Minor victory thread

...I see ND plates regularly. (Where do you think they go in the winter? ;) )

Hawaii plates are also frequent here, as I've said before. I actually think the Boeing helicopter plant might have something to do with that.

Had another PBL-based exam last week. Got back the results. 13 of our 30 chapters were Neuoanatomy

Grade breakdown:

Grades 84

Biochemistry 83

Case Questions 96

Dental Management 87

Histology 82

Immunology 100

Microbiology 92

Neuroanatomy 42

Pathology 89

Physiology 74

And still managed to walk off with a solid B.

The hotel has been sold (which explains my situation in another thread), and to close accounts with old ownership payday is this coming Monday instad of next Friday.

Since there's still $350 of donations still pending, and could be a week until PayPal releases it, this is a godsend. I can pick up a microwave and a bed while still in the move-out-by window.

I'll still need a rug to really tie the room together.

Dave

Staff member
The wife and I are going on a trip in July to Washington state. We're taking my new car. Now, something I've always wanted was a dash cam. So, because they DIDN'T take a car payment this month even though I'd budgeted for it, I went ahead and got this:

Amazon product

Now all I have to do is figure out how to put it in and get it working. It should be here Saturday so I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

edit: I can't see this on my screen. Does the site block Amazon links?

The wife and I are going on a trip in July to Washington state. We're taking my new car. Now, something I've always wanted was a dash cam. So, because they DIDN'T take a car payment this month even though I'd budgeted for it, I went ahead and got this:

Amazon product

Now all I have to do is figure out how to put it in and get it working. It should be here Saturday so I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

It's a borked link for me too.

Amazon product

Nice, I got the same one. No complaints here, although the app is a bit cumbersome. Did you get the hardwire kit? Also might be worth getting the polarizing filter if you get a lot of glare from the windshield.

Was two hours late paying the wife's student loans, meaning I had to make a double payment to bring it "current."
Called them, they sound like they're not going to do anything so long as (technically) being a day late doesn't become a habit.
Still means a double payment as far as my bank account is concerned.
<checks bank account>
Oh hey, looks like the Federal refund is already being deposited. Well okay then.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Nice, I got the same one. No complaints here, although the app is a bit cumbersome. Did you get the hardwire kit? Also might be worth getting the polarizing filter if you get a lot of glare from the windshield.
I did get the hardwire kit. How to put it in I have yet to figure out.

Last month, the local hospital right down the street from my new apartment announced they were closing in 60 days. Yesterday, the state flagship hospital announced they were building a new 100-bed facility just up the hill from work. There will be about a month gap because of paperwork and other legalities, but the old hospital will now say open until the new one is ready.

And building the new one will mean contractors and such will need rooms. Lots of rooms. With the current travel industry disaster, this couldn't have come at a better time.

Win-win.

Looks like today ended up being the last day of the ski season, since pretty much every resort is closing down. Maybe could've put this in the whine thread, but hey, skiing is skiing!

Attachments

My store closed to the public today! I'm guaranteed my pay! I still have to go to work each day... but I don't have to interact with any customers.

Got an e-mail from the District explaining how we're going to be paid. Directly from the e-mail:

"...hourly employees will specifically be paid for the hours assigned on their pay record for the duration of the closure ."

My hours of work, according to a follow-up e-mail with HR, is 38.75 hours/week.

I can live with that. :)

I had a huge translation editing case that was split into two halves. The first half was due yesterday, the second half due today. I hadn't realized it was split in two, so I accidentally completed the whole thing and handed it in yesterday (having pulled some overtime to get it done). Now I have nothing left for today.

Whelp, time to enter "pretend to be busy" mode!

Went to Costco. My Aerogarden is drinking water like a man in the desert, and I can't use tap water due to my water softening system. So, I figured I'd go and get some water and pick up a big ol' whale penis if they had one (the $100 beef tenderloin that they carry that'll make a dozen tenderloin steaks). They had one. Got the penis, the water, and some wine to go with the steaks.

Thought I'd check out the TP section. I have maybe 3 weeks worth from my pre-apocalypse shopping, but I figured if they had plenty, I'd snag one.
2020-04-10 11.38.57.jpg

Success! I think people are finally starting to calm down on the TP situation around here. Last time I hit up Costco a month-ish ago, EVERYONE had TP in their carts (well, except me). For some, that's all they were buying. Now, maybe only half or less the folks had TP. My cart: Bottled water, wine, steak, and TP. It looked like I was planning a bachelor's sexytime date with myself. :D

Can confirm. Got a package of Charmin this morning, along with a two-pack of paper towels.

(Of course, there wasn't much else on the shelves, and the options were non-existent, but they were there, dammit.)

Free COUCH at work!?

As renovations continue, there's a surplus pullout couch in the lobby. GM asked if I'd want it for my apartment. It's a little bigger and more comfortable than the Walmart futon couch I bought, so get me help in moving it, and YES!

I'm being hunted.

Headhunted, that is.

A few former classmates of mine, as well as a former coworker, have all ended up working at the same company. A position opened up at that company, and they basically all recommended me, to the point where their boss basically sent me an email saying, "Oi, you, I've got a chorus of recommendations asking for you, you interested, mate?"

(I have no idea why I picture the boss as an Australian.)

Everything's in the early stages, of course. I have no idea yet if I'm a good fit for this position, and if it's a good fit for me. Plus, my current company is paying me pretty well for my field, so financially speaking I'm not all that eager to move. Also, I've got a good, stable job here, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to voluntarily go through an upheaval in these uncertain times.

Still, though, it's nice to be wanted.