Movie News & Miscellany

OK, it's not a movie, it's a show, but we don't have a separate thread for those I think.
Riftwar Cycle coming to TV

I have to say... Yes, I hope they do it well, but given some of the themes of the series, and recent adaptations, etc....I'm more anxious than hyped.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll say this much about Raymond Feist... when it came to the Riftwar books, he put out a book EVERY YEAR. Sometimes two a year. Granted, some of those books were only 250 pages or so, and a lot of the ones past the 20th or so he really started phoning it in, but none of this GRRM/Rothfuss "it'll be ready when it's ready, if ever" BS. A BOOK EVERY YEAR.

The first reviews of The Batman coming in and it looks like it's the best Batman movie yet.
Marvel's Eternals Called 'Shocking' and a 'Masterpiece' in Glowing First Reactions
Eternals is still weeks away from its November release, but early reviews indicate the Marvel film is set to be a hit.
"Eternals is a whole lot of movie," wrote Marvel podcaster Brandon Davis. "It's shot with a massive scope, looking visually different (and more intimate) than anything else Marvel. It has laughs, great surprises, and heart to go with the gigantic, crowded story it unpacks."
Eternals.PNG

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
The first reviews of The Batman coming in and it looks like it's the best Batman movie yet.
One of my close friends saw it and she was raving. Like, beyond anything I've seen from her. She thinks it puts the Christopher Nolan films to shame. One of the car chase scenes got audience applause. She heaped praise on the actors, director, writers, the film score. She's not completely reliable in her movie tastes, but if she's gone this bonkers over something, it's going to at least be good.

One of my favourite movie reviewers, MovieBob, gave it a 6/10. I don't always agree with his reviews, mind you. Here, one thing he says is the movie pulls from many neo noir movies but it's like it keeps being dragged back to being a superhero movie.

One of my close friends saw it and she was raving. Like, beyond anything I've seen from her. She thinks it puts the Christopher Nolan films to shame. One of the car chase scenes got audience applause. She heaped praise on the actors, director, writers, the film score. She's not completely reliable in her movie tastes, but if she's gone this bonkers over something, it's going to at least be good.
As much as I like the Nolan movies, they really are a product of the Iraq war and watching them today I can't help but feel like the politics of the movies are surprisingly fascist

Elizabeth Banks will be directing "Cocaine Bear" for Universal with a release date next year. Loosely based on the 1985 true story of a bear that overdosed on a smuggler's cocaine, the horror/comedy is reportedly about a bear that goes on a rampage after ingesting large amounts of the drug.
Keri Russel, O'Shea Jackson Jr., Ray Liotta, Alden Ehrenreich and Jesse Tyler Ferguson set to star.

You had me at "Cocaine Bear".

...I mean, FOR ONE I think a Wonder Twins film is kinda niche, for TWO...seventy-five million for a MADE FOR STREAMING film?! A made for streaming film, about the most obscure and made-fun of superhero sidekicks of ALL time?!

SHOW OF HANDS-who here besides me bought their Wonder Comics series? SECOND SHOW OF HANDS-who here even remembers that being a thing?