Missing Halforumite (Non-Bubble Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
It was locked down to prevent even more ack-ack. The person in question saw something fishy and looked it up. It wasn't really stalking as everything was public domain. The person was just trying to solve a mystery. No, I'm not gonna say who it was to anyone. They are good people and even though this kinda backfired, it wasn't done maliciously.

Jesus Christ, seriously? The guy posted pictures of himself. I'm pretty sure Chaz had before and didn't look remotely like that.

I mean, are we just going to have a witch hunt for every new person that joins? Clearly, Squidleybits needs to be investigated to prove that she's not Chaz. Or Gilgamesh.

At this rate, we're just going to scare off every single new person like we're hunting a changeling on Star Trek: DS9.

Jesus Christ, seriously? The guy posted pictures of himself. I'm pretty sure Chaz had before and didn't look remotely like that.
Is that what it was about? I mean, on one hand I hope that's what it was and that it wasn't actually somebody stalking the dude, but on the other.... how many times did the guy have to deny it, prove it with pictures, and more to the point, who even cares that much in the first place?!

I look forward the to next time someone from Pennsylvania joins the forum and foolishly dares to express a strong opinion. Apparently if we can't have Chaz around here to serve as a villain we'll just keep making new Chaz's.

Is that what it was about? I mean, on one hand I hope that's what it was and that it wasn't actually somebody stalking the dude, but on the other.... how many times did the guy have to deny it, prove it with pictures, and more to the point, who even cares that much in the first place?!
For the record, this is my stance.

I locked the goodbye thread because by-and-large, we don't allow goodbye threads, especially ones that, as Seej said, would only devolve into a witch hunt.

For the record, don't turn this into a witch hunt. Dave says that the person in question didn't do it maliciously and probably didn't expect this outcome. And Dave is the only other person who knows who did it.

The fuck is wrong with some people. Who cares who is who. We're all just a god damn avatar that some people randomly change to piss us off.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just hope the various mods have by now learned that locking a potentially explosive thread without making a final, explanatory post in that thread about why it's being locked is very likely to blow up in their face. Even with the explanation, it's not a sure thing. Around here, locking threads is chumming the water.

I just hope the various mods have by now learned that locking a potentially explosive thread without making a final, explanatory post in that thread about why it's being locked is very likely to blow up in their face. Even with the explanation, it's not a sure thing. Around here, locking threads is chumming the water.
Yes, it makes people look for a reason. Even if it makes no sense. CHAZ STALKED BOB FOR TAKING HIS PLACE!!!!!!

North_Ranger

Staff member
That's how some of them got there, but not many. One day I got fed up with waiting and randomly made a bunch of user pages, making sure to say something unflattering in each one, and posted a thread about it. That link in my sig is serious. Define your chosen alternate reality or I will.
Umm... I'm not seeing any sig, GB ol' boy.[DOUBLEPOST=1346314886][/DOUBLEPOST]Ah, there it is.

Dave says that the person in question didn't do it maliciously and probably didn't expect this outcome. And Dave is the only other person who knows who did it.

The real question isn't "who did it?". It's "has this person apologized to Silent Bob ?"

Zappit

Staff member
So Silent Bob is not Chaz, evidence backs that up, yet Silent Bob was still subject to such scrutiny?

This is why we can't have nice things...or new members, apparently.

Good people or not I would like to know why a person from here thought it was okay to look this guy up.

It was a twatty move. I like Silent Bob. :(

I'm also curious how Bob found out about it. Was the person just hopelessly incompetent, or did they send a message afterwards saying "hey I've been stalking you for a bit but you checked out, so I guess you can stay!"

Either way, the whole thing is weird as fuck. Why do people take this place so seriously that they feel the need to run background checks on new posters?

It is, indeed, weird. I come here to nerd out a bit, commiserate and tell random stories from my life in the hopes of entertaining a few of you. I would hope Joe Blow whoever could sign up and be able to do the same thing with out being 'checked out'.

I don't even care if the hypothetical Joe Blow IS a banned member as long as they are acting like a decent human being this time.

Now I'm actually really glad I haven't posted any facebook related stuff here... this whole thing has left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Since people are able to talk freely in a thread that hasn't been squashed mere minutes after its creation, here's what I feel.

Same shit, different day. We've all been here before... and we'll be here again... my stance isn't likely to change.

IMO, we're a community that isn't hard to get involved with, despite the emo-ness some posters may have due to RL issues and stress... however we are saints compared to other forums I post on. People integrate with us as much as they don't.... just like real life and jobs... sometimes it simply doesn't pan out.. Don't make a big deal about it and take things (and life!) with a grain of salt. If someone feels alienated by this little.... good luck in life my friend.

There are far more important issues around here than losing a fluffer with not even a few hundred posts compared to say the exodus of several posters of longtime standing on these forums such as Shegs, Adam, Chaz, Krispie and whatnot. Say what you will about specific people and all but it's far more difficult to swallow the losses of these type of posters who felt alienated by poor moderation and elaboration on staff actions than say.... a poster with a few hundred posts who has a history of issues with other posters with his short tenure.

To be frank, I'm more annoyed at people going "WAAAH, another noob publically cried about something no one really gives a shit about" then there ever was, "Why the FUCK did Adam stop posting here?"

That... in my honest opinion isn't fair.

Thus why, I REALLY don't give a shit IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.