Minor victory thread

I usually claim 0 exemptions on my w-4.

Between that, and the new deductions I can take for home ownership and devoting one room of the home for business use, my refund this year is *huge*.

Incidentally, this year will be the first year that I actually see any of my tax refund in a long time. Which makes it even sweeter. ;)

It's 55 degrees! Ugh, it's beautiful outside, I took Creature (my dog, his name is really Fly) for a walk, and am wearing shorts! I'm so happy! Spring is on the way! :D

now watch me jinx everything and it snows tomorrow...

Finished taxes on Thurs.
Refund can get here aaaaaany time now.

--Patrick
Until I make 80K+ a year in China, according to the federal government, I make nothing (but still have to file). On one hand, that means I don't get double taxed (Which is ridiculous in the first place). On the other hand, for immigration purposes, I make $0 in the eyes of the federal government and need a financial sponsor to sponsor Jun's immigration to the US. D'oh.

It's 55 degrees! Ugh, it's beautiful outside, I took Creature (my dog, his name is really Fly) for a walk, and am wearing shorts! I'm so happy! Spring is on the way! :D

now watch me jinx everything and it snows tomorrow...
/me makes like Frozen and throws a gigantihumongous snowball at you

figmentPez

Staff member
I've never had a problem with heat and since it get's over the 100's here during July and August, it's not heat that would be problem. ;)

Are you humid over there? Cause that's what would get me. ALL THAT SWEAT. It's gross.
Is Houston humid? :rofl:

Not compared to some parts of Louisiana, but compared to Utah? Yeah, we're really freaking humid. I was up in Wyoming one summer and it was over 100 degrees out. Felt more comfortable to me than 85 degrees in Houston. I quite enjoyed it, actually.

Seriously fuck humidity. One of the contributing factors to me leaving southern Ontario. At least here when it's hot I can go in the shade and get relief.

Is Houston humid? :rofl:

Not compared to some parts of Louisiana, but compared to Utah? Yeah, we're really freaking humid. I was up in Wyoming one summer and it was over 100 degrees out. Felt more comfortable to me than 85 degrees in Houston. I quite enjoyed it, actually.
Yep, I can believe that. It's all about that stupid humidity. And really, everywhere is probably more humid than Utah. We're a crazy dry desert over here.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yep, I can believe that. It's all about that stupid humidity. And really, everywhere is probably more humid than Utah. We're a crazy dry desert over here.
Still, you need to come visit. Just not in August... or June through Mid-September, really... Sometimes May through October...

Oh, I was breaking in my shortest shorts, hardcore and no jacket even! :D Your poor Texan sensibilities.
Hey now, it was 57 here Monday morning and I was out in shorts and a tee shirt to walk the Pugs. Not everyone down here is allergic to cold, I don't even own what most down here would call a winter coat.

After living in Virginia for two years, I flew out to visit my relatives in Houston for a week. The combination of heat and humidity that hit me when I walked out of the airport was like getting punched in the gut.

Got the job. Not sure if I'm going to take it but I have to figure that out fast. They want me to start March 31 :/

Got the job. Not sure if I'm going to take it but I have to figure that out fast. They want me to start March 31 :/
I forget who it was but it's been noted that Winnipeg is the slurpy capital of the world. "Ten months of the year, cold enough to kill penguins. The other two? Let's eat snow."

I'm cooking pecanwood bacon in the oven. I want to lick the air in my house.
Almost every year for the end of the year we make Mexican Wedding Cakes (or, as Kati calls them, "dusty choke balls"), but with hazelnuts as the nut instead of walnut/pecans (and no pineapple, either!).
It's my job to toast the hazelnuts, since I have the patience to do it and she doesn't. Every year, she tells me that for that brief moment, it is hard to choose between me or the oven as to which she loves more.

--Patrick

Woot had a $300 snow thrower on sale a couple weeks ago for $100. New, not refurb like a lot of the crap they sell.

I'm really glad I bought one :)