Minor victory thread

Because while shopping, you are moving at your own pace. Then when you get to the front you are stuck for 30 minutes standing still. So it is no longer your pace but that of the half-speed cashier and inconsiderate shoppers.

Last week was the first time that I can remember having some one whip out a check book in the express line at the grocery store... of course she waited till everything was rung up and placed in her basket before pulling the check out... dropped her pen and just generally fucked around getting the check filled out...

It is good to know that incompetence still pisses me off.
I loved that about walmart. They have machines that you can just put the check in and it will make it to whatever the amount is. Of course, there were always some people that refused to listen when I told them they didnt need to write it out.

Every week at the commissary I have some person in front of me who has to pay by check. Usually it's some 100 year old lady who can't see very well or a woman with 5 kids running around her like she's a particle accelerator. It's worse around pay day since people will "float" a check over the weekend in the hopes they don't put it through until pay hits their account.

So I got a job offer this morning. Weighing options:

Plusses: 50% pay increase, chance for advancement, seemingly laid back work environment, more focused work tasks than current job
Minuses: Less flexibility, two weeks fewer PTO, corporate environment instead of education environment, 20 minutes longer commute

It's worse around pay day since people will "float" a check over the weekend in the hopes they don't put it through until pay hits their account.
Yeah. They know that stopped when people started being able to cash checks immediately, right? Eh, probably not. They'll learn.

--Patrick

Just went for a run for the first time in awhile. Managed to do 3.6 KM in about 25 minutes.

My course (where I just doubled back from the end point).

And even better, I bought and tried out the Zombies, Run! app. I didn't manage to finish the first mission but it's pretty fun. I can see myself trying this more.

I finally caught the cricket that escaped Yoshis feeding time. It has been driving me fucking mad for the better part of a week!
I suddenly picture you as some mad comic book villain who has finally caught their prey...and then feeds them to their giant snake! Or lizard. Or...actually, I can't remember what Yoshi is. But anyway, giant reptilian thing. :D

TELL me you hung it over Yoshi's cage, tied up with some dental floss.

I dangled it by it's leg in front of Yoshis nose until he ate it.

This wasn't very satisfying as Yoshi kept running away like I was terrifying him with this kicking insect.

Leopard gecko.
Giant, they ain't.
But adorable? Yes.
leopard-gecko.jpg

(^Not mine)

Incidentally, A while back I gave mine a very thorough foot massage that managed to get most of the un-shed skin off her feet. She hated it at first, and actually tried to nip me a couple times for the first time in like 8 years. But by the time I was on to the third foot she seemed to understand what I was doing or something. She completely calmed down and just let me do it.

She shed again a couple days ago and actually managed to get all the skin off herself, and she did it all much faster than she has in quite some time. Her toess are still curled a bit and I definitely still need to give her foot massages every now and then, but she's suddenly doing so much better. I don't know why. Haven't changed ANYTHING about her care.

But this is a win.

Yoshi shed his skin twice this month. I don't know if that's normal or not..but he's a lot fatter now then when we got him. The SPCA staff called to check up on him and were happy to hear that he now runs towards the tank door when it opens and crawls on to my hand...apparently he used to nip. He seems a lot happier!

Cajungal

Staff member
Reason #55 why I might not be cut out for a pet: I don't think I could love an animal enough to give it a foot massage.

I finally caught the cricket that escaped Yoshis feeding time. It has been driving me fucking mad for the better part of a week!
Kati used to have a jewel lizard. There were times when one of the waiting crickets would hit puberty and wake her up in the middle of the night. She figured that was its way of announcing that it wanted to be next.

--Patrick

North_Ranger

Staff member
Kati used to have a jewel lizard. There were times when one of the waiting crickets would hit puberty and wake her up in the middle of the night. She figured that was its way of announcing that it wanted to be next.

--Patrick
So, Kati's crickets were organized like The Children of the Corn?

My parents are up this weekend. Dad's already helped me with at least one assignment for my Teaching Elementary Math class.

They also brought up more books and comics, along with another bookshelf.

Which also means Diomedes' favourite spot to lounge has returned:

M

makare

Reason #55 why I might not be cut out for a pet: I don't think I could love an animal enough to give it a foot massage.

When my cat Tort was at his fattest* he was incapable of properly cleaning himself. So at least once a day I cleaned his butt for him.

That's right. Part of my pet ownership involved wiping a cat's ass. Honestly, I'd much rather give him a foot massage.

*He has, thankfully, lost a lot of weight and is now capable of handling all of his own grooming.

Just had sashimi, yakitori and gyoza for my birthday lunch with my dad who has come over from Australia for a while. Life's good.

I found an awesome Neon Genesis Evangelion phone setup online yesterday. I spent forever getting it working but I think it turned out pretty sweet.

But even though I like it I think may change it back soon. For one thing this new setup kills my battery life and secondly I can't figure out how to change the weathers location since the stupid program is in Japanese. But still I had fun setting it up and I think I will keep it for at least a few days.

A lot of swearing and $20 later, I've got AC back in my car. It means a lot when said car is black, filled to the brim with a black (mostly) leather interior.

The kids and I got invited last minute to a potluck block party today. There was going to be a big inflatable water slide for the kids, lots of food, and so on. I decided I couldn't handle the throng of neighborhood kids and wasn't in a festive mood anyway. So I stayed home with the kids instead. I inflated their little swimming pool, put on some surf rock, and enjoyed the beautiful sunny weather though I had pangs of guilt for keeping my children from playing with other kids.
A little later on one of my neighbors was walking home with her two children and a friend. She stopped to chat and told me I had the right idea by not going to that party. Turns out the water slide was a disaster. Her son ended up getting a bloody nose while playing on the slide (don't know if he collided with another kid or exactly what happened). She said it was so chaotic she had a headache and was going to go lie down once she was home. The entire party lasted about 1.5 -2 hours.

tldr; I made the right choice by staying home rather than going to a neighborhood party. I really enjoyed my day sitting in my yard while watching my kids play in their pool.