Movie News & Miscellany

They've gotta embrace the campiness of the original, in my opinion. If Rocketeer took itself too seriously it wouldn't have been much good at all.

I remember really not liking Sky Captain when it came out, but I was focused more on the CG than the rest of the movie. I might give it another shot one of these days.

Love that for mentioning Crimson Skies!
Everything else is great as well, but goddam am I sad that Crimson Skies didn't become a bigger thing.
The ONLY reason it didn't become a bigger thing is because Microsoft bought the rights during the FASA firehouse sale and hasn't done anything with them since High Road for Revenge (which is FANTASTIC and I don't know why it didn't get a sequel). Really, if we could somehow get the rights for the series into the hands of someone like Project: ACES over at Bandai Namco...

GasBandit

Staff member
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was a pretty meh movie, I was more just invoking the trope (and an Archer reference).

I have discovered that two of my friends have never seen The Rocketeer.

It's going to be interesting to see their reaction to it when I watch it with them.

I have discovered that two of my friends have never seen The Rocketeer.

It's going to be interesting to see their reaction to it when I watch it with them.
Three, depending on whether or not you count me among them.
...except I don't get to share your popcorn later.

--Patrick

This may be the least offensive.....and kind of rad thing to come out of the Transformers movies. This poster.

Is this a movie where murderlord movie Optimus Prime fights fucking space dragons? It can't possible be worse than the last train wreck.

This may be the least offensive.....and kind of rad thing to come out of the Transformers movies. This poster.

Is this a movie where murderlord movie Optimus Prime fights fucking space dragons? It can't possible be worse than the last train wreck.
Those space dragons look like they will really be blurry clouds of grey swarms that sometimes look a little dragon-like.

It's Michael Bay. It absolutely can.

In the interests of full disclosure, I haven't seen Age of Extinction.

It's Michael Bay. It absolutely can.

In the interests of full disclosure, I haven't seen Age of Extinction.
Age of Extinction was terrible. At least the first one was alright and at least the second and third got me frustrated. That one was just boring.

Also, it totally wasted Grimlock.

Age of Extinction had some cool action set pieces slipped in there between discussions of texas teenager rape statutes and trips to China to secure distribution. Also I laugh at pretty much everything Mark Wahlberg does

Age of Extinction was terrible. At least the first one was alright and at least the second and third got me frustrated. That one was just boring.

Also, it totally wasted Grimlock.
Agreed. The other Transformers movies are at least guilty pleasures for me. Age of Extinction is just boring. They somehow managed to make giant robots beating each other up into a snoozefest.

Also I wasn't a huge fan of the blatant pandering to Chinese audiences. And the product placement has gotten to "yeah we're doing product placement, bite me" levels.

First reaction, "not another remake!"

Second reaction... how much of our cinematic history is actually recycled material? Even the sword and sandal epics from the mid to late 50s were remakes of silent era films (Ben-Hur is a prime example.) Is Hollywood really getting lazier, or awe just more prone to notice nowadays?

Second reaction... how much of our cinematic history is actually recycled material? Even the sword and sandal epics from the mid to late 50s were remakes of silent era films (Ben-Hur is a prime example.) Is Hollywood really getting lazier, or awe just more prone to notice nowadays?
Fun fact, we're getting a new Ben Hur, too.

I think it's probably the fact that we are more aware these days of when something is a remake or an adaptation.

I know people who have complained about all of the remakes and such, but I always point how a) there have been remakes and adaptations since Hollywood's earliest days, b) plenty of classic films are based on something already (Apocalypse Now is based on Heart of Darkness, for example), and c) there are remakes that are not only good films in their own right, but arguably better than the originals.

I think it's probably the fact that we are more aware these days of when something is a remake or an adaptation.

I know people who have complained about all of the remakes and such, but I always point how a) there have been remakes and adaptations since Hollywood's earliest days, b) plenty of classic films are based on something already (Apocalypse Now is based on Heart of Darkness, for example), and c) there are remakes that are not only good films in their own right, but arguably better than the originals.
Yup. A great many of the films that are considered great are either adaptations or remakes. We're just more aware of it now.

And I think as time passes people forget the movie's source material and begin to think of the film as original. The Godfather is the perfect example of this.