out that I'm wrong. The first version of this forum - you know, back when I was in the top 10 for number of posts with the board games and all that - was Halforum, singular. Yes, before that it was Halfpixel, too. And before that, Image.
And before that, pvponline's forum

And before that, I vaguely recall it just being the comments for each comic, but I don't trust my memory anymore. Does anybody remember?

And before that, pvponline's forum

And before that, I vaguely recall it just being the comments for each comic, but I don't trust my memory anymore. Does anybody remember?
before that was kurtz' FIRST pvp forums that he got mad at and deleted with no notice, so we made another, eerily similar spinoff community of which i'm a 14-year long continuous member (heh, member)

It was Straub that pulled the plug. Kurtz just stood there and said, "yeah, whatever."
No, he means before that. Timeline:

- Kurtz has a forum
- Kurtz destroys forum
- Those members create new forum, we'll call ForumA
- Image forum gains new members
- Halfpixel is made by Straub and Kurtz
- Straub destroys Halfpixel
- Those members create new forum, Halforums

Shortly after Dave set up Halforums, people from ForumA reached out to us if we wanted to join them, so there was some cross-pollination at that time, from one band of PVP forum refugees to another.

No, he means before that. Timeline:

- Kurtz has a forum
- Kurtz destroys forum
- Those members create new forum, we'll call ForumA
- Image forum gains new members
- Halfpixel is made by Straub and Kurtz
- Straub destroys Halfpixel
- Those members create new forum, Halforums

Shortly after Dave set up Halforums, people from ForumA reached out to us if we wanted to join them, so there was some cross-pollination at that time, from one band of PVP forum refugees to another.
And I was actually asking about before all that.

I'm wondering if I'm right that we were posting to the comments page of each comic like filthy youtubers.

GasBandit

Staff member
And I was actually asking about before all that.

I'm wondering if I'm right that we were posting to the comments page of each comic like filthy youtubers.
No, I don't think Kurtz ever had a comments section under each comic or anything like that... that was really a paradigm common to webcomics starting in the later 2000s. In the 90's, everybody had a forum.

No, I don't think Kurtz ever had a comments section under each comic or anything like that... that was really a paradigm common to webcomics starting in the later 2000s. In the 90's, everybody had a forum.
or maybe it was a proto forum. Like a link to a thread for each comment, without other threads, or it was just one long conversation with the newest posts on top. Or something not quite a forum.

I'm old. My memory is muddy.

What's this river that I'm in[DOUBLEPOST=1471020550,1471020179][/DOUBLEPOST]The wayback machine tells me I'm wrong. :oops:

GasBandit

Staff member
or maybe it was a proto forum. Like a link to a thread for each comment, without other threads, or it was just one long conversation with the newest posts on top. Or something not quite a forum.

I'm old. My memory is muddy.

What's this river that I'm in[DOUBLEPOST=1471020550,1471020179][/DOUBLEPOST]The wayback machine tells me I'm wrong. :oops:
Earliest thing I remember is Forumopolis. Anything else would have been pre 1999 or so.

He used to, but then one of his artist friends died and he got rid of it.

My earliest forum memories were on Image. You can't say you're an old fart around these parts unless you've lived through at least one forum wipe.

This is how you make a feature length animated film for 18 million dollars (Sausage Party) (also allegedly):

The production cost were kept low because Greg would demand people work overtime for free. If you wouldn't work late for free your work would be assigned to someone who would stay late or come in on the weekend. Some artist were even threatened with termination for not staying late to hit a deadline.
The animation department signed a petition for better treatment and paid overtime. When the letter got to Annapurna they stepped in and saw that artist were payed and fed when overtime was needed.
Over 30 animators left during the coarse of the production due to the stress and expectations. Most of them left before the paid overtime was implemented. This was met with animosity and was taken as a personal insult to the owners. Their names were omitted from the final credits despite working for over a year on this film.
From the comments of this article:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-...-animated-film-142425.html#comment-2835100326

The comments are filled with the unhappy comments of dejected animators.