Minor victory thread

Got a cold and feel like crap. But I have the night off, so I can just lounge around on the computer or go right back to bed with no consequences.

I was scheduled to have a meeting with my supervisor today (we're mandated by our overseer to have them every two weeks). She drops by the desk and says, "Okay, we had our meeting. It went well, you're doing a fine job. We discussed all the numerous problems we've been having with IT the whole time. We'll have another meeting in two weeks." Because basically, she didn't feel like having a pointless meeting.

Took the four rat girls to the vet for their first check-up. Everyone's in awesome health, their spays have healed nicely. Our vet, who we've known for four years, also condensed the price down to one rat's worth and just saved us a ton of money. The girls are a little older than we'd thought; we'd estimated age ranges of 3 to 6 months, but the vet told us it's more like 8 months to a year. It's okay; we'll enjoy having them as long as we have them, just surprising.

We also picked up the ashes of our last boy, Hermes, and put his box next to his brother. I cried again because that's how I am over my little creatures, but I'm happy to have his remains here, and his paw print. Geez, he was a monster. I forgot how enormous his feet were. The girls will never get near that size.

Hahaha... MWAHAHAHAHA!

After several weeks of duct tape and cardboard and difficulties, I've finally constructed an inescapable out-of-cage enclosure for the rats. How did I do it?

I weighed gatorade bottles against the cardboard ends so they'd stay pressed to the couch! The rats got out of the cage, ran frantic trying to find a weak spot to push through, but even together the four of them aren't strong enough to push away those bottles of gatordate.

At last, I've outsmarthed tiny creatures who've only been alive for less than a year ... so accomplished, that's me.

One suddenly pops up over Zero's shoulder to look at the computer screen.
"Hey Daddy, what'cha doin'?"
There have been moments where I've sat down in the past couple weeks, thinking I'd solved the problem, only to see someone scurry away. Funny thing is, they go right back the moment they see me. They know where they're supposed to be; the escape thing is just a game.

I just woke up from a dream where I opened up the enclosure and let them out into the room. For no reason.

They're sending me psychic messages, obviously.

GasBandit

Staff member
So I got those 3 fillings today. Took less than an hour, went off without a hitch, only pain was the shot to numb me up. I'll take it. I'd been pretty nervous about what getting 3 cavities filled on one trip might have entailed (especially since the cavities were between the teeth, not in the top of the teeth), but my concern seems to have been for naught.

fade

Staff member
Every time someone uses the phrase "for naught", I read their post in the voice of the captain from Spaceballs.

There have been moments where I've sat down in the past couple weeks, thinking I'd solved the problem, only to see someone scurry away. Funny thing is, they go right back the moment they see me. They know where they're supposed to be; the escape thing is just a game.

I just woke up from a dream where I opened up the enclosure and let them out into the room. For no reason.

They're sending me psychic messages, obviously.
Cranium rats!

Too many and they become Many-As-One.

I was a bit shocked this morning when someone randomly said to me while checking my grocery list, "Hi Jason!". Happens to be this woman named Mary, whom I had repeated carnal relations with around the time I met my wife in 2000. She aged.... VERY WELL. It was surprising to state the least, considering we knew each other from east end Montreal and boom, suddenly meet in a grocery store in central Laval (15 KM away).

We chatted a bit, my mind wandering the dirty dirty things this woman was capable of. Noticed her looking at my hands, I remembered forgetting to put on my wedding ring in the morning (was tired and Leyla woke up early - sue me). After a few minutes catching up and me not revealing a whole lot, she wants to give me her number so we can go out for coffee or something with this DEVILISH LOOK ON HER FACE.

I smiled and fessed up the truth, wife.. daughter... was too lazy putting on the ring in the morning... after her initial reaction... (disappointment?!?) she goes... keep the number... "Just in case you might need it later on this week" smiled and went along her way.

Sigh.

YOU WOMEN

After much deliberation and debate with my mentor, we are basing our next attempt at research funding on an idea I have.

The idea is to blast mice in the brain with lasers to see if it fixes their depressive-like behavior and makes them happy.

This idea is based on current literature and has a good chance of working.

I love my job.

After much deliberation and debate with my mentor, we are basing our next attempt at research funding on an idea I have.

The idea is to blast mice in the brain with lasers to see if it fixes their depressive-like behavior and makes them happy.

I love my job.
If the mice develop mutant powers, will you give them to me?

YOU WOMEN
Well, @Jay once women learn that you are both married and have a baby, they will find you irresistible. You won't be able to go out in public again. It happens to all of us, you'll need to find a way to deal with it. Myself, I deflected all the unwanted affection by becoming a hobo. Maybe if you became a Leafs fan they might shun you.

I love my job.
Didn't someone already do this? Wait, no, that was basal ganglia-based research, turning mice off and on with lasers.

--Patrick

If the mice develop mutant powers, will you give them to me?
Of course! You could also request Mighty Mice (http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/sebin/n/t/mighty_mouse.jpg) or Ob/Ob mice (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vZFaeEH3FTw/S8HMiKqjBiI/AAAAAAAAAFE/QBKHRa_aUYI/s320/leanobese_mice400.jpg) from labs if you want mice with mutant superpowers!

If I could get a grant off this, I totally would.

Didn't someone already do this? Wait, no, that was basal ganglia-based research, turning mice off and on with lasers.

--Patrick
Yeah; the idea--using mice that respond to light stimulation of the brain--has been around for quite some time, but it's something that our lab hasn't really done in the past (and, frankly, I'm surprised everything's fallen into place the way it has)! They've done it for a lot of different things, but I just like the "lasers = science" angle for most people without a lot of scientific background.

I love my job.
"Now, for this next test, which I designed myself, we're going to be blasting mice in the brain with lasers. The idea is that this'll eliminate any depressive-like behavior, because quite frankly if lasers don't make you happy, then nothing will. No idea if it'll work, to be honest we're mostly doing it on a bet. Best thing that can happen, the mice'll throw a party and maybe write some love songs. Worst case scenario, they turn into killer mice-men, in which case we know what our next test will be. Cave Johnson, we're done here."

fade

Staff member
That's the best kind. Frankly, it's why modern physics bores me sometimes. It's all idol worshiping and minor refinements.

"Now, for this next test, which I designed myself, we're going to be blasting mice in the brain with lasers. The idea is that this'll eliminate any depressive-like behavior, because quite frankly if lasers don't make you happy, then nothing will. No idea if it'll work, to be honest we're mostly doing it on a bet. Best thing that can happen, the mice'll throw a party and maybe write some love songs. Worst case scenario, they turn into killer mice-men, in which case we know what our next test will be. Cave Johnson, we're done here."
I love you for this.