Minor victory thread

After internet was out all day and got impatient waiting for it to come back on, I called Verizon and had a pleasant customer service experience, the guy's name was Dan and we talked about World of Warcraft while waiting for things to load. He reset our service and that got the internet back on.

As a 'Murican I have never heard of something called a "snowthrower," I assume it is a device that specializes in scooping up snow to be launched at your foes via catapult system.

I'm from Minnesota, we call them Snow Blowers too, it is those weird people from the non-frozen parts of the country.

Last edited:
Woot had a $300 snow thrower on sale a couple weeks ago for $100. New, not refurb like a lot of the crap they sell.

I'm really glad I bought one :)
In light of this year's snowpocalypse, that's not a minor victory, that's EPIC WIN.

EDIT: And the term is pretty much the same thing, but just describes how it does the job.

In light of this year's snowpocalypse, that's not a minor victory, that's EPIC WIN.

EDIT: And the term is pretty much the same thing, but just describes how it does the job.
The term seems to be pretty interchangeable on Amazon and Home Depot. I used to call them snow blowers, until I realized how they worked. Generally, an impeller chucks the snow through a chute at high speed, where it flies out. Snow thrower seemed to be the more pedantically accurate term, so I switched to it.

I've heard it called snow thrower, which is probably more technically correct. If you're snow blowing you'd be out with something like a leaf blower blowing the snow away.

I've heard it called snow thrower, which is probably more technically correct. If you're snow blowing you'd be out with something like a leaf blower blowing the snow away.
I thought that's how snowblowers worked...

I've never dealt with snow.

Our son has insisted on starting to pee standing up.
Also, he's getting pretty good at Minecraft.
He's 4.

Some things I thought would be battles just seem to be solving themselves. I am thankful.

--Patrick

Our son has insisted on starting to pee standing up.
Also, he's getting pretty good at Minecraft.
He's 4.

Some things I thought would be battles just seem to be solving themselves. I am thankful.

--Patrick
Be so happy for the toiletting. Jet is nearly five and I can't get the bloody kid to cap on the friggin toilet. It is becoming the bane of my existence.

any of you remember the giant aluminium cans of HI-C? the juice box comment got me thinking, no one my age(26-27) remembers them but me.

Yes, they were actually in steel cans, and you had to punch the top to get your juice out of them.
They were great for crafty things.

--Patrick

I got an email from a company saying they have a position that I might be qualified for. I respond to them and they say they want to interview me. I look them up, and see that they're very close to a scam, if not technically a scam.

Why is this a minor victory you ask?
In their email about scheduling an interview, they sent me a free PDF textbook of a subject that I wanted to learn.

Zappit

Staff member
I got an email from a company saying they have a position that I might be qualified for. I respond to them and they say they want to interview me. I look them up, and see that they're very close to a scam, if not technically a scam.

Why is this a minor victory you ask?
In their email about scheduling an interview, they sent me a free PDF textbook of a subject that I wanted to learn.
Try to get more books...

I just got back from my first vacation since 2011! We went up to Vermont for what-used-to-be our annual snowboarding trip. Hopefully it will become an annual occurrence again. It was great to be up there during the week when the trails are empty and the snow is lovely. And I even learned some new moves!

I'd file this under "Epic Win", but a) in learning those new moves, I took some hard hits. I'd say I'm sore in more places than I'm not. And b) it's hard to think of something as a vacation when the place we went to was COLDER than it was at home. The first morning there, it was in the negatives. Oh goody! :confused:

After seeing tons of pictures of awesome Perler bead artwork online I finally decided to give it a go. And despite not having used Perler beads in at least 17 years or so I think it turned out pretty well. :)

-----Edit-----

I made another perler bead creation last night. :)

This time it is Katara!

Last edited:
From now until next fall, I don't have to rush through my shopping on Mondays. Because in the winter I have to get home before the sun goes down to play with the dog.

From now until next fall, I don't have to rush through my shopping on Mondays. Because in the winter I have to get home before the sun goes down to play with the dog.

you could teach your dog to go for walks with you on a treadmill. That way you can still go for walks even if it is dark/rainy/etc.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know, historically I have steered clear of this thread for curmudgeonly reasons. I think I'll change that going forward.

Anyway, just got the news today that the person at work who I can stand the least, and has done more to cause problems for me than any other person I have ever worked with, has handed in her 2 week notice. Woot.

Got a bad cavity repaired yesterday for just the deductible, $50. I was afraid it would need a root canal or extraction. The prescription I'd skipped because the price jumped tenfold? It was still ~$85 for a 90-day supply *with* insurance. 30-day supply? $4.33. :)

And as I ended the morning today, I was pleasantly surprised to find some records I'd written off as unplayable or just too noisy to enjoy got a new lease on life thanks to the new stylus I bought. Go me.

Just got back from a local Holi Festival celebration. I'm covered in bright colors, and we had a blast! Good food, good music, fun times. :D